Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Francisquito area exploration
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2016 at 12:32 PM
San Francisquito area exploration

Haven't been to SF in several years. We'll be coming up from Mulege and would like to see a few things in the area up there. Considering camping a few nights. So far the itinerary is Mulege -> Guerrero Negro -> San Francisquito -> Bahia de los Angeles -> GN -> Mulege. I've been reading some of David K's reports, so I'm intriqued. If we could stay at SF in palapas, we might be able to cut down on the camping gear??

Any suggestions as to roads to take/avoid, sights to see, provisions... all is welcomed. Might even take kayaks (dunno).

Thanks!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-13-2016 at 01:51 PM

Why go through Guerrero Negro? The shortest, graded road is about 7 miles northbound from Vizcaino. Take signed road right to Guillermo Prieto (a left turn just south of that ghost town and goat ranch may have a Mision Santa Gertrudis sign). Just north of the state border is a crossroad: left to El Arco, right to the mission, and straight through to San Francisquito. Piece of cake!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

C205Driver
Nomad

Mood: Life is Good

[*] posted on 11-13-2016 at 06:32 PM

. . .Wish we were going!!!! Love PSFO. . .Juan, Mingo, Rosa!!!!
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2016 at 06:52 AM

as david said..... unless you need to see something in GN, take the road he suggested. At San Fran the resort (long beach, palapas, some food, no hot water 20 per person, amazing view)

OR

Betos place, on water 1 mile north (block building with cots, hot water, no food but you can eat over at the "resort" 40 bucs for the "cabin"
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2016 at 09:00 AM

San Francisquito is not like it use to be. Rain and wind have taken out much of it. Some repairs made but whether they rebuild back to original is doubtful since they don't get the number of visitors they use too. But who knows things can change. If you go there give us a report.

[Edited on 11-14-2016 by TMW]
Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2016 at 11:00 AM

I have always loved that place for it's tranquility and beauty. First visited by boat in about 1961 before any structures were there, then 5 years later stayed at the hotel for a few days. Very basic but good food and I felt like it was a very special place. In the '70's started flying in it was even better. It produced good memories for many, I hope it comes back.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2016 at 11:42 AM

I would recommend taking your kayaks. A couple of miles north of the resort is the bay of San Francisquito, Calle San Francisquito. It's a large body of water with a small inner bay and a larger outer bay. You can spend days paddling the shoreline and never go over the same ground. It's very protected in there. When the afternoon winds blow in the channel it's like a lake inside. Say hi to Beto for me.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2016 at 12:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
I would recommend taking your kayaks. A couple of miles north of the resort is the bay of San Francisquito, Calle San Francisquito. It's a large body of water with a small inner bay and a larger outer bay. You can spend days paddling the shoreline and never go over the same ground. It's very protected in there. When the afternoon winds blow in the channel it's like a lake inside. Say hi to Beto for me.

Even better to bring an inflatable Zodiac.
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2016 at 03:57 PM

On the way back from Bahia de los Angeles, if we were to go to San Borja, would anyone recommend the road west through San Ignacito to reach Hwy 1?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2016 at 07:10 PM

Actually the road to Nuevo Rosarito by way of San Ignacito is better than the road from the LA Bay Hwy the last time I drove it. NORRA races the cars/trucks on it in April. I think David K was on it recently.
C205Driver
Nomad

Mood: Life is Good

[*] posted on 11-14-2016 at 09:00 PM

. . .I have stayed there probably 18 times ( 3 nites to a week ). . . You are NOT going to a resort, but rather a very magical place. . .IF you have hot water for a shower you will be fortunate ( I take a solar shower there in case water heater is inop ). . .Only been there May, June & Octobers & weather is USUALLY but not always good then ( Have had a Chubasco come thru & fog roll in in takeoff ). . .Winter might get cold & windy. . . You can order French food, Chinese food whatever you want, but, be prepared for what is available! ( Eggs, Fresh!!! fish, rice, beans, chicken?, beef???, but usually you will get a REAL Mexican meal of some kind! ) If the GenSet is operating you will have cold beer & drinks available. . . Watch the turtles lay eggs ( The stretch of beach there is a show stopper!!!!!!!!! ). . Or maybe a stray cow break the water main at 2AM to get fresh water. . .Shooting stars ( Good reason to sleep outside!!! ) Like fishing or hiking? Listen to the coyotes at night too. . . Wishing we were there now. . . By the way last time we drove there with a trailer it took 7 hours from pavement to PSFO & ran into Mingo while watering the shrubs & we had a good cold one on the "road" in. . .I really hope you are able to find the magic in PSFO. . . Very unique place but NOT for everyone. . .
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2016 at 11:07 PM

If you decide to go visit the Mission of San Borja I would suggest you enjoy the waters of the spring nearby. They've built a pool to collect the water and it's possible to bathe there when the heat becomes too great. The water was remarkably clear when I came by:

IMG_1280_3.jpg - 173kB
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-14-2016 at 11:11 PM

I have spent many a night camping at PSFO over many years, in the campground there right by the restaurant---------always a treat--------one of the most charming beaches and locations in all of Baja CA, IMO.

[Edited on 11-15-2016 by Barry A.]
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 11-15-2016 at 07:16 AM

One of my favorite places on earth. 75 fly-in trips in the 70s and 80s, 4 drive-in trips in this millennium.

[Edited on 11-15-2016 by Ken Bondy]

carpe diem!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2016 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Actually the road to Nuevo Rosarito by way of San Ignacito is better than the road from the LA Bay Hwy the last time I drove it. NORRA races the cars/trucks on it in April. I think David K was on it recently.

Last September we went in and out of San Borja from the L.A. Bay highway, north road, it was very good driving. The west road from Rosarito was not as good, but that was in 2009.

Edit: Not sure how San Borja got into this thread, as it is Santa Gertrudis mission they will be just 11 miles west of taking the road from Vizcaino to San Francisquito via Guillermo Prieto.

[Edited on 11-15-2016 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2016 at 11:42 AM

Well, we plan to go up to Bahia de los Angeles from SFO and probably come back on the highway. BUT, we'd rather off road it a bit, so why not take in some sights. That's why I'm looking at San Borja and Pinturas Repuestos at Montevideo (Montevido on the Baja Almanac) and anything else that's worth the distraction.
I've been up to PFSO once before. We took the turnoff to head to El Arco and fumbled our way there. Thanks to David K, I now see how to get to Hwy 18 via Miraflores (and how to reach Santa Gertrudis).
Still working on the plan, so all info is good.
Thanks!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2016 at 11:56 AM

Great, we went to San Borja and Montevideo last September on the Baja Extreme tour... plenty of photos and details in the trip report.

hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2016 at 06:32 PM

Here's my report from an April 2016 trip at the "resort" (not Beto's) Farthest south bathroom was functional , 2 (two) cabanas were rentable and theres a couple of decent guys there taking care of the place best they can. I collected wayward palm fronds and rebuilt one of the palapas thus getting good shade. I think the cabanas are $20 a day.
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2016 at 07:31 PM

Would anyone give time estimates for Hwy 1 to SFO and SFO to Bahia de los Angeles?
Cheers!
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2016 at 12:57 PM

Mex 1 to B of LA is an hour (avg 40 to 50 mph)
My last BoLA to SFO: 4 hours to do the 90+ mi with fair to good road conditions. Best time in ever for me was right after the grader @ 3 hrs. Worst time: 8 hours to San Rafael fish camp with washouts about every mile at the alluvial plane before the halfway mark south of the Las Animas turnoff. The road dissapeared and we never made it to SFO. It can be done with a 2wd with decent clearance.
bikes and buggy's: 2 1/2 hrs
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.