BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Why does David K bug you so much?
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2005 at 11:52 AM
Perkins

Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2005 at 12:05 PM

Ditto what Zac and AA said. David's OK as long as you don't use the P-word. But he and I both respect a person's right to express a point of view. Even if it's wrong (heh). By the way David, you still haven't identified the L.A. freeway that is wide open between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-7-2005 at 12:24 PM

What is the P word? Politics??

I never said 'wide-open'... I suggest going around that mess and use I-15 to Escondido and on to Mexico.

IF you can time it to be in the L.A. Basin, the best time is 10am-2pm compared with 6-10 am or 2-7pm, right? Even better would be to go through in the middle of the night!

Now, this is from my experiences traveling a lot on business about 7 years ago.

I guess you are saying it is gridlocked all day now?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2005 at 12:40 PM

Morphing back to David K, I first heard of him on another board where a really nasty series of posts criticized him for no particular reason, and even had his happy little sun Xed out as their avatars--my first and last visit to that particular source of Baja bilge. Since signing on as a Nomad I've found his posts informative and helpful, and when one of mine located the Baja Sur prison in the wrong place he sent me a tactfully worded U2U. To me he's a Mr. Nice Guy.

Although my personal view of the Lost Baja Mission is that Santa Claus sometimes stops off there to chat with the Tooth Fairy and Tinkerbell, I think we oughtta let DK and other believers continue their searches without raining disbelief on them. I can't think of a better excuse for exploring the backlands of Baja [so you might consider lightening up a bit, Acadanarchist].

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 2-7-2005 at 01:03 PM

Bajalera,
You are breaking my heart with your scurrilous posts about the existence of Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and Tinker Bell. I?m 74 now, too old for Xmas presents, have no teeth left to put under the pillow, and have an unrequited love for Tinker Bell. So you can understand how upset it makes me when reading anything that tends to undermine my deep conviction that these icons of my youth are real. Have you no sensitivity to those of us who are Chronologically Challenged and trying to hold on to their dreams?

P.S. I forgot to mention that I?m far better looking than David:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2005 at 01:23 PM

Thanks Lera,
Robert (AA) is very sensitive about the term 'Lost Mission'. To him it automatically means a place where treasure is mythically hidden and has meant the destruction of many mission walls by treasure hunters.

In fact, the damage has been done to found missions, as the lost ones are still lost (or never existed)...

'Lost Missions' to me is just a fun term for exploring the backcountry, looking for some evidence of old construction. I do not believe there is any gold, pearls, or jewels hidden in some secret place. The missionairies were quite poor and spent all their time trying to produce enough food for themselves and their Indian slaves/subjects.

The four 'Lost Missions' mentioned (Santa Isabel, Santa Maria Magdalena, San Juan Bautista in the Santa Clara mountains, and Dolores del Norte) are described on the 1757 Jesuit map (Santa Isabel is shown as a water hole, the other three as missions started).

AA has done research after we debated Dolores del Norte, and discovered it did exist, but only on paper... the name eventually was changed to Santa Gertrudis. Even INAH has it wrong and calls the visita of San Pablo 'Dolores del Norte'... as it is an impressive adobe looking very much like Mision Santa Maria.
The villagers at San Francisco de la Sierra told Choral Pepper in 1964 that the old walls up there were 'Dolores'... who knows, maybe an early site for the mission?

The site I am looking for was discovered in Feb. 1966 by the Gardner expedition going south of L.A. Bay to El Barril. This is in the area where the 1757 map places a mission started called Santa Maria Magdalena... Obviously, it wasn't completed... perhaps the spring dried, perhaps the Jesuit council decided to develope San Borja instead... perhaps it was a mission visita for Santa Gertrudis (which was called Dolores del Norte on that map).

Whatever it was, it is out there in the desert hills south of L.A. Bay... and I would like to photograph it and compare it to the '66 photos... To me it is my Lost Mission quest, or my mission to find a lost site! Choral Pepper believed it was these old stories that inspires us to explore the desert and to preserve it for the future explorers because it has value as a place with lost treasure, not as a wasteland...

See http://vivabaja.com/1757/

Here is Bruce Barron at the wall discovered in 1966...

[Edited on 9-22-2006 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 2-7-2005 at 01:42 PM

That would be a fun trip to explore for that lost mission DK.

You do great work here on Nomads DK, and David is a nice guy! I met him and BajaLou(another great guy!) in Parral Canyon last year after hiking into the San Pedro Martir Mission site with Jack Swords. David was the one who invited me to go on the trip to the mission--a generous gesture for someone he hardly knew....always be grateful for that one DK! Keep up the good work!
Ask me for anything except info on the Sisters:lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2005 at 01:56 PM

Yes, and here's Mexitron (second from right) with his amigos the day we met at Parral...

Another thing I have done for some here on Nomad is create a web page to show their photos to the world...
Here is Mexirton's web page!: http://vivabaja.com/mexitron

Yah, I am a bad SOB all right!:?::lol:

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2005 at 02:08 PM

Thanks, DK, for all that info. I have a lot more faith in the printed word than in the history provided by local people, most of whom are descendants of relatively recent [ethnographically, that is] migrants from the mainland.

Although even official Mexican publications in Spanish can sometimes have bloopers. One of my books--the result of an INAH investigation of existing BC missions--has detailed site plans and descriptions and all that, but also says Sir Francis Drake sailed up the Gulf of California and explored the area around Mexicali.

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2005 at 03:45 PM

Yep, David, the P-word is politics. As for the L.A. freeways, in my view, the traffic is much worse than it was 7 years ago. The only bright side is that a number of the freeways now have carpool lanes.
synch
Nomad

Mood: wandering...

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 09:33 AM

Why would you originate a Post such as this...
talk about a negative aspect...
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by synch
Why would you originate a Post such as this...
talk about a negative aspect...

In the end, it didn't really matter. I think Sculpin and I were the only ones who actually addressed the orginal question.

And even those posts became positive in a circumspect way.

I suspect this post might have gone very differently over on Baja.net? :biggrin:

Time to put this one to bed.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 11:31 PM

Dear Synch and Hook,

I started this post when I read yet another post that repsponded in a sarcastic and dismissive manner to David K's contributions.

In my several years of reading what he has posted on the Amigo and this board, his contributions have been uniformly informational, courteous and civil and welcoming to posters interested in Baja, regardless of their newbie status and (to the seasoned vetarans) dumb questions.

Don't diss the ones who are just joining. They might become the best defenders of the Baja that you love so much.

To all of the grinchers out there that want to protect their secret places and experiences - Get Over Yourselves!

You are railing against the tide of change that is flowing through the peninsula from both ends.

Share your knowledge with the right people and put energy and enthusiasm into working here in a positive way to help to preserve your Baja.

Err, cough; sorry, must step off my soap box now. :rolleyes:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
In my several years of reading what he has posted on the Amigo and this board,

You have been lurking for a VERY long time.:lol:

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 2-10-2005 at 12:07 AM

Well Dave,

IMH0,
better a lurker than a shirker :O

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Cyndarouh
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2005 at 08:11 AM

I think David K. Is great! I have met him and he is a really nice guy, always offering info and helping us all to have better and more informed tirps in Baja. Thank You David K. Keep up the wonderful Post..
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 2-10-2005 at 08:21 AM

David K is a great guy. I got to meet him and Jeans in eliascalles. Never understood why some folks bash him but the post up thread about alpha male exhibitionism sounds about right.

Dave I hope we run into each other again soon. You ever need to stay at my place just let me know.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2005 at 08:25 AM

Thank you again...

I think the silent masses get the point that I am a good guy and not the lying, stealing bum that people have posted about me mostly on another Baja message board (that even created a topic thread to trash my name).

In the end, the truth wins...

Now, some more truth: I am not the only one who does nice things here... MOST of your fellow Baja Nomads & Amigos are just as nice or more so! I think Baja brings out the best in (most) people who discover its magic.

I have met the nicest people (Mexican, American, British & Canadian) through this Internet connection... I am very lucky for this, and spending pleasurable time sharing Baja stories and info. is well worth the effort for such a great reward... your friendship!

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 2-10-2005 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan

To all of the grinchers out there that want to protect their secret places and experiences - Get Over Yourselves

Well said Gyspy Jan!
(Now just don't tell anybody about the Seven Sisters. :lol:)
And David, keep up the good work!

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2005 at 10:18 AM

1. Posts far too much, often useless, dry information.

2. attempts to be an authority on baja arguing with those who don't agree with him.

3. His self promotions. Endless routing users to his own website.

4. Often injects political views into baja topics in an offensive manner causing the entire thread to go into a tailspin (not the only one to do this).
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.