Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: baja divide bicycle route
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 11-25-2016 at 07:45 PM
baja divide bicycle route

https://bajadivide.com/
Some clever cyclists came up with a dirt road bicycle route. The girl, who helped map the route, won a race across the Usa, from Astoria Oregon too Yorktown Virgina. Yes she beat the men, even the ones from Europe. She averaged 235 miles per day.

What about the rest of the slow out of shape bike pedalers like me, using their route for a guide line while they pedal down the Baja?
https://bajadivide.com/mapping/
How can we get the nomads to put put a few extra 5 liter water bottles in their cars and trucks, as they drive near this route? They said the level of interest in the baja divide bike route is overwelming. I would bet that most of the cyclists do not realize how difficult the route is. Be an angel and give water to a passing cyclist. Many a cyclist could tell a bored nomad an intersting story.

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2016 at 09:43 PM

A very big undertaking to say the least. It would be nice if they provided a GPS file to convert to GE or a Google Earth file. From what I see everything is tied to an interactive Memory map. I would like to plot the course on GE and either print out the sections or store them on my Laptop for use if I'm down for it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-25-2016 at 10:07 PM

Baja divide is a nice route. But it's a bit more interesting if you straighten some of the zig zags and go straight thru several of the mountain areas such as SPM, SSF and south of SI.

Re re-supply, the website gives the newbie a pretty good run down of distances between stores, and where to deviate from track to find store for resupply.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 11-26-2016 at 05:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
A very big undertaking to say the least. It would be nice if they provided a GPS file to convert to GE or a Google Earth file. From what I see everything is tied to an interactive Memory map. I would like to plot the course on GE and either print out the sections or store them on my Laptop for use if I'm down for it.

Hey Tom , I don't remember how I did it but I got it on Ge. Not sure but I might of used gps visualizer website.
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 11-26-2016 at 06:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

They have gps files, free to down load, They made mention of some adjustments being made.

What do you guys think of the section heading into El Arco? I am guessing, that is the longest stretch without water?
Anyone been on the section north of La Paz? I wanted to try that road for a long time, but never made it. Maybe I should find Punta Concepcion on the map.

I am more likely to use alternet routes than most of the other cyclists. Because I like to visit cave paintings and other old things. Did David K post the gps locations of all those old missions somewhere. The couple of times I rode my bicycle to a BCS mission, were a challange to say the least.

[Edited on 11-27-2016 by joerover]

the fat lady is breeding
which means
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2016 at 08:09 AM

I've clicked on everything I see on their site and I get a lot of stuff but I don't see a GPS file to download. I get an interactive Memory Map, I get way points and descriptions of the route with mileages. If someone can show me a GPS file I would appreciate it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-27-2016 at 08:28 AM

"Mapping" Link below takes you to map page. From there it Directs you to get files from google drive.
Easy peasy!

Quote: Originally posted by joerover  
https://bajadivide.com/
Some clever cyclists came up with a dirt road bicycle route. The girl, who helped map the route, won a race across the Usa, from Astoria Oregon too Yorktown Virgina. Yes she beat the men, even the ones from Europe. She averaged 235 miles per day.

What about the rest of the slow out of shape bike pedalers like me, using their route for a guide line while they pedal down the Baja?
https://bajadivide.com/mapping/
How can we get the nomads to put put a few extra 5 liter water bottles in their cars and trucks, as they drive near this route? They said the level of interest in the baja divide bike route is overwelming. I would bet that most of the cyclists do not realize how difficult the route is. Be an angel and give water to a passing cyclist. Many a cyclist could tell a bored nomad an intersting story.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 11-28-2016 at 08:27 PM

Did anyone notice some places of interest along the bike route? Such as archaeological sites. Places of interest that should seen.

the fat lady is breeding
which means
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-28-2016 at 09:26 PM

There crazy zig zag route is taking them all over the peninsula. It would be impossible to not be near many great sites... Baja has so many, afterall!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 11-29-2016 at 06:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
There crazy zig zag route is taking them all over the peninsula. It would be impossible to not be near many great sites... Baja has so many, afterall!

Most of the missions are on my National Geographic map. What about archaeological sites, is there a map or book , a good resource for that? I have not been in BCS for 5 years. I chanced upon undocumented sites a few times. A thousand year old fire pit. cave shelters. People lived there long ago.

the fat lady is breeding
which means
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 01:15 AM

times are changing. Younger people are posting bicycle routes on the web, no more guess work for me.

I mailed my bike case to a nomad. Guess what. It was waiting for in in La Paz about 3 kilometers from the airport, (thanks), (thanks very much).

People continue to ask if I have enough water, and fill one of my 40 ounce bottles if I needed some.

A couple of quad rideing nomads stopped at the bottom of the above hill. I know they were nomads from way back, because they complained about bicycles blocking traffic on Mx1, Then they gave me a bag of cookies.
(Of the 500? miles I rode, perhaps 30 were on MX1.)

y asi, mas dias de color

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNCNWCSCr54

[Edited on 2-9-2017 by joerover]

[Edited on 12-2-2017 by BajaNomad]

the fat lady is breeding
which means
fixtrauma
Nomad

Mood: Monomaniac

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 01:46 AM
Bike case

Sorry we missed you today to deliver your case in person. We took friends to the airport today in San Jose del Cabo. I was hoping to hear a few stories of your ride. I will watch for some on the site. We were glad to bring the case to La Paz for you.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 07:17 AM

Joe,
That is quite an feat! You have accomplished a great thing, done a great baja adventure, more than most nomads ever will, you should be promoted to "most exalted uber special" nomad status!

Looking forward to your trip report!
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 01:53 PM

The PCT is an old Indian trail, trade route. Brought back to life over the last 70 years, by gringos that like to walk a lot. A few remnants can be found in Baja. It is maintained by volunteers and the through hiking permit is free.

"Has there ever been a discussion by any entity for the same to be replicated through Baja?"
Yes, all talk no action.

" most exalted uber special" nomad status!"
No. Other people rode much further than I did. I rode Baja sur, and a little of Baja norte. "most exalted uber special" nomad status!" Perhaps the cartographers of the baja divide bike route could be awarded a fancy sombrero or elevated too "most exalted uber special" nomad status! It is good that the scouts posted a route that does not require me to push up the side of a mountain for hours on end. As I have done so many times before.

" posted on 2-9-2017 at 00:46
Bike case
Sorry we missed you today"

I picked it up on 2-5-2017 around 8 am.
Thanks for your help
Yes
thanks very much!

the fat lady is breeding
which means
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 02:01 PM
Bandidos on the Baja Divide

****ing bandidos

cut and paste from the baja divide web page

Keith
JANUARY 17, 2017 AT 7:08 PM
Hey folks! My buddy and I started the Baja Divide recently and unfortunately we got robbed at gunpoint right outside of Tecate at the marked possible campsite in Canon Manteca. Our unfriendly assailant was on a bike as well and we believe that we just had some bad luck and happened to pass this ******* right before we descended the canyon. He then passed us again at full speed going towards the canyon and we think he laid in wait for us to pass him and for us to be in the canyon away from other people. He waited until nightfall to rob us, and was wearing a hoodie, mask and baseball cap, so we have no idea what he looked like other than that he was young male and skinny, riding an older mountain bike. The fact that he was on a bicycle leads us to believe that he lives in the area. To avoid the same experience, we reccomend the following:

1) Dont arrive to Canon Manteca around nightfall.
2) Dont camp in plain view of the road.
3) Beware of any cyclists that pass you twice.
4) Consider camping further down the route from Canon Manteca.
5) Have good travelers insurance!!!

Bottom line: We ran into some bad luck but still have our bikes, almost all our gear and our lives (also he didnt steal our beer, so that was a big plus).

We plan on continuing our trip although we will be exploring an alternate, less remote route as we now lack GPS capabilities. Everyone in Baja has been super friendly and we arent gonna let some lone ranger piece-of-**** ruin our trip. In fact, I think a cold Tecate and some tacos are calling my name right now! Happy biking people!

gypsybytrade
JANUARY 24, 2017 AT 5:07 PM
Keith,

It concerns me to hear this. Most of us that have spent time on route can attest to the fact that Baja feels very safe. I appreciate that you have extended your trust in the people of Mexico even after this experience, even though you were only a day or two across the border.

Considering that this seems premeditated, someone in Tecate has taken notice to the pattern of riders through town and into the backcountry. I surely hope this never happens again, but to avoid risk, I think the best solution is for riders to leave Tecate during the morning and continue down the route before camping in the backcountry, farther away from town. I personally do not mind camping in sight of the road and I enjoy meeting passing locals, but as a general precaution camping just out of sight makes sense, at least enough so that a passing car in the night does not take notice.

It is my understanding that the police in Baja are strongly invested in protecting the tourism industry so if you have not reported the incident already, I would recommend that you do so. I have a contact at the Bureau of Tourism who is very supportive of the route project, I will reach out to him to notify local authorities of this incident. If you have not reported the incident, perhaps you can confer with Salvador at FASS Bike to make a report locally, and the document can be forwarded to Tecate.

I dont intend to change the route at the moment. This is the best routes out of Tecate on dirt, and even if we redirected riders we could not ensure that something similar cannot happen along another route. However, if anyone else reports suspicious activity near Tecate, I will be forced to make changes to the routing in this region, which would necessarily require more paved riding.

You can contact me with any questions or concerns at bajadivide@gmail.com.

Nicholas

[Edited on 2-9-2017 by joerover]

the fat lady is breeding
which means
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 02:18 PM

Bummer about the robbery near tecate. That area has some sketchy characters. I would not recommend remote camping near the border and border towns.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 06:53 PM

This winter I met a bunch of bikers in the Bay on each trip doing this route. All young. It seems to be super popular. Looks like fun but I like my bikes with a motor attached!
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2017 at 03:02 PM

Muleg to Punta Concepcion may require some additional assistance!

HA! funny
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 2-17-2017 at 09:45 PM

Muleg� to Punta Concepcion may require some additional assistance!

Maybe the girl that maped the baja divide bike route finds it easy to get a boat ride froma fisherman.

Wish I could remember which setting I used, cameras have so many buttons these days.

the fat lady is breeding
which means
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 04:27 PM
move over and let her go by

Watch out, The fastest girl on a two wheels is setting the fastest know time of the baja divide bike route.
http://trackleaders.com/bajadivide17
https://bajadivide.com/2017/03/02/lael-wilcox-departs-tecate...

She started 34 hours ago in Tecate and is past Rancho Coyote comming up on Vicente Guerrero. They guess 10 or 12 days, Looks more like 9 at this pace.

not always easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KewfYKJy8YU

[Edited on 3-3-2017 by joerover]

[Edited on 4-2-2017 by joerover]

the fat lady is breeding
which means
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.