BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Hit by big rig near Catavina on 10/15 - not the ideal vacation! Part 1
CatCrazyJulie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2016 at 10:50 PM
Hit by big rig near Catavina on 10/15 - not the ideal vacation! Part 1

We've always told people that the biggest danger in Baja is not the storied bandidos, but the narrow open range roads and the big trucks making time.

Did we jinx ourselves?

So there we were, having finished lunch at Mama Espinozas, heading south, with ultimate goal being to spend 6 weeks in Cabo Pulmo in the East Cape. We've been going to Pulmo since 2000, and own a lot and have dear friends there. We were traveling in our 2010 Tundra 4x4, pulling our 26' Keystone Cougar. Near kilometer marker 159, about 5 miles north of Catavina, there was a sudden major jarring impact from the rear, and trailer swung toward the left (driver's side). Mark says "We've had a blowout!", and works on getting vehicle control. We were being forced into the oncoming lane, and the trailer was jacknifing foward toward the truck. Mark has been a heavy equipment operator, and I trusted he would get it under control. I wasn't scared or worried. Then Mark said, in a startled voice, "I can't get control!" Very quickly, we went off the side of the road, where there was the usual downslope, and the truck began to tip over toward the passenger side. I threw my arms over my head (not having any other helpful ideas), and then the world turned into a chaos of noise and dust and violent movement.

At some point it stopped. We're still not sure whether we rolled once or twice. I don't clearly remember Mark kicking his door open, which he had to do because it was so stuck. I do remember him opening my door, and as I got out, we both saw the blood dripping in quantity down my right arm. That was the first time Mark seemed scared. I noticed that I seemed to have good movement in my arm, so didn't think there were broken bones, and oddly no pain, even though the wound looked like a good-sized dog had ripped a 3"x3" chunk from my arm. From somewhere we found a towel to wrap my arm and slow bleeding. We were both still "dazed and confused", to put it mildly.

A blond guy ran up, and seemed to breathe a sigh of relief. "I expected to find dead people!" he said. We told him we didn't know what had happened. He said, "Your trailer was hit by that big rig!" He pointed behind us. We looked to the other side of the truck. There, about 20 feet from the cab of our truck, off the road, was indeed a big rig, with a lot of damage to the front bumper and grill. Stephen (as we later learned the blond guy's name; he was headed south with a surfing buddy, gave us his contact info, and offered to be a witness) told us that the big rig driver had tried to pass 3 cars at once on the straight section of road. He first passed Stephen, then the middle car, but must have miscalculated side clearance when he reached our trailer, because the right front of his truck hit the left side of our trailer. He wasn't able to slow enough to stop from pushing the trailer ahead of him, jackknifing it toward the truck, and he ultimately pushed us off the side of the road. The weird thing about this, in retrospect, was that we couldn't see that there was a big rig pushing us, because he had pushed the trailer in front of him, and the jackknifing trailer blocked our view to the rear. If we'd known there was a big rig back there, we would have been a hell of a lot more scared as the truck went out of control.

The big rig driver, named Paco, didn't appear to be injured. I asked him, "Como estas?", and he said "Asustado." (scared) Later, someone who knew him personally told me that she had asked him, "Why did you try to pass like that?", and he replied, "I don't know."

In short order, two Catavina Municipal Police arrived. But they said that we had to wait for the Federales to arrive to do the accident report, and it might take two hours for them to arrive from San Quintin. Two trucker friends of Paco, who apparently were caravaning with him, arrived - they had been waiting for him in Catavina, and when he didn't artive, and then didn't answer his radio, they backtracked to find him. One of these drivers was bilingual, which was a great help. I'm usually able to speak enough Spanish to handle most situations, but am not fluent, and since I was dealing with a badly cut arm, as well a lot of pain in my head and my back, I wasn't at my most focused. Mark speaks virtually no Spanish, so it helped tremendously having a bilingual person there. And the other trucker had some first aid training. We dug our never-before-used First Aid Kit out from under our truck seat, and the trucker put on gloves, used the antiseptic wipes to clean the wound as best possible, and did a great job binding it in gauze. This normally would be something Mark would do, but he was feeling pretty shaky, and relieved to turn it over to someone else.

Mark had found one of our beach chairs in the scattered wreckage, as well as a damaged but semi-functional beach umbrella, so I could sit down in the shade (it was 85-90 degrees). Someone brought over a baggy of ice to put on the rapidly swelling aching lump on my forehead.

A number of other people driving by stopped and asked how they could help. We appreciated every one of them. One offered to get a message to our friend Richard (Ricardo), in Cabo Pulmo, as soon as she got to where there was a signal.

After about an hour, feeling less dazed, I got up to walk to the back of the truck, and saw the wreckage of the trailer for the first time. And now understood Mark's look of devastation. Our trailer, which we had bought new less than two years before, was decimated. I almost cried then. But there was too much to do. I couldn't help with any lifting, but was able to help Mark figure out in what part of the trailer our most expensive and valued items were: laptop, dive cameras, good binoculars....and the only copy of our fideicomiso that we have!

By this time, the towing guys had arrived. One of the truck drivers offered to let us use one of their huge empty containers to store our stuff, and we could lock it and keep the key until we came back to get the salvaged items. This seemed to be our best option, trusting in the good will of these folks - there was some risk, but we didn't have a lot of other options, given that I in particular needed to get to a doctor asap, and we were in a cell phone signal desert. All of the able guys around helped carry items into the container, peeling away entire walls of the collapsed trailer to access different areas.

The bilingual trucker suggested we give the towing guys a tip for their help, suggesting 200 pesos. We gave them 400. Given how much pain Mark was in, and my limitations, their help had been tremendous.

After 2 hours, the Federales arrived. They said an ambulance was on the way to take us to San Quintin. The bilingual trucker said quietly to me, "anything that's valuable, take with you in the ambulance. If you leave it here, it will be stolen, that's certain." Much appreciated guidance, and as it turned out, completely accurate.

There was a territorial dispute between the municipal police and the federal police about who should write the report. Now that the Federales were there, they said the municipal police were supposed to write up the accident. The 4 officers moved away to discuss further amongst themselves.

The accident had occurred at about 2pm. Now it was getting dark. The ambulance arrived...about 6pm, 4 hours after the accident. They wanted us to rush to get into the ambulance, with our most valuable belongings...and our 18-year-old blind Maine Coon cat, Jerry! Jerry had been in the back seat of the truck when it rolled, and his long thick hair was covered in dust, but he seemed uninjured, albeit disoriented and nervous. He got packed into his cat carrier for transport on the ambulance.

Mark got into the ambulance after the tech had done another cleaning and re-wrap of my arm wound. The two federales were back in the midst of the wreck, apparently writing the report. The tow guys were still there. And the last thing Mark saw before entering the ambulance was five more men emerge from the shadows and descend onto the scene of the wreck.

To be continued....

(Having trouble getting photos down to 250k limit without getting too pixilated.

wreck showing truck, trailer and big rig reduced3.jpg - 220kB

[Edited on 11-1-2016 by CatCrazyJulie]

[Edited on 11-1-2016 by CatCrazyJulie]
bajario
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 05:07 AM

Wow!! So glad you're able to tell the story. From the looks of it something more than luck was watching over you three.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 06:06 AM

What a horrific experience you have had and thank you for sharing your experience.
Best wishes for a good outcome and continuation of your vacation.

W

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Sweatpeas
Banned

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 07:22 AM

Glad you guys are alright. Where's Coco when you need him?
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 07:24 AM

Oh my goodness Julie...you must have some very helpful guardian angels to survive that and the Creator must have some important work for you still to do on this side!!!

You are so right that the most dangerous thing about Baja is the highway and every time we set out on it, we make sure to say I love you to our families and friends...just in case. Towing a trailer or boat increases the danger twofold...but I am glad it wasn't your day tol leave this beautiful planet. I hope you and your husband recover from your trauma quickly...and to everyone traveling...drive slow and extra carefully.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 07:47 AM

and you walked away!
the rest is just stuff. precious and wanted, but stuff.
so glad you are able to post this today.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 07:59 AM

That`s horrible. So glad you guys made it. Hope things have settled down and you are recuperating down at the cape.
Thanks for reporting here.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 08:13 AM

The newspaper said it was a head-on collision. It will be interesting to see what the accident report says.

http://www.elvigia.net/el-valle/2016/10/17/encontronazo-tran...

The ambulance was Halcones del Desierto Grupo de Rescate, El Rosario, Baja California, whom I hope you are supporting since they exist by donations only. Their leader is a NOMAD member (Antonio) and owner of the El Rosario PEMEX.

[Edited on 11-1-2016 by rts551]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

whoaaaaaaaaaaaaa you are two lucky kids. Thanks for sharing, the information is invaluable.

I am guessing it would be Antonio's Baja Cactus ambulance people who came?

Those photos are horrifying....the stuff of nightmares. Who was the photographer?

Presumably you are in front of the beautiful sea as you write, relaxing. snorkeling. fishing. breathing.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

Julie, you, Mark, and Jerry are very lucky! As you are telling this story, everything worked has worked out and you are OK. I hope you didn't lose to much stuff.
Thank you for telling us the story and it's outcome. We all can learn from your hardship. Looking forward to the rest of the story.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 08:28 AM

Wow! So lucky and unlucky at the same time. It will take some time but you will get over it. Baja giveth baja taketh away. Thanks for posting.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 08:47 AM

Very nice piece of writing Julie.

How fortunate that this was not your turn to leave this earth.

We have been driving the Baja roads and Mexico 1 for close to 50 years and have seen the aftermath of dozens of big rig wrecks, but fortunately never been in an accident with them or anyone else. We now live in Ensenada, and I am still amazed by the stunts that the passenger car drivers and motorcycles pull. I don't think that these people have respect for their lives, let alone others.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

CatCrazyJulie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 08:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajario  
Wow!! So glad you're able to tell the story. From the looks of it something more than luck was watching over you three.

We keep saying, "There must be something else we're supposed to do with our lives," or that would have been the end. We're not traditionally religious, but you can't walk away from something like that and not be grateful to still be walking, and mostly okay. And the question becomes: "Okay, what do I want to do with this extra time I have?"

Frankly, I'm even glad for the sake of Paco, the big rig driver, that we weren't hurt more seriously. Although we're not exactly happy with him for screwing up so badly while trying to pass us, and all the time and angst that's costing us, he didn't seem like a bad guy, and I'm glad he doesn't have to live with the guilt of killing or seriously maiming two people.
CatCrazyJulie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sweatpeas  
Glad you guys are alright. Where's Coco when you need him?

We were probably a little outside Coco's rescue radius;)
CatCrazyJulie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Frightening.
Glad you are able to tell your story.

Yes, frightening is the word, especially in retrospect. At the time, there wasn't time to really be frightened. Only to react.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 09:21 AM

Thank you for sharing this Julie... So scary when it is totally beyond any fault of control of your own that caused this.

Antonio (Baja Cactus) of the Halcones del Desierto (Desert Hawks) emergency rescue service of El Rosario posted about the accident with photos: https://www.facebook.com/HalconesdelDesierto/

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 09:55 AM

OH MY,, your both so lucky to be alive
fixtrauma
Nomad

Mood: Monomaniac

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 10:11 AM
Grateful--Grateful

I am sooooo grateful for your, Mark and Jerry's safety. What a destructive mess. I got about three lines into your writing and stopped so I could read it with my wife Linda. We have driven the beautiful Baja so many times over that last 22 years. We always experience at least one trucker that raises the hair on our necks. But you were so blindsided, had no clue he was even there!

Blessings to you Mark and Jerry in the days ahead.

We are driving through there again early January. Will think of you as we pass through the site.
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 01:25 PM

That area around Cataviņa is very isolated and difficult when it comes to accidents. Julie mentioned their accident happened around 2:00pm. We got the first call from the Federal Police requesting an ambulance at 4:18pm, that was over two hours after the incident... too long.

I immediately dispatched an ambulance and it took us over an hour to reach the site. Then coming back to El Rosario to find only one very simple clinic with no ER room. Very scary when there are serious injuries. Thankfully someone was looking over you guys and you were not seriously injured.

This is why we have been doing our best effort to set up a Desert Hawks Outpost in Cataviņa. We already have a group of volunteers trained and ready, they just need an ambulance and/or rescue vehicle to start helping out down there.

The Desert Hawks Fire and Rescue Project is a community effort that exists precisely to assist in these kind of emergencies. And when I say community effort I am also including BajaNomad members since many of you have become involved in our efforts and thanks to you we have been able to stay active.

By the way, those two ambulances that many of you helped brought down a couple of months ago from Oregon have been waiting for the Mexican Government approval to be cross into Mexico and we finally have been schedule to do so in a couple of days.

So, if everything goes right, we should have a fully active Rescue Unit in Cataviņa pretty soon... and all these in part because of you... THANK YOU!!!

Antonio Muņoz
Desert Hawks Fire and Rescue
Non-Profit Organization

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
CatCrazyJulie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 01:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thank you for sharing this Julie... So scary when it is totally beyond any fault of control of your own that caused this.

Antonio (Baja Cactus) of the Halcones del Desierto (Desert Hawks) emergency rescue service of El Rosario posted about the accident with photos: https://www.facebook.com/HalconesdelDesierto/

Ah, thank you for the link, David! I see that he says that the driver of the big rig was northbound, when he was southbound (as were we) at the time of the collision. The newspaper story had the same error.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.