Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 4/0 Penn issues
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

sad.gif posted on 10-29-2016 at 05:09 AM
4/0 Penn issues

http://
My #113 Senator has an Accurate frame and rings with the original side plates. I got a little lazy (ala Osprey) and did not take it down after my last trip. Last weekend I cleaned it and in the process sheared off two of the screws flush with the surface - ugh. I have two questions:
1. How in the world would I ever get them out?
2. Do you think it really matters if I never do?
http://

[Edited on 10-29-2016 by Santiago]
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 05:47 AM

I would put it on a table at my next garage sale and hope nobody noticed the missing screws. Lots of better reels out there for not a whole lot of money...

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 07:58 AM

Ask Alan

Here is the Penn Senator section.

And the Accurate section.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 09:31 AM

dtbushpilot - let me know when you're having your next garage sale.

That's a great modified reel. I certainly wouldn't get rid of it. If I was you, I'd either use it as-is, or would try to get the screw out.

This is the classic problem with dissimilar metals & salt water - crevice corrosion. Assuming you can get the side plate off: I'd probably get a hollow drill bit and try to hog out some of the aluminum around the SS screw - just enough to get some needle nose pliers around the screw. Spray it with PB Blaster about 24 hours before you do this, and then take a punch and give that stud a few whacks to try to break it free, before trying to unscrew it. If you're successful and you didn't drill too deep with the hollow drill, you'll still have some threads left to hold on to a new screw. If you're unsuccessful, just keep using the reel until it dies - I doubt the functionality of the reel is compromised by just two screws missing.

If you decide to get rid of the reel, please let me know. :)
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 09:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by imlost  
dtbushpilot - let me know when you're having your next garage sale.

That's a great modified reel. I certainly wouldn't get rid of it. If I was you, I'd either use it as-is, or would try to get the screw out.

This is the classic problem with dissimilar metals & salt water - crevice corrosion. Assuming you can get the side plate off: I'd probably get a hollow drill bit and try to hog out some of the aluminum around the SS screw - just enough to get some needle nose pliers around the screw. Spray it with PB Blaster about 24 hours before you do this, and then take a punch and give that stud a few whacks to try to break it free, before trying to unscrew it. If you're successful and you didn't drill too deep with the hollow drill, you'll still have some threads left to hold on to a new screw. If you're unsuccessful, just keep using the reel until it dies - I doubt the functionality of the reel is compromised by just two screws missing.

If you decide to get rid of the reel, please let me know. :)

I've left strict instructions to have a few of my old-timey reels buried with me:
1. Garcia spinning reel circa early 50s.
2. Collection of Penn 500 Jigmasters.
3. Ocean City Inductor bait cast (early use of magnets to reduce backlash).
4. Entire collection of Senators from 1/0 to 6/0.
5. Fenwick fly rod just after they figured out the 'Feralite' process.
"get rid of the reel"....indeed.

The screw locations are where there used to be the bars that connected the two sideplates but with the frame and rings from Accurate, I think they are really not needed. Of course, they do tie the rings to the frame......
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 09:56 AM

I "promise" to bury them with you, but you'll need to send them to me while you're still alive. :yes: I'm a fisherman - I would never lie.
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by imlost  

Spray it with PB Blaster about 24 hours before you do this,

. :)

Mouse milk works well also.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 10:54 AM

have a couple of screws loose or missing a few screws, not the sharpest knife in the drawer. no problem
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 10:57 AM

You could always buy another used one on E Bay and swap out the upgrades. Nice to have a parts reels handy anyway.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 10:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bledito  
have a couple of screws loose or missing a few screws, not the sharpest knife in the drawer. no problem

Now that's funny right there:lol:
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 11:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
You could always buy another used one on E Bay and swap out the upgrades. Nice to have a parts reels handy anyway.

Russ, that won't work, they are broken off flush with the surface of the frame.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 11:03 AM

I thought you could swap out the frame. Anyway I looked one E Bay and here's what I found under used 4/0 Penn reels
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_osacat=180092&...

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 11:48 AM

Use it the way it is. Drilling out those tiny stainless screws will be a pain.
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2016 at 05:00 AM

What's the problem with it other than a few broken screws? Attempting to repair might cause it more damage than just leaving it alone. I'd use it as is. Fish don't care.

I suggest next time put Noalox on all s/s hardware that is going to be exposed to the elements. Also s/s galls very easily just by itself and will corrode rapidly in dissimilar metal scenarios like yours. We use it on all the s/s hardware for attaching radio antennas to extension poles as well as attaching new galvanized structural members on FAA antenna towers on our installation projects. It's only $3 at Home Depot (don't need much). Be careful with it because if you get it on your clothing it will not come off!

http://www.homedepot.com/s/noalox?NCNI-5

[Edited on 10-30-2016 by Lobsterman]
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2016 at 08:39 AM

That is a reasonably easy fix. You take the whole side plate off and the two broken screws usually have enough sticking up from the center to grab ahold of with a small vice grip. Make sure they are soaked in anti corrosion and penetrating oil. I have done this fix a dozen times or so. If they are broken below the surface you have two options. Drill out and set a insert into the larger hole. This is usually relegated to a machine shop. If there is enough metal you can take a dremel and cut a slot and then use a screwdriver to back out the studs.

This can be avoided by using lots of grease every time you take the reel apart and coating the threads and hole with a water proof grease like Yamalube.

If you are less than handy, any of the good reel repair shops in CA can do this with no problem.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-30-2016 at 09:45 AM

I've done this before...

soak with a penetrating oil
solder another screw on top of the broken screw and
unscrew it

it works

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2016 at 12:07 PM

The easiest way to extract small diameter screws that have been broken off is with an EDM (electrical discharge machine) which are only found in a well equipped machine shop that regularly manufactures expensive small instrumentation components. These machines burn out what is left of the screw, using an appropriately sized electrode, reducing it to tiny particles and leaving the threaded body intact. This of course is not available in Baja, but are fairly common in So. Cal if you have a connection. May not be worth the setup cost in a case like this.
Agree, in this case useing the reel as is should not be a problem.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.