Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Fatty Brisket Recipe
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 10:27 AM
Fatty Brisket Recipe

This recipe can be cooked in an oven as well as a outdoor grill or smoker.

In my continual quest to find the easiest and best smoked brisket recipe, here is my last attempt.  It is modeled (a few changes) after a pit master's recipe he shared with me at his Texas BBQ dive in Hollywood by the Burbank Airport.

Noon -  Bought a 21 lb PRIME brisket from the Costco Business store in Kearney Mesa, CA for $2.79/lb for a total of $56. I look for the biggest brisket I can find that has a complete fat side with no meat showing.  I also look at the marbling in the meat side.  Also I buy a "left-handed" brisket.  It just so happened this time that the biggest brisket met these requirements.

12:30 - Took brisket out of bag and placed it fat side down in the larger steamer pan (picture).  Do not wash the brisket or cut away any fat. Just use paper towels to dry it. Liberally shake Worchester sauce all over the meat and rub it in. Make sure it is holding as much Worchester sauce as possible. Next in order liberally shake a layer out of its box or dispenser, kosher salt, pepper, mustard powder, galic powder, onion powder, chili powder, chipotle chili powder (heat) and paprika. it should be mounting on top of the meat.  Do not rub in. Do not flip over and season the fatside yet.  You will do that later when you flip the brisket over while smoking it.

1:00pm - Place brisket meat side UP (seasoned) in smoker. Set smoker for 225 degrees. Do not look at it until you flip it.

7:00pm - Turn brisket over to fat side up for the rest of the smoking process.  Season fat with salt and pepper and any other seasoning you prefer. Place a remote temperature probe in it capable of reaching your bedroom.

8:00pm - Go to sleep with remote temperature reader next to you.

05:00am - Got up when the remote reader read 185 degrees.

05:05am - check brisket with a manual probe to verify the 185 degrees throughout the brisket.  It should penetrate the meat like going into a stick of room temperature butter.

05:05 am - Place the brisket fat side up back into the larger steamer pan with a rack on the bottom.  The rack should be at least 1/2" off the bottom. Placed 4 cups or more of beef broth in the pan but not enough to touch the meat side of the brisket. Place a sheet of aluminum foil over the brisket and seal to pan.  Leave it alone at room temperature for 6-12 hours to let the juices redistribute throughout the meat.

1:00pm - Start cutting up the brisket for lunch and freeze for up to a year.

Below are some pictures of the finished product and a couple of meals I had with it.

Finished Fatty Brisket, fat side up.

Do not cut any of the fat off the finished FATTY brisket.  It is self-basting when sautéed.  The fat can be cutoff later. It is also another layer of protection when freezing it.

Brisket cooking in gravy made with its beef stock.

Hot brisket sandwich. My favorite meal with the brisket (removed fat).

Brisket slices with home made Texas BBQ sauce. Notice that the fat is left on while sautéing the brisket.

Before vacuum sealing place each brisket slice into the beef stock from smoked brisket for added flavoring.

Ended up with 25 packages (2-3 meals each) of brisket for the freezer.  Thus 50+ meals for about $60. Freezes very well for up to a year.
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 12:04 PM

think i'll have mine with some Reaper jam,, nice job

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 12:17 PM

You just made it very hard to enjoy the quesadilla that I am about to eat.

I want what you had!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 12:18 PM

Lobsterman that looks real tasty.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 12:38 PM

Sounds tasty, but this quote from Lobsterman, scares me," I look for the biggest brisket I can find that has a complete fat side with no meat showing!"

Lobsterman, I also notice you eat the brisket, with Wonder White bread! Isn't there a better tasking if not healthier, bread you could be eating the brisket with? ( one of the photos shows a loaf of white bread, and so I assume, he eats Wonder bread.)

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 12:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Sounds tasty, but this quote from Lobsterman, scares me," I look for the biggest brisket I can find that has a complete fat side with no meat showing!"

Lobsterman, I also notice you eat the brisket, with Wonder White bread! Isn't there a better tasking if not healthier, bread you could be eating the brisket with? ( one of the photos shows a loaf of white bread, and so I assume, he eats Wonder bread.)

what other bread builds strong body's 12 ways? might come in handy if you ever decide to have that cup of coffee!;)
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 01:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

what other bread builds strong body's 12 ways? might come in handy if you ever decide to have that cup of coffee!;)

That plate has all the food groups! Beef and white bread. (And doesn't Wonder have extra vitamins?) Couldn't ask for a healthier meal!
When I lose all my teeth, I too will eat soft meat and soft bread, and skip the vegetables and fruit.

[Edited on 11-5-2016 by mtgoat666]
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 02:14 PM

Thanks for the replies.

However, you both need to get out from under your rocks once in awhile and visit the cultures and places throughout the USA. A Texas BBQ is not complete without being served with "white bread". I just try to represent the culture I'm cooking for in this case The Great State of Texas. I'm sure these meals would go just as well with a tortilla but....

You seemed to miss the point of leaving the fat on the brisket. It is for the protection of the meat from drying out over a 16-20 hour smoking process and to protect the meat from freezer burn when froze in packages or chunks for another day. It can always be removed before eating. No. It can also be cut off after cooking and rendered to use in other recipes.

Your are correct that the meals are very tasty. My purpose for this thread is to share a low cost meal in bulk that's very easy to prepare for many say at a party and/or to freeze for many dinners in the future. I can see a BNer at their home NOB preparing a brisket or two and freezing it in small packages to take on a trip or to their home in Baja. This brisket is just as good cooked in an oven. I will be bringing a bunch of packages on my upcoming Baja fishing trip to BOLA this Spring for all to enjoy.

[Edited on 11-6-2016 by Lobsterman]
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 08:19 PM

You sir, do not know Texas BBQ.... "if you want healthy go someplace else".
White bread is the backbone of Good BBQ.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 08:35 PM

I thought the BBQ meat was the backbone of good BBQ, and the bread was a side.
But you say the bread is the backbone and the meat is a side dish.
Texas BBQ sounds kind of odd.

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 08:42 PM

Next month we will be in the Hill Country of Texas sampling some of the best brisket that can be found.

White bread is the cornerstone of a Texas brisket meal. ;D

Black's BBQ, Lockhart, Texas.

Nice post Lobsterman
MMc
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 08:43 PM

No, those pieces of crappy white bread are as much a part of the Texas BBQ experience as the meat. You need something to clean up the paper,
Although it is never enough.

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I thought the BBQ meat was the backbone of good BBQ, and the bread was a side.
But you say the bread is the backbone and the meat is a side dish.
Texas BBQ sounds kind of odd.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 08:45 PM

Thanks much ... always a good topic ... BBQ ... plus pic's

You're one cooking fool .. :):)

gave me an appetite ... for sure
MMc
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 08:54 PM

I do briskets as lunch meat all the time. Turkey, Tuna, Yellowtail, Brisket and Corned Beef are the sandwich meat we eat. Catch it or buy on sale, smoke it and package it. Cheaper and better than Oscar Mayer all day. This month will be 3 or 4 Turkeys at less than a buck per pound.

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2016 at 10:17 AM

I'll be here in BoLA this spring, how do I get invited to sample some of that excellent looking brisket?

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2016 at 11:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
I'll be here in BoLA this spring, how do I get invited to sample some of that excellent looking brisket?

Like this year I'll be down probably the last week in May depending on the wagon master's grand kid's graduation date. We'll be at Guillermo's again and will bring a small smoker grill along. I'll be bringing down prepared smoked brisket, pull pork, St Style ribs and the fixes for a true Texas BBQ in Baja including Wonder "White Bread". I've always wanted to meet you cuz you have been so helpful to others for many years. I'm a man of history and would like to pick your brain about BOLA my favorite place in Baja. Been to the Museum on each of our trips. I enjoyed my conversations with Antonio (turtle guy) while staying at his place in Archelon. May he RIP.

I first camped on then that deserted part of the beach by his place in 1984 and beached launched a 14' car-topper tin boat to fish the abundance of sea life all around.

Hopefully the YT will be running again. Hot smoked YT, YUM!

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 11-6-2016 at 12:25 PM

Well you got me, I thought I knew a lot about the backwards state of Texas, their love of gun, love of executing convicted criminals, although some innocent or suffering from a mental handicap. I knew of their love of big juicy steaks, and Texas BBQ, but I had no idea, that cheap very unhealthy white bread, is the staple bread of choice for Texas BBQ.

I laugh when Lobsterman, says, I need to visit other cultures, and seems to think Texas is another culture. Well I guess it is, especially if you never been outside of the USA and Mexico.

With California cuisine, Texas BBQ, is almost dead, because it's so old school, and really unhealthy.

So I guess it stands to reason, Texas BBQ, uses the most unhealthy bread it could find, and white bread says it all, in a largely ultraconservative, Jim Crow, loving type of state, that probably frowns upon it's citizens eating a darker colored bread.

That said, maybe about once a year, because I love BBQ Ribs of any kind, although I also know, I shouldn't be eating that type of meat. I will usually visit " Lucille's Smokehouse Bar-B-Que" that's all over Southern California, and one of the best BBQ ribs spot I have ever eaten at, but what do I know.

I have this dear woman friend who is from Texas, who I once invited to dinner, and I picked somewhere near her house, and because she is from Texas, I picked the "Texas Roadhouse" which is a chain of steak restaurants with a Texas theme. The steaks are very good for the value, or so I thought. ( I hope she didn't think I was cheap)

Later my friend, told me she liked the steak, but is going to have to invite me to Texas, so I could experience what a real Texas steak is like. I said, OK, let me know when you want to invite me.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2016 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lobsterman  
Quote: Originally posted by larryC  

Like this year I'll be down probably the last week in May depending on the wagon master's grand kid's graduation date. We'll be at Guillermo's again and will bring a small smoker grill along. I'll be bringing down prepared smoked brisket, pull pork, St Style ribs and the fixes for a true Texas BBQ in Baja including Wonder "White Bread". I've always wanted to meet you cuz you have been so helpful to others for many years. I'm a man of history and would like to pick your brain about BOLA my favorite place in Baja. Been to the Museum on each of our trips. I enjoyed my conversations with Antonio (turtle guy) while staying at his place in Archelon. May he RIP.

I first camped on then that deserted part of the beach by his place in 1984 and beached launched a 14' car-topper tin boat to fish the abundance of sea life all around.

Hopefully the YT will be running again. Hot smoked YT, YUM!

Like wise I would like to meet you, you have posted so many excellent recipes and I have some questions about smoking fish and other meats. Maybe in May if you are here long enough you can break free and come on down to the homestead and let me buy you a beer and pick your brain.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2016 at 02:20 PM

[/rquote]

yes you had me for sure on this until I saw the pic of wonder bread, YUK
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2016 at 02:29 PM

Not all Texas BBQ is served with wonder-type white bread. Some BBQ in Texas is served with quality, delicious bread
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.