Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Tankless water heater
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2016 at 07:58 AM
Tankless water heater

My 10 gallon water heater started leaking so I need to replace it. I am probably going to get a tank-less. Any recommendations from anyone using one themselves. I live alone so don't need too many liters per minute, but I don't want to go the minimum so I am thinking of one capable of 10 to 12 liters per minute. My supply pump is rated 12 lpm.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-3-2016 at 08:34 AM

Constant water pressure and constant gas flow....usually a 1/2" gas line won't work
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2016 at 08:41 AM

I vote against. We put them in our house when we built. Could never get them to work with the pump system. Could never figure out if it was a water pressure or gas issue. If you don't mind it shutting off in the middle of your shower you will be fine. We replaced ours with tanks (2).

A 20 gallon tank heater is a simple device that will not fail you for a long time.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2016 at 08:48 AM

we have 2 tankless units. both are operating on a long run of 1/2" copper pipe. one unit is a 30 y/o paloma, the other a rheem locally purchased. nice to have unlimited hot water. as for water pressure ours ranges from 20-50psi as regulated by the switch on the pump. most units i have used require a drop of at least 3psi when the h/w valve is moved to the open position in order to open the gas valve and light the burner. in theory, a head of 7 feet could yield that 3psi and operate the pressure switch, if a gravity as the only pressure system was used. good luck with the project.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2016 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  
I vote against. We put them in our house when we built. Could never get them to work with the pump system. Could never figure out if it was a water pressure or gas issue. If you don't mind it shutting off in the middle of your shower you will be fine. We replaced ours with tanks (2).

A 20 gallon tank heater is a simple device that will not fail you for a long time.

could't agree more....could never dial in the one in gonzaga bay and the one in rosarito lasted less than a year before it sprung a leak....lovin the tank heaters :yes:
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 12-3-2016 at 09:42 AM

I had mine for about 3 months. Problem was the hot water never stayed on for more than a minute. When the pressure dropped so did the hot water.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-3-2016 at 09:57 AM

I am a fan of ours; it has cut down our propane consumption by 50%, at least. And we had a fiberglass blanket on our old-style, 30 gallon tank.

They can be temperamental if you have pressure issues. We keep our pressurized system between 30-50psi.

I employ two separate tankless heater settings; one for everyday use and one for when the missus wants to take a bath. It would fill very slowly on the everyday setting so we increase the water flow and the gas flow (both of these variables are on the heater itself) for this use. She (we) like a really hot bath. I see it occasionally producing water as hot as 50 C.

Other variables that can affect it's performance include how much alkaline buildup you have at the water valve, the shower head and how sensitive your shower's diverter valve (between bathtub faucet and shower head). You want both your cold and hot water as free flowing as possible through all these points of impediment.

I have heard many complaints about the Bosch's in our town. I have a small one under a sink in the wet bar and it has not failed in three years, but it doesnt get used much. I would stay away from Bosch; it is not made in Germany, if that is what you are thinking.

Ours is a Mexican brand, Aquor. Believe it is only 7 liters/minute.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-3-2016 at 10:17 AM

I had 7 units...the last 2 for the kitchen and washer are now gone...

I hated them

I replaced all units with 12 gallon heaters

way better flow of hot water...no burning or freezing when it turns on and off
no need for bigger...that's just a waste of propane
the smaller unit heat really fast

if you use more than 10 gallons of hot water in the shower you are using too much : )
it's called "forced participation" in saving water

I noticed in home depot they recommend a aux electric water pump be installed with tankless units to reduce the pressure issue...

I also found that buying a "step-up" in price heater unit is way better...the low end heaters just didn't last here in mulege with the hard water and salt in the air

I vote against the tankless heaters..they are not what you'd think

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-3-2016 at 02:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

if you use more than 10 gallons of hot water in the shower you are using too much : )
it's called "forced participation" in saving water

I agree with Bob, only we are even more conservative. My wife and I use a 3-gallon sun-shower on boonie camping trips, me using 1 gallon, and wife using 2 gallons (she has more hair than I), when we shower. Totally adequate, even with washing our hair. We call our shower-type "navy showers" as one learns to conserve fresh water when aboard ship. (-:

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2016 at 02:38 PM

I've been using two of the Bosch units they sell at Home Depot in Mexico. They've worked flawlessly for 7 years. I did have to replace the 2 D cell batteries that provide power to the igniter a couple years ago. Before that we had a Paloma that worked for 30 years.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2016 at 03:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
I've been using two of the Bosch units they sell at Home Depot in Mexico. They've worked flawlessly for 7 years. I did have to replace the 2 D cell batteries that provide power to the igniter a couple years ago. Before that we had a Paloma that worked for 30 years.

love the palomas! i have used them from baja to alaska. easy to repair,great to use. that said, i did have some bad luck about 10 years ago with the bosch/homedepot. luck-of-the-draw i guess. i suppose tankless is to challenging for some folks.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 08:01 AM

I changed to tankless set up from 10 gal water heater. Tank of gas lasted 1 month.Now over 3 months they are very tricky to use.Once you get the hang of it works great.You would never want them in a hotel. Also depends on the brand I have heard many complaints on Bosch units years ago.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 08:10 AM

here is an electric tankless. 13kw (not solar friendly), 2 gal/min, $220
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-EcoSense-RETE-13-13kW-1-97-...
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 08:26 AM

I have heard lots of complaints about the tankless...very finicky. We love our Rheum small water tanks...they heat up just enough for a nice shower in 15 minutes and last for many hours hot in the tank too. The great thing is if by chance the heating element burns out, they are easy to change and cheap. We put ours right in the shower top corner and we havent had to replace them ever. It is always wise to get water heaters where you live so you can get replacement parts easily when needed....a tip here...use what everyone else uses for success!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 09:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
here is an electric tankless. 13kw (not solar friendly)

13 KW?! On Baja wiring? :lol:

clearly it requires a #4 or #6 wire depending on the run. not a big deal. quite do-able by any qualified electrician, or handy fellow.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 11:18 AM

Larry,
Looks like Pacificobob's handy fellow was at work here.:biggrin:

BTW, never heard anything good or positive about tankless heaters.

[Edited on 12-4-2016 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 02:07 PM

I have a Takagi tankless in my California house for 14 years. It has been great.
Would I try that in La Bocana? No way.
I also have 2 #10 wires feeding my whole house there.
I don't care what size wire you run from the panel to the heater, it wont work.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 04:26 PM

living in a poorly wired home is not mandatory in mexico. its a choice.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 04:32 PM

Everyone I know uses gas tankless heaters in Mexico,never electric.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 05:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
living in a poorly wired home is not mandatory in mexico. its a choice.

Thanks boob, that's good to know.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.