Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Peso/Dollar
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2016 at 01:54 PM

the telegraph is called TELECOMM TELEGRAFO and here in Mexico, they all work with western union.

Les was in Vizcaino this morning and could NOT get his money out. when you are doing construction (his middle name) this can get weary real fast

I had no idea that some bancomers were limiting the amounts to 2k

and although it makes perfect sense to limit when the cash is running low in the machine - I had never heard about this either.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-29-2016 at 02:10 PM

I think it has more to do with the ratio of the peso to the dollar...I also don't think anyone will admit that. Long time ago, when we had to drive to Santa Rosalia to do money stuff, and the peso was bouncing around, The bank manager told me that they would get a call NOT to exchange money that day...Just a guess on my part...

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2016 at 04:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
the telegraph is called TELECOMM TELEGRAFO and here in Mexico, they all work with western union.

Les was in Vizcaino this morning and could NOT get his money out. when you are doing construction (his middle name) this can get weary real fast

I had no idea that some bancomers were limiting the amounts to 2k

and although it makes perfect sense to limit when the cash is running low in the machine - I had never heard about this either.

I know I have talked about this with you and Les in the past.

I can not understand why anyone living where we do would drive to Vizcaino for pesos when you know you can not depend on getting them that day.

David E. cried about this endlessly.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2016 at 04:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
I think it has more to do with the ratio of the peso to the dollar...I also don't think anyone will admit that. Long time ago, when we had to drive to Santa Rosalia to do money stuff, and the peso was bouncing around, The bank manager told me that they would get a call NOT to exchange money that day...Just a guess on my part...

That may have something to do with it, but try to get large amounts out an ATM late Friday night or Saturday morning in the U.S. and you will find the same thing. It just does not have the cash to give. It throttles back the output.
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2016 at 06:29 PM

Can't say that I have ever run into that problem in the states. Certainly not in Southern Cal. Maybe I did but since I could throw a stick in any direction and hit another ATM it was not much of an inconvenience.

Quote: Originally posted by msteve1014  
Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  

That may have something to do with it, but try to get large amounts out an ATM late Friday night or Saturday morning in the U.S. and you will find the same thing. It just does not have the cash to give. It throttles back the output.
fish101
Nomad

Mood: energized

[*] posted on 11-30-2016 at 08:16 AM

Hey Mike...The problem at Ley's in Loreto is that normally the ATM is out of money on Monday morning, which was the case on 11/28/2016, but that afternoon they refilled it and it spit out the normal 6000 pesos when I used my "debit" card.. The first ATM Machine is out of order, but has something to do with Ley's I think.. When you get your receipt from the first ATM it says "Ley's" on it, the 2nd on is Banamex.. If you need more than 6000 pesos, use your card the 2nd time for more..Unless your bank in the states as set limits..At least Ley's , Walmart and the Pemex stations have been accepting "Debit" cards, so we don't have to go hungry.. The PEMEX on Jurez will not take "Gringo Cards".. Manager won't budge..
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-30-2016 at 09:06 AM

I have not been following this thread, and I just started a new one about getting peso's in Mulege and Loreto. Lap Paz is my next attempt.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2016 at 11:16 AM

My U S debit card was declined this morning at the ATM machines in the Bancomer in el centro in Loreto. A couple of months ago when I was in need of cash I was able to get 30,000 pesos in a few minutes in three back to back transactions on a single card at the same machines. This morning after striking out at the bank I went to Ley where from the one working machine I received 10,000 from two 5,000 transactions.
In my experience, withdrawing pesos from ATM machines in Loreto is hit or miss with the machines at the bank getting progressively worse. There is also a machine at the airport. I've never had to resort to that machine but it is dependable enough that some Loretanos routinely make the trip to the airport to get their cash.
MikeYounghusband
Nomad

Mood: Always ready for more

[*] posted on 11-30-2016 at 12:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fish101  
Hey Mike...The problem at Ley's in Loreto is that normally the ATM is out of money on Monday morning, which was the case on 11/28/2016, but that afternoon they refilled it and it spit out the normal 6000 pesos when I used my "debit" card.. The first ATM Machine is out of order, but has something to do with Ley's I think.. When you get your receipt from the first ATM it says "Ley's" on it, the 2nd on is Banamex.. If you need more than 6000 pesos, use your card the 2nd time for more..Unless your bank in the states as set limits..At least Ley's , Walmart and the Pemex stations have been accepting "Debit" cards, so we don't have to go hungry.. The PEMEX on Jurez will not take "Gringo Cards".. Manager won't budge..

Ley ATM just says there is a problem with my card. Sometimes it works. A lot of gringos at Centro standing, frustrated and peeed off. Seems it works some times and not others. IDK.

Well after trying everywhere in Loreto and getting nothing I went to the airport and got $4000 pesos for a $90 peso fee. Better than nothing.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-30-2016 at 12:32 PM

Our Telegraph office in Asuncion is also hit or miss...sometimes the system is down,sometimes there is no money or very long lines but at least you can get it at times.

If you are a temporary or permanent resident I highly recommend getting a Mexican bank account with a debit and a credit card...the gas stations and building supply places all take those cards as well as the stores here in town so we can save what cash can be had.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2016 at 12:35 PM

Ley's machines now limit one to 6000 pesos a shot and are frequently out of money, but they are the best chance in town. if the machine says it can't read the card, or some such, rub the magnetic strip (carefully) on an article of clothing and try again. sometimes this takes four or five attempts, if not reading is the issue.

the Santa Fe hotel/market has an ATM, I don't know the bank nor the limit.

also there is a small store/bank? Azteca or Electra or ??? next to Comex and El Arco which I understand will change dollars for pesos (need your passport). I've not tried this, so I don't know if it still works nor the exchange rate.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
candidarlee

[*] posted on 12-5-2016 at 01:26 PM

We are having issues down here in Los Bariles/La Ribera as well. I'm hoping to get 2000 out tomorrow a few times, we are almost out of cash. Might have to wire transfer to a friend to get money!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2016 at 01:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Our Telegraph office in Asuncion is also hit or miss...sometimes the system is down,sometimes there is no money or very long lines but at least you can get it at times.

If you are a temporary or permanent resident I highly recommend getting a Mexican bank account with a debit and a credit card...the gas stations and building supply places all take those cards as well as the stores here in town so we can save what cash can be had.

Our office quit carrying large amounts of cash after they were robbed a couple of years ago. Our coop is paid now with pre-paid debit cards so getting cash is always a pain.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.