BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Hit by big rig near Catavina on 10/15 - not the ideal vacation! Part 1
CatCrazyJulie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 01:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
whoaaaaaaaaaaaaa you are two lucky kids. Thanks for sharing, the information is invaluable.

I am guessing it would be Antonio's Baja Cactus ambulance people who came?

Those photos are horrifying....the stuff of nightmares. Who was the photographer?

Presumably you are in front of the beautiful sea as you write, relaxing. snorkeling. fishing. breathing.

Hi BajaBlanca - Yes, it was Antonio's Baja Cactus ambulance - more about the ambulance trip upcoming in the next chapter of the story:-). Either I or my husband took the photo that I posted with my story - we were at the site for 4 hours before the ambulance came, and both "ambulatory". The accident happened about 2pm, and from what's written below, evidently the call to the ambulance didn't go out until after 4:15 pm, which explains why they didn't arrive at the scene until about 6 pm.

We're at home in Morro Bay, CA, now, which has a beautiful sea, and my husband has already gone out sportfishing here, but I'm missing the warm Sea of Cortez waters! Had to come back home to address the wound in my right arm, which had such a deep cut from impact with the passenger window that it required surgery to repair, done last week. We might fly down for a quick vacay at Cabo Pulmo in a month or so, once we've got the complicated post-accident insurance situation dealt with.

Julie
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 01:53 PM

Antonio and you were online about the same time, as he replied before you saw it, perhaps. I will guess that Antonio got the driving directions from the newspaper, as well? Maybe the federal police reported the wrong direction to the newspaper?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 01:59 PM

Julie... we spoke briefly over the phone when you were at the clinic in El Rosario. I tried to reach you at BajaCactus the next morning to see if you needed any additional help and/or assistance but you had already left.

I figured you may be heading to the local Bus Station so I called the lady in charge (who happens to be my sister in law) and asked her to help you out in anyway if you happened to show up.

If there is anything you need down here to follow up on your accident please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for sharing your story and please give my best to Mark (Facebook quick report has been corrected... thank you).

Antonio Muñoz
Desert Hawks Fire and Rescue
Non-Profit Organization

[Edited on 11-1-2016 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
CatCrazyJulie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 02:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaCactus  
That area around Cataviña is very isolated and difficult when it comes to accidents. Julie mentioned their accident happened around 2:00pm. We got the first call from the Federal Police requesting an ambulance at 4:18pm, that was over two hours after the incident... too long.

Antonio Muñoz
Non-Profit Organization

Antonio - Hello! So you were the driver of the ambulance that day? I remember your face clearly, but my mind was not holding onto names that day. Thank you Thank you Thank you!

It was unnerving at the time, being dropped off in El Rosario, with no doctor on duty because it was a weekend, and no rental car agency or means of going north to a hospital. One of the volunteers was very helpful in finding us a hotel room at Baja Cactus, and taking me to a nearby market for supplies. I will write up the rest of the story about what happened after we got to El Rosario...might be 2 or 3 more episodes.:)

One request: do you have any input on the Halcones del Desierto facebook page? If so, it would be great if there could be a correction to the description of the accident. On the Halcones del Desierto facebook page post about the accident, it says that the big rig/trailer driver was northbound when the accident occurred. Actually, the trailer was headed southbound, attempting to pass 3 vehicles in a row. After he passed the first two vehicles, he got to us, and hit our trailer from behind, and ultimately pushed us off the road. That's why the photos don't show much damage to the front of the truck (and why the engine still started!): the damage on the truck is primarily from rolling over after we were pushed off the road. The roll knocked the camper shell off the top of the truck, including the kayak rack and our two kayaks...which ended up under the front tires of the big rig/trailer.
CatCrazyJulie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaCactus  
Julie... we spoke briefly over the phone when you were at the clinic in El Rosario. I tried to reach you at BajaCactus the next morning to see if you needed any additional help and/or assistance but you had already left.

I figured you may be heading to the local Bus Station so I called the lady in charge (who happens to be my sister in law) and asked her to help you out in anyway if you happened to show up.

If there is anything you need down here to follow up on your accident please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for sharing your story and please give my best to Mark (Facebook quick report has been corrected... thank you).

Antonio Muñoz
Non-Profit Organization

Oh, Antonio, just now seeing this post, after my other reply! Of course I remember speaking with you on the phone. Thank you for your concern.

We did leave El Rosario a little after noon on Sunday. We wanted to get to the hospital in Ensenada, since my arm wound had glass in it, and looked like it might need special attention - it was deeper than it initially appeared; there was a flap of skin hiding a hole that went down to my elbow joint (as we later learned when we got to Ensenada). We didn't feel quite up to a long bus ride, since we were both in pain...plus we had our poor 18-year-old cat! So Mark went up to the Pemex station, and started asking people who were headed north if they could give us a ride to Ensenada. One of the guys who works at the Pemex station called a couple of his relatives, and they were available to drive us. Mark agreed to pay $200 US for a ride to Esenada; since it was a 5-hour drive, and we were in a hurry, that felt fair. We left right away, and got to Ensenada before dark, and were able to go to a hospital there.
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 02:29 PM

Julie... I was coordinating your emergency response from Tijuana.

When the call came in, I dispatched the ambulance with two of our volunteers. The driver was Lázaro (one of our Firefighters), the EMT in the back was Karely.

As soon as they arrived to the accident site, they reported back to me via radio that fortunately no one was in any life threatening situation. That was a relief.

Meanwhile in El Rosario, another one of our volunteers began looking for a doctor to receive you upon arrival, unfortunately no doctor was on duty at that time.

That other volunteer was Isela, who happens to be my wife and the one in charge of the Rescue Group when I am not in town (my Liutenent... hehehehe). I asked Isela to do her best effort to help you out. She was the one who took you to BajaCactus, to the market and the one who advised you not to buy those tacos at the Taco Stand north of BajaCactus... hehehehe.

I lost track of you the next day and I was unaware that you approached the staff at the Gas Station for help.

Looking forward to read the rest of your story.

Antonio Muñoz
Non-Profit Organization

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 02:35 PM

Wow, awesome!!!

For those who don't want to click on the Facebook link, here is the English translated post:

Our body of volunteers responded on the day of today to a clash in the 159 km (south of El Rosario). Apparently a trailer that was traveling to the south, while trying to pass a line of three vehicles, hit the trailer of an American couple who also was traveling south, causing them to lose control and taking them out of the road. Fortunately no one was seriously injured, which is why I moved to the couple to a clinic in the village of El Rosario so that they could receive medical attention. Halcones Del Desierto Grupo de Rescate always at the service of those who need it..." together we can save lives!!!".

[Edited on 11-1-2016 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 03:51 PM

Wow, what an intense story this has been. I read about the accident elsewhere and was puzzled when I saw that it was described as a "head on collision" (where was the damage to the front of the vehicles?) Thank you for posting the information; most of the people on this forum have driven that stretch many times, some of us with a boat or trailer in tow. I always cringe (slightly) when a semi passes in the opposite direction and I feel my Suburban & boat sway just a a bit; never thought about getting clipped when a semi tried to pass from behind. Just add it to the list of things to be aware of when towing (and why I would absolutely never tow a boat at night).

I'm also really amazed at the service that Antonio provides; so much effort has gone into helping travelers in what can only be described as one of the most desolate places on earth. I feel better knowing that he's out there; and I hope that I never have to use his services.

Look forward to hearing the rest of the story.
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 04:45 PM

Well thank goodness everyone survived. amazing story and the Desert Hawks, like the Cruz Roja, deserve support. Now, lets hear about the desert vultures! Vultures need love too --
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 04:56 PM

You can reduce your chances of another such accident by not pulling a trailer and driving a smaller vehicle. I had an accident years ago with a cabover camper that was clipped by a passing vehicle. I feel much much safer with the Tacoma.

So let me get this straight. You never had a blowout. It just seemed like it because the truck was swerving due to the pushed trailer?

Well thank you lucky stars. But I would think about what to do to reduce your risks. There's always the chance of being hit by a boracho, something out of your control. But these trucks are the greatest danger on that highway.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 06:14 PM

surgery? you are indeed a trooper.

Antonio is the owner of the BajaCactus hotel and the amazing human who is working so hard to get ambulances north and south. Scary that there is no doc available for emergencies...CA RAM BA.

Get better soon and hope your hubby is OK.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 07:00 PM

If/when you replace your rigs, consider installing a rear facing video camera on the back of the trailer with the small monitor up front on the dash. Supplement with a forward facing dash cam. Some great units out there, lets you know what is coming up behind you and can provide proof of events if needed.

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

Well thank you lucky stars. But I would think about what to do to reduce your risks. There's always the chance of being hit by a boracho, something out of your control. But these trucks are the greatest danger on that highway.

[Edited on 11-2-2016 by bajaguy]
wlynch43

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 07:55 AM

Terrible. So sory about your terrible accident. Someone was watching over you for sure. Never been down baja til recently and was more than concerned about the narrow road and large trucks. As unusual as it sounds felt one would be safer on a motorcycle than a vehicle due to the narrow roads and ability to accelerate away from danger. Hope all works out well for you.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 08:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wlynch43  
Terrible. So sory about your terrible accident. Someone was watching over you for sure. Never been down baja til recently and was more than concerned about the narrow road and large trucks. As unusual as it sounds felt one would be safer on a motorcycle than a vehicle due to the narrow roads and ability to accelerate away from danger. Hope all works out well for you.

The difference is on a motorcycle, an accident will hurt you bad. In a vehicle, the cage protects you, so injuries less severe.
Subject of this post is good case illustrating why it pays to wear you seat belts and drive a vehicle with strong roof and well-built crumple zones.
Nobody is "watching over you," your survival depends on defensive driving, and using the safety features of modern cars.
wlynch43

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 09:13 AM

Exactly why I bring up riding here. No one more defensive than a good rider for the exact reasons you state. Couple that with more room to manuever and instant acceleration not available to most cages I for one would feel safer on my bike. I too thought about pulling RV down but doubt it now. If I ever come again I will ride
. At any rate getting off topic here, I truly hope this situation works out in some sort of positive manner for these people. My thoughts are with you.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 07:00 PM

I checked on you after the accident
you were shaken but OK

not that it makes a big difference, but it seems your trailer had been rear ended. Weird, but it looks like the right rear - that would explain why your trailer moved (was pushed) into the other lane.
Semi may have been trying to pull in behind you after passing the other 2 vehicles and hit you.

Neither your left rear corner nor your trailer's left side has a scratch.

Hope things are working out for you and your injuries are healing fast.

I have had my trailer hit by an oncoming semi and know the nightmare that can follow. I was lucky to be able to keep my truck and the trailer on the road. The semi overturned.

Harald Pietschmann
KevinFromUtah

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 08:47 PM

Hey, welcome to the club.

Back in 2012 my 4Runner rolled off the road a little bit south of Catavina. Though unlike you, it was our own fault.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=64627#pid7837...

Definitely a rattling experience, glad to know you made it out okay and so many were willing to help.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 10:29 PM

There's a chance that the trailer may have drifted over into the other lane just as the truck was approaching. The back of that trailer was probably a good 45 feet from where the driver was steering and the control just isn't as great that far. It could have been unnoticeable.

Nobody can be fully aware of everything on that road every second of the drive. Usually I pay particular attention when an oncoming truck is coming. The scariest moments are always when a large truck blows by you from the aware. You feel really vulnerable.

I had a minor accident with my cabover when a large RV clipped me while passing. When I caught up he claimed that I drifted over. I denied it. But the truth is I don't really know because I never saw him and my mind was not fully focused on the exact position of the truck. I felt he was shifting the blame on me for an irresponsible act on his part.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 11-6-2016 at 01:48 PM

Wow! You are so lucky. Thanks for sharing.
We were in our Tundra going south in US I-5 a few weeks ago on our way to Palm Springs. My was wife driving in the slow lane. We were forced off onto a steep soft shoulder. My first thought was we are going to roll. She kept the wheel straight but caught the front in a soft spot the swung our rear end over. We hit a barrier almost head on at about 50 mph. People stopped to help. The driver of the other truck just drove on. Glad this happened to us in the US.
How did it go with the Mexican insurance?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.