Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: Pompano
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2016 at 11:15 AM
Pompano

Not sure if this is the proper place to ask this but has anyone heard from Roger? I always enjoyed his posts, pictures and stories. I hope he is okay.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2016 at 11:31 AM

He's been AWOL for a while now. Anyone remember his last name? Maybe some research can be done.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-27-2016 at 11:36 AM

I too have been wondering.
cliffh
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2016 at 12:17 PM

I miss his great stories and photos, hope all is well
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-27-2016 at 02:35 PM

I got an email from him...a year ago? He was building a new cabin, and having some health problems...I'll send one off and see what I can find out...

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2016 at 06:32 PM

I hope he is fishing in an awesome place somewhere!

His posts were amazing and are really missed.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2016 at 07:11 PM

Yes, Roger always had good posts and pics about his travels. I know he had some medical issues and am hoping he he well. If anyone has information on how he's doing it would be appreciated.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2016 at 07:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
I got an email from him...a year ago? He was building a new cabin, and having some health problems...I'll send one off and see what I can find out...

Appreciate it, thank you.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-27-2016 at 07:45 PM

That guy is my hero! He did it his way......

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2016 at 07:53 PM

Well....his way and copilot's way. :light:

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-27-2016 at 08:09 PM

I sent him an email a while ago...Didn't bounce so must still be an active address.....

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2016 at 08:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
I sent him an email a while ago...Didn't bounce so must still be an active address.....

Great, thank you.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2016 at 08:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Pretty easy to live a massive lifestyle when you're born with a silver spoon in your mouth and never had to work a day in your life! His cradle robbing was amusing. What did he call his gold diggers, copilots?

You are dead wrong Mr. Mtgoat. Pompano was born with a golden heart, a radio voice and storytelling abilities but no silver spoon.

What is work? Is it work picking rocks off of acres of fields for a nickel a bucket for summer after summer before you were even born Mr. Goat. How about driving a combine back in the day after day on a hot, windy, prairie afternoon before closed cabs Mr Goat. Is that a days work? Ever drove an overloaded sugar beet truck, there is no other kind btw, from the field to the pile? Is that a days work.

Sometimes health, money and time intersect at the perfect moment. How one chooses to spend those good fortunes is a personal decision. If you don't like someone ok, but don't make up bs.

Pompano chose to spend his moment of fortune in Baja and had a blast doing it. It was a fun ride. That ride had nothing to do with silver spoons and even less to do with never having had to work in a day in his life.

Not one of the copilots was a gold digger. Gold they had. They were looking for fun, adventure and someone with whom to share their thirst for fun and adventure.

That is work to: it is lot of work training co-pilots!:bounce:

Spoke with Pompano last month. He is officially retired now. Slowing down a bit and spending time with his family. Baja daze are over. It was fun.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2016 at 08:37 AM

Maybe Bob and Susan can recall Roger's last name??

Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2016 at 08:50 AM
Pompano

I too miss Pompano's posts about life around the Mulege area. Especially his fishing adventures with many informative pictures and explanation of his fishing techniques. Yes, I miss them greatly. His posts guided me south of Conception Bay to bottomfish holes and areas easily found in my small boat. A good friend of mine had a place adjacent to his a few years back and told me what a wonderful and caring neighbor he was. What you saw and read in his posts was who he was.

Yes, he was born into a family with large real estate holdings, I believe in SD, and was raised hunting and fishing. He is an outdoorsman's outdoorsman who shared his knowledge with others and held us on the edge of our seats or in my case keyboard while he spun his tales.

One thing goat does not understand is that material wealth does not go with you but relationships and the love of people lasts well after you have left this earth. As is so evident in the posts on BN from admirers that keep inquiring about him.

As for goat, like with Joe, I suggest you do not even acknowledge their responses with a reply. Goat has never once offered anything positive to say that I have read, just "shoot the messenger" responses, like his troll buddy joe. Have you ever seen a post by either of them with pictures of their Baja experiences? A positive reply? Have they even ever stepped foot into Baja? As with Joe just ignore them both and their disrespectful replies and hopefully they will fade back to OT where they belong. Mums the word.

I hope Pompano is getting better so he can share some more adventures about fishing and hunting from his hometown area. That area is on my bucket list for a road trip this spring and if possible finally meeting this great man of words and adventures.

Get well Pompano. We are all waiting to hear from you again.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2016 at 09:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
That guy is my hero! He did it his way......

Pretty easy to live a massive lifestyle when you're born with a silver spoon in your mouth and never had to work a day in your life!

His cradle robbing was amusing. What did he call his gold diggers, copilots?

I am one of I'm sure many, who greatly appreciated Rogers many posts and pictures sharing his forty plus years of Baja living. This has given many of us a chance to see Baja in the "Golden Years", of plentiful sea life and pristine beaches as it will never be again. Roger always stressed only taking what sea life you need for the next meal, and respecting the Baja environment. Who wouldn't be envious of a lifestyle of spending winters in Baja, and summers "up north"? How he managed this lifestyle is no ones business but his own, and certainly is no reason for criticism.
The many photos of attractive ladies in the Baja setting only enhances the experience and adds to the Baja allure. I didn't notice any who stand out as having been robbed from the cradle however.
Most of us struggle to manage a few weeks in Baja and dream of being able to retire there. I doubt anyone has experienced Baja from the early days or personally knows as many of the Baja Icons as Roger.
I hope he is currently secluded condensing his photos and stories to a book that will certainly be a best seller.
htnfool
Nomad

Mood: Fishy

[*] posted on 11-28-2016 at 09:15 AM

ROGER PRAMHAUS....pronounced (promise)....I think I spelled it right..

Spent many years with Roger in mulege....drinking, hanging out, fishing, playing cards and my personal favorite, looking at all his pictures and hearing the stories. I was just a young buck when I met him, some 15 years ago. He was great at all of it.

I remember sitting with him a year before he left watching the annual mulege pig races. He asked me, " How many people do you know here?" I replied "Oh, quite a few, why?" He said " I don't know anyone...they are all gone, some moved away but most are dead...."

As with everything, people move on, Roger sold his beautiful house on Coyote beach and tried to stay on the beach in his RV, but his heart wasn't in to it and his health forced his exit from mulege.

Last I heard was that he was up in SD hunting ducks and tugging on walleye and no doubt chasing co-pilot...hopefully with his clothes on.

Roger, If you are reading this. I wish you all the best and thanks for all the memories... May all your ducks decoy and may the walleye take your bait...Safe travels my friend
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-28-2016 at 09:40 AM

I discovered this forum slightly over two years ago, and Roger quickly became my favorite author. I am in Mulege now, and regret that I can't arrange to meet him, as I am sure that there are many more story's to absorb.

I have nothing but contempt for anyone who would launch a personal attack on someone who has shared so much!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-28-2016 at 10:31 AM

Roger often spent the night in his RV at Guajome Lake park in east Oceanside. He would call me sometimes when he passed by my house, I was never able to connect to meet him. We did have fun exchanges here on Nomad or email about the "golden years" before or just after Hwy. 1 was completed (Dec. '73).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2016 at 10:32 AM

Thanks for the updates everyone, I appreciate it and I'm sure others do as well. Go away mtgoat, you give me a headache.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.