Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7
Author: Subject: NO wimps ?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-17-2016 at 10:35 AM

El Gato is located where the road to La Trinidad intersects with El Camino Real, east branch or the Golfo Camino Real.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2017 at 07:57 PM
Route

Has anyone been on any of the three routes shown on David K's map from Santa Gertrudis to San Ignacio? Wanted to scout out another route going from San Fransquito, Santa Barbara Ranch to San Ignacio, this will be a bike trip in March 2018, will scout it out in my Jeep probably in January.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-6-2017 at 08:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rich t  
Has anyone been on any of the three routes shown on David K's map from Santa Gertrudis to San Ignacio? Wanted to scout out another route going from San Fransquito, Santa Barbara Ranch to San Ignacio, this will be a bike trip in March 2018, will scout it out in my Jeep probably in January.

The map scale makes it hard to see what route is. But that is mostly protected area, you can’t enter w/o guide, and motorcycles are generally verboten. If you want to travel up there, it’s w/ guides, and usually traveling by foot/mule.
A really great place to travel, well worth the adventure of giving up internal combustion engines for a few days!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2017 at 10:24 PM

The route I am most interested in is the eastern one from Santa Gertrudis which crosses the entrance to El Gato, we can take the road south from there, have done that several times, but have never been from Santa Gertrudis to El gato, is that a 2 track?
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 07:56 AM

drove thru a couple weeks ago the entire No Wimps ... a tractor / grader has cleaned it all up ... a new side road thru El Gato bypasses all the crappy rock trail ... it was less then a full day from San Ignacio to Punta San Fransiquito ... good times.

[Edited on 11-7-2017 by Desertbull]

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 08:07 AM

Thanks for the info, last year there was talk about someone buying a large parcel of property and putting up a gate and blocking El Gato, sounds like it never happened.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 09:26 AM

This lady (and others riding mules):

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 09:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Desertbull  
drove thru a couple weeks ago the entire No Wimps ... a tractor / grader has cleaned it all up ... a new side road thru El Gato bypasses all the crappy rock trail ... it was less then a full day from San Ignacio to Punta San Fransiquito ... good times.

[Edited on 11-7-2017 by Desertbull]

Interesting news Tim!
Word is a power cable will cross the gulf near El Barril and connect with the Baja Sur power grid near Santa Rosalia. Perhaps this grading is for that project? Can you draw us a map showing the new graded road in relation to the No Wimps Trail?
Thank you.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 10:11 AM

Fencing has already started to be installed with gates. Whether the gates will be locked or not is not clear at this time. The person in charge has not made it clear in his communications. The person in charge is named Juan and he is working out of Rancho La Ilusion near El Barril. This is for a mountain goat preserve. I'm not sure of the total area involved. I was told it covered the Rancho Santa Barbara and Rancho San Miguel areas.

If anyone stops at Rancho La Ilusion they may be able to talk to Juan and get the latest info.

Harald, Nomad 4x4abc, may have more info on the power line going thru that David mentioned. He had a map of the basic route.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 10:39 AM

I traced a route about 5 miles south of El Gato going northwest toward Santa Gertrudis but topping off before the 28th parallel rounding down to Hwy 1 at KM154. It looked to be all two track with a couple of ranches along the way.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 11:34 AM

You saying a 4 wheel vehicle can get from San Casimiro over the sierra to Santa Marta/ El Rosarito now? wow!

rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 12:17 PM

TMW, did you actually run this or pick the roads up on google earth?
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 06:42 PM

not drivable with 4x4, Tom
maybe, maybe, maybe with a bike

I am pretty sure that when CFE is done with the new power line, the area will be closed off

the new power line (230kV) will run from a tad south of San Francisquito to Santa Rosalia along the coastline
good bye No Wimp trail

Harald Pietschmann
rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 07:30 PM

Can you go from Santa Barbara Ranch, Santa Gertrudis, San Casimino, to El Trufino which ties into the No Wimps just west of El Gato?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 07:43 PM

TMW, did you actually run this or pick the roads up on google earth?

I followed it on Google Earth. The GE map was 2014 so the storms from then may have made it impossible to run now.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 07:49 PM

I don't think you can go from Santa Gertrudis to Rancho Santa Barbara except maybe on a motorcycle. At least that is the way it looks on Google Earth. There is a section closer to Santa Barbara that you lose the trail on GE.
rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 08:16 PM

Has anyone tried going from San Francisquito, Rancho Piedra Blanca, Rancho Miraflores, Santa Gertrudis, San Casimino then to El trufino?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 08:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I don't think you can go from Santa Gertrudis to Rancho Santa Barbara except maybe on a motorcycle. At least that is the way it looks on Google Earth. There is a section closer to Santa Barbara that you lose the trail on GE.

Santa Gertrudis to Santa Barbara and on to the coast was a mission supply trail.

It was done on m/c about 15 years ago by Kevin Ward. No 4x4s. Pretty crazy cliff the mission era trail drops down along.

rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 08:24 PM

How about the route above your last post, do you know if it is doable David?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 09:45 PM

Show me El Trufino on a map and I will check my sources. From what I saw near Prosperidad a few months ago, I bet fences are going to be an issue.

Pages:  1  2    4    6  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.