Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Fatty Brisket Recipe
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 11-6-2016 at 02:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lobsterman  
I've been a member of this site for quite sometime and thinking back I'm trying to remember one positive reply or thread that these two gentlemen have offered to this site. They appear to have negative comments or offer innuendos to try and compromise ones replies or threads into something negative. A glass half full approach to life. Perhaps it's just in their MO and one must just have to tolerate such behavior if one is to post or reply to a thread on this side of BN. I know I have grown to do so.

However, I kinda just feel sorry for them for looking at the world through dark colored lens. Must be a pretty lonely place.

:biggrin::biggrin:

now lets get back to BBQ ... Something which many enjoy, regardless of "sides" served

btw ... what do you have "growing" :):) Busy guy ... which is great ... enjoy that you are so active ... keep it up, and don't forget to "snap" your safety

And the pic's are great ... from all ... maybe some from your meeting and cook out in Baja... next year

[Edited on 11-6-2016 by wessongroup]
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2016 at 03:54 PM

btw ... what do you have "growing" :):) Busy guy ... which is great ... enjoy that you are so active ... keep it up, and don't forget to "snap" your safety harness.

Wes,

I tried growing some Carolina Reaper chilies from the 10,000 seeds I harvested a few years ago but all died this time shortly after birth. I still have over a gallon of CR hot sauce in a frig I turned off a year ago. It's 2.5 years old now aged in vacuum sealed jars but I do not know if is still good. My friends are scared of it and will not sample it for me. So that chapter is now closed.

As far as work goes my last radio/antenna tower install was in Burbank for two months back in July-Sept. That's where I discovered the recipe of this thread for smoked brisket. I made a few changes to the recipe since I use a pellet smoker and not the wood kind. In August my Rescue Climber Certification expired and I decided not to re-certify. I just felt I could not safely rescue a disabled 250 lb person, suspended 100 feet off the ground hanging in his climbing harness with a rescue sling while grappling down the outside of the 100' antenna tower. I just did not want to put a fellow climber in harms way due to my declining strength and agility. I'm sure I can still do it but at 70 it's time to look for another profession or job. I have been offered an engineering position with the company designing and project managing these projects but it's full-time employment working 120 miles from my house. I'm negotiating a part-time position working on 1 or 2 projects at a time with a couple of days working at home. But that option does not look promising. We'll see what next year brings. After working for over 50 years it's just hard to turn the motor off. I really loved the part time position traveling throughout the western states and Hawaii, a lot of great golf courses and fishing spots, but all good things eventually come to an end. Let the kids have their day in the sun instead.

After Burbank my wife (just retired) and I went on a month long road trip with my 2002 SC430 convertible visiting all the towns along the coasts of TX, LA and AL. It went over 200,000 miles during the road trip. While in AL visited cousins and continued my golfing trek playing the Robert Trent Jones Trail courses in Birmingham, Auburn and Mobile.

Next week the family and I are going back to Hilo for a long Thanksgiving vacation instead of work this time.

Other than ocean fishing and golfing a couple of times a week my life is pretty boring. Looking forward to visiting BOLA again this coming May and perhaps running my boat down to Ensenada and staying at a marina while fishing its outside waters for bottomfish. CA rockfishing is closed Jan-Feb.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2016 at 05:16 PM

Yeah, that you were still up in the "air" .... was something to me

That is definitely something for a younger man .... very difficult at any age ... and strength and agility is really important :):)

Ya might want to try that "sauce" out for paint remover or take it over to a plating shop, they might find a use for it :biggrin::biggrin:

Have a good one on the "Big Island" ...
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-7-2016 at 07:37 AM

I hesitate to say this, but I don't find much about this recipe or plating to be attractive...The preparation prior to smoking is pretty much a lazy mans commercial approach. The finished product shows very little smoke ring and appears to be pretty dry. Soaking a really good? brisket in gravy and serving it should be punishable by slow death. Freezing single slices only adds to the drying out process. White bread? Your choice I guess, why do you need bread at all? No apology..If you like it, fine...

Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2016 at 09:45 AM

Chuckie thanks for your critique of this brisket recipe. You are correct in many of your comments.

Lack of a smoke ring: This pellet smoker even after 16 hours of smoking offers little in the way of smoke as compared to other wood or charcoal smokers I've used in the past. None can compare to the professional smokers from a BBQ joint. This recipe is for the local joe at home and not for a professional BBQer to try. I look at it as more as an outdoor "convection oven" that heats with wood pellets. I do not know if other pellet smokers are like this but mine is.

The Weber Smokey Mountain WSM grill above is what I used before I purchased this one. It got that infused smoke ring that this smoker does not. You had to be careful not to add too much wood or your meat would taste too woody. However, the WSM can only smoke one brisket at a time where this one can do 2 briskets along with 2 pork butts or 3 racks of ribs as well as prime ribs, chicken, whole turkeys, meat loafs and steaks at temps from 190-450 degrees with just a temp setting on the controller.

On my last brisket before this one, I placed smoldering wood chunks in a pan inside the smoker to give it more of a smoke flavor and thus said ring as well as a pan of water. This time I just kept it simple only opening the lid twice during the 16 hour smoking process. I cook for parties of 50 or more often so ease and grill space is important to me. Not only am I smoking the meats but preparing the fish I catch, salads and other side dishes at the same time. It's also a great large warming oven after things are cooked.

Every time I smoke I do things a little differently, i.e. inject, not to inject, different rubs, dry or wet aging, phosphates or not, smoking temps, meat temps, fat side up or down, with or without fat, etc.. always looking for the tastiest meat method. This is just how I prepared it this time looking to ease of preparation and how it compared to other ways I did it in the past. I'm sure I'll do it another way when I smoke my next brisket, my favorite cut of meat.

Unless you inject the brisket very little flavor is imparted deep into the brisket especially a 21 pounder so that's why I dipped the brisket slices in the salty and smokey beef stock drippings before freezing. The 1/2-3/4" slices are stacked 2 to 3 high inside the vacuum sealed bags. The pics did not capture that. Even after 8 months stored this way the brisket came out moist and tender.

You must have missed my point of this recipe in that I'm not trying to replicate a perfect Texas BBQ brisket recipe but a low cost brisket recipe that can be cooked simply in an oven and whose leftovers can be prepared into many other dishes afterwards for months into the future, i.e. hot roast beef sandwiches, burnt ends, chili con carne and many others. Whether its a brisket, pork butt, ribs, lamb or poultry, I cook in large qualities to repurpose later into other delicious meals for family and friends. My presentation of the above partial dishes was just for me to try out a couple of ways to sample the brisket's flavor and texture straight after it's cooking process not how I would present it at a party with complementing side dishes.

Seeing that you come from KN, a reknown state for BBQ, I can understand that this is not your cup of tee as a BBQ dish but to the 50+ seniors I cook for at an Ole Fogy Home for free they are quite pleased with this recipe and others I bring to them from my heart two or 3 times a year.

Again thanks for your comments. Critiquing ones recipes is how one improves upon them for their guests. If you came to my house for dinner I'd definitely use the WSM!

........................................................................Brisket Chicharones with My Garden's Herbs.....................................................

[Edited on 11-7-2016 by Lobsterman]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2016 at 11:41 AM

I used to do 30-40 briskets a year, and there is no "best" way, just different. I seldom did them the same way, but just followed a similar pattern....Good rubs, wet smoke,about a 12 hour cycle and finished em in foil. Never used a pellet smoker for the reasons you pointed out. Ihad several smokers either homemade or modified by me. I usually made about 3 different sauces, mild, hot and heroic....Always fun to do...did NINE in one day once..lotta work...I enjoy your writings...stay well Thanks

[Edited on 11-7-2016 by chuckie]

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2016 at 12:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  
Thanks much ... always a good topic ... BBQ ... plus pic's

You're one cooking fool .. :):)

gave me an appetite ... for sure

Oh, ME TOO! Great photos !!! Yummy...

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2016 at 03:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
I used to do 30-40 briskets a year, and there is no "best" way, just different. I seldom did them the same way, but just followed a similar pattern....Good rubs, wet smoke,about a 12 hour cycle and finished em in foil. Never used a pellet smoker for the reasons you pointed out. Ihad several smokers either homemade or modified by me. I usually made about 3 different sauces, mild, hot and heroic....Always fun to do...did NINE in one day once..lotta work...I enjoy your writings...stay well Thanks

[Edited on 11-7-2016 by chuckie]

Chuckie,

In my quest of BBQ knowledge from an expert I wonder if you could impart a few of specifics of your experience in smoking a brisket before it is lost in time.

1. What kind of smoker do you have?

2. What temperature do you smoke at?

3. Fat side up or down?

4. Do you inject?

5. Do you baste the brisket while it's smoking? How often?

6. What internal temperature do you smoke to?

7. What internal temperature or time do you wrap the brisket?

8. Left handed brisket or does it matter?

9. What part of the brisket do you make burnt ends with?

10. Do you separate the point from the flat before carving?

11. What size briskets in lbs do you prefer?

12. What brisket certification do you prefer, select, choice or prime?

Thanks for your replies.
Dennis
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2016 at 03:56 PM

WOW! I am gonna write down the answers so I don't get lost in answering...so bear with me...may take a while...and some of the questions I dont have answers to...seat of the pants stuff

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2016 at 08:52 PM

One thing that some take rather seriously ... BBQ

I just eat it ... When I can, even with Benzo[a]pyrene and all :):)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzo(a)pyrene#Carcinogenicity

Our neighors used to hate us when growing up .. The old man used to smoke everything he/we "caught" ... even canned it too ... was one of our chores, keeping the coals going ... "mill" scraps from cabinet shops, hard woods

Was eating smoked Albacore 10 years after he passed :):) Salmon was a fav ...

[Edited on 11-8-2016 by wessongroup]
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11-7-2016 at 09:17 PM

We had a wood-fired pizza oven at our old house in Fort Worth--after we had a pizza party with friends, and if I was still sober enough, I would put a brisket in a baking pan covered with foil and put it in the oven--then close the door and chimney to retain smoke and heat from the pecan wood/oven....go to sleep and it would perfectly cook the brisket all night long, ready in the morning. Not a true smoked brisket by a longshot but still really tasty. For smoke cooking I've been leaning towards smoked pork shoulder...done right that rind is a beauty to behold.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2016 at 08:25 AM

CRAPOLA!!!! I had this all done except the last few sentences on serving and the whole thing went away.....DANG!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-8-2016 at 09:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
CRAPOLA!!!! I had this all done except the last few sentences on serving and the whole thing went away.....DANG!

Don't you hate it when the virtual dog eats your digital homework?

It's happened to me too, As slow as I process words, it is always painful for me!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-8-2016 at 09:50 AM

I printed out the whole thread, Dennis.
Thanks for the flavorful recipe!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2016 at 11:35 AM

Looks spectacular! Gotta believe it tastes the same way.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 11-8-2016 at 02:09 PM

That meat looks good until you break out the white bread.

Here is a great article about the rise and fall of processed white bread.

The rise and fall of white bread

We learned to hate the processed loaves not just because of health -- but because of class, status and race

http://www.salon.com/2012/03/03/the_rise_and_fall_of_white_b...

Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2016 at 02:31 PM

Viva pan blanco with brisket, yes I grew up in Texas. Also white bread weenie wrap! Come on! it's fatty brisket for jimmies sake!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-8-2016 at 03:07 PM

The evolution of white bread under the Bimbo label has resulted in a product with a half life, rather than an expiration date!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-8-2016 at 04:43 PM

Lobersterman, Thank you! because of this thread I picked up 6 tri tips and smoked them today. With the turky later this month Ill be set for lunch meat. It helped they were on sale.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.