Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: baja divide bicycle route
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by joerover  
Watch out, The fastest girl on a two wheels is setting the fastest know time of the baja divide bike route.
http://trackleaders.com/bajadivide17
https://bajadivide.com/2017/03/02/lael-wilcox-departs-tecate...

She started 34 fours ago in Tecate and is past Rancho Coyote comming up on Vicente Guerrero. They guess 10 or 12 days, Looks more like 9 at this pace.

9 days, impressive.
Those 29 wheels look really big relative to her, in the picture, she must be sort of short and riding a smallish frame. Seems to me that 29 wheels on a small/short frame doesn't make sense.
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 05:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

9 days, impressive.
Those 29 wheels look really big relative to her, in the picture, she must be sort of short and riding a smallish frame. Seems to me that 29 wheels on a small/short frame doesn't make sense.

29 inch wheels are faster for cross country riding. They make small and some companys make xs frames with 29 inch wheels. The bigger wheels go over the bumps with less effort. The 27.5 x 3 inch wide tires float better in the sand, but weigh more and the extra weight slows you down. I am going to guess the girl (Lael Wilcox,) is 5 feet 7 inches, most likely rides a medium. If she is on a small, it is to save weight. Some racers ride a smaller bike for more speed. A shorter wheel base is faster also. I want as big a frame as I can handle for comfort. The longer wheel base is also safer.

I had to buy a 26 inch wheeled bike. My 29er is collecting dust for now. The guy on the 27.5 x 3 cut the side wall on his tire. He patched it up the best he could. He could not buy a new tire between Ensenada and La Paz. I cut my side wall on my 26er. My Orange seal tubeless sealant fixed the leak. I can buy a new tire in most any town or even from a rancho.

Pushing bikes up hill, I slowley passed the guy on the 27.5 x 3. He passsed me as I struggled through some sand. I passed him pushing up the next hill. He passed me coasting down a long hill, I had to hit the brakes in some rough stuff. I had 26 x 2.4

[Edited on 3-4-2017 by joerover]

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 06:04 PM

I have pedaled from Ensenada to Uruapan to Ojos Negros to Tecate. The fastest was 3 days. I have spent 10 days in them hills more than just a couple of times.

She did it 1

on the other hand,

I have storys to tell of mountain lions, vaqueros, wild pigs, bandidos con placas, even a blizard in parque 1857.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmSH9vwZyb4

the fat lady is breeding
which means
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 06:42 PM

Joe, for what it is worth, I encountered four seperat groups of riders between San Javier and B.O.L.A. between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I asked all of them if they needed any water, fresh fruit, anything else? While they all appreciated the offer, only two groups took me up on it, and took a refreshment break!

There was one solo rider south of B.O.L.A. that seemed annoyed and did not even stop. I think he was trying to catch up to the other riders that were about 20 miles ahead of him!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 08:58 AM

There is a video interview of her on the Facebook page for San Quintin al Dia.

Watch out, The fastest girl on a two wheels is setting the fastest know time of the baja divide bike route.
http://trackleaders.com/bajadivide17
https://bajadivide.com/2017/03/02/lael-wilcox-departs-tecate...

She started 34 fours ago in Tecate and is past Rancho Coyote comming up on Vicente Guerrero. They guess 10 or 12 days, Looks more like 9 at this pace.

9 days, impressive.
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 04:39 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XGX98OW4Rc
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

I asked all of them if they needed any water, fresh fruit, anything else? While they all appreciated the offer, only two groups took me up on it, and took a refreshment break!

Most of the time your bicycle is to heavy and you do not want more stuff. On the other hand, when the tienda was closed 3 towns in a row, I was really happy to have people stop and offer me water.

[Edited on 3-4-2017 by joerover]

the fat lady is breeding
which means
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 4-1-2017 at 09:10 PM

Fastest know time on the Baja divide bike route
11 days 13 hours 2 minutes
Tecate to Cabo
girl in video (Lael,) set the time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diZgO_oZBZU

another Baja Divide video
http://www.bikepacking.com/plog/baja-divide-film/

the fat lady is breeding
which means
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 11-29-2017 at 08:43 PM

Well it is time again.
Any word on el nino?
Is he sleeping?

Any ideas for a new alternate route?
Any ideas about my personal interest, cave paintings along the baja divide bicycle route?

Or, is it back to cycling alone, everyone else lost interest?

Why do we always return to baja?

It is hard and unforgiving

There is little water

we always return

[Edited on 11-30-2017 by joerover]

[Edited on 12-2-2017 by BajaNomad]

the fat lady is breeding
which means
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-29-2017 at 09:40 PM

Joe, I offered again this year to drive a support vehicle for my son and some of his riding companions if they wanted to do a mid winter Baja tour, but he made other plans.

By the way, he is very active in the Anchorage cycling community, and Lael Wilcox (also from Anchorage) is one of his friends. If you are ever interested in riding roads or trails under the midnight sun, U2U me sometime and I will provide his contact info.

[Edited on 11-30-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 11-29-2017 at 10:27 PM

I am able to ride just fast enough to get out of the way, and let those them young people pass by.

In the forseeable future, my plans include cycling in baja, Nicaragua, Guatemala, the Pacific Northwest trail, and the Great Western trail.

You know maybe.
Or.
I could sit at a computer and type about bicycles.
Or.
I could use my bicycle to search for cave paintings.

the fat lady is breeding
which means
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 11-30-2017 at 07:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
A very big undertaking to say the least. It would be nice if they provided a GPS file to convert to GE or a Google Earth file. From what I see everything is tied to an interactive Memory map. I would like to plot the course on GE and either print out the sections or store them on my Laptop for use if I'm down for it.

I was able to put the route on GE
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2017 at 02:02 PM

Did anyone notice some places of interest along the bike route? Such as archaeological sites. Places of interest that should seen.

10 days ago I was at Misión San Francisco de Borja and the caretaker told me hundreds of bikes from this event had come thru a week earlier.

We even saw some new, bike-related graffito on the road to the Misión:

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2017 at 02:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Did anyone notice some places of interest along the bike route? Such as archaeological sites. Places of interest that should seen.

10 days ago I was at Misión San Francisco de Borja and the caretaker told me hundreds of bikes from this event had come thru a week earlier.

possibly a different event? there are 2 cross-penninsula events, one a mt bike ride, the other a hike - both get pretty big participation (several hundred or riders or hikers), and both go by mision san borja. basic route is from pacific to BOLA passing the mission

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2017 at 03:10 PM

We passed a bunch of riders last week. One group going through the mountains outside of Loreto to Insurgentes. Riding on the highway. Going up big ass grades and sharp turns.

Grueling and dangerous.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2017 at 05:11 PM

possibly a different event? there are 2 cross-penninsula events, one a mt bike ride, the other a hike - both get pretty big participation (several hundred or riders or hikers), and both go by mision san borja. basic route is from pacific to BOLA passing the mission

Yep, could be. Hard to see in the photo after "xochi" it says 2017, so *sometime* this year.

joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 11-30-2017 at 07:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  

Seems they have a local bicycle club in the area of Montevideo or San Borja, or ?¡?¿¿ somewhere. I bumped into a group of cyclists on a 100* day leaving Montevideo, (cave paintings,) last march. I was cycling because I had opnly 5 liters of water. These guys are hardcore , cycling in a heat wave, and far from home, could be a racing club.

the fat lady is breeding
which means
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2017 at 01:11 PM

Joe, those are some amazing photos! I never thought to offer cookies or water to bikers while they are riding but I have often talked to them when we meet up at tiendas in Baja.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 12-2-2017 at 07:51 PM

mardi gras ensenada 2016

baja divide 2016

still working on the night time cactus technique.

1 minute into 2017, tjtq

[Edited on 12-3-2017 by joerover]

[Edited on 3-2-2019 by BajaNomad]

the fat lady is breeding
which means
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 12-2-2017 at 07:55 PM

Montevideo

ensenada

the fat lady is breeding
which means
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 12-2-2017 at 08:04 PM

Back on track, thanks very much

I found some unknow, or unmapped rock art east of El Arco, less than a hundred yards of the baja divide bicycle route. I was looking for rock art at the time. Anybody know where to look for more history off the bike route?

[Edited on 12-3-2017 by joerover]

the fat lady is breeding
which means
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.