Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7
Author: Subject: NO wimps ?
rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 10:27 PM

If you were heading north from San Ignacio and you reach the sign that says El Gato there is a turn to the North with a sign that says El trufino, it is about 13 miles South east of San Casimino.
bburnsman

[*] posted on 11-8-2017 at 09:23 PM
Recently in El Barril

I was in El Barril last week. We tried to go south from town to see how far we could get on the trail. Prior to doing so, we spoke to locals because we were interested in how the hurricanes had treated the area. Locals reported that might not be the biggest problem. They said something about a goat farm or ranch and that there are gates erected with locks and no trespassing signs. Being non-believers, we went down the trail and it wasn't two miles till we hit the gates and signs. closed up tight.:(
rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2017 at 10:12 PM

The route I am interested in would by pass the No Wimps trail, going south you would leave San Francisquito and take the road heading to El Arco, after passing thru Rancho Piedra Blanca the road makes a Y, take the left spur which on my map goes to Rancho Miraflores, from there you would go thru santa Gertrudis, then head south pass thru El Carrizzo to San Casimiro, then to El Trufino which ties you back into the road to San Ignacio west of El Gato. The map I am using may have different names for some of the ranches, it is a programmable Mexican map.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2017 at 11:31 PM

Rich,
I cannot find El Trufino on the Almanac. Can you tell me a place nearby drainage, or mountain. I see no track leading north from near el Gato, but it shows the road we used to get to el Gato from the south.
Thanks
rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 07:59 AM

Paul, we will be in Baja tomorrow, will talk to you then, if you look on Henrys map you will see El Trufino, there is also a sign on the road by the El Gato sign which is west of El Gato. The El Trufino road looks pretty good at that point.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 08:05 AM

I am with Paul on this Rich. I was at Guillermo Prieto and Prosperidad, as well as Miraflores to Santa Gertrudis this past summer, so I was all around.

The trails between Santa Gertrudis and San Ignacio (via San Casimiro and El Gato, etc.) are mission roads from the 1700s, known as El Camino Real. There were three routes between the two missions of San Ignacio and Santa Gertrudis: Sierra, Golfo, Pacifico.

Modern roads are over the top of some of these trails. Google Earth is your friend at following them.

[Edited on 11-9-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 08:26 AM

El Gato and San Casimiro are pointed out.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 09:21 AM

Above on DK map. Found it on Henry's map (EL Triunfo). I suspect the route is the mid one passing thru San Gregorio drainage. Rich will clarify later.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 09:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Above on DK map. Found it on Henry's map (EL Triunfo). I suspect the route is the mid one passing thru San Gregorio drainage. Rich will clarify later.

I see a Triumfo at the bottom of the above map but, nowhere near the line between San Casimiro and El Gato... unless there is another one, too?

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 10:07 AM

Henry's map shows a road looping from El Gato road nw then S to San Gregorio. And it shows another SG north of the track? No connection for the road Rich describes. Clarification needed.
Probably driving the roads will give clarity.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 10:21 AM

Henry's map shows a road looping from El Gato road nw then S to San Gregorio. And it shows another SG north of the track? No connection for the road Rich describes. Clarification needed.

Maybe you could show us what Henry's Map looks like?

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 11:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Maybe you could show us what Henry's Map looks like?

======= =
Screen shot

gato.jpg - 158kB
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 12:02 PM

El Triunfo or El Trufino ? ......dyslexics make poor cartographers :biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 12:15 PM
screen shot

Again
Learning new stuff

gato1.jpg - 156kB
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 12:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I am with Paul on this Rich. I was at Guillermo Prieto and Prosperidad, as well as Miraflores to Santa Gertrudis this past summer, so I was all around.

The trails between Santa Gertrudis and San Ignacio (via San Casimiro and El Gato, etc.) are mission roads from the 1700s, known as El Camino Real. There were three routes between the two missions of San Ignacio and Santa Gertrudis: Sierra, Golfo, Pacifico.

Modern roads are over the top of some of these trails. Google Earth is your friend at following them.

[Edited on 11-9-2017 by David K]

Your blue-lined routes are mostly inside the world heritage site boundary, in area controlled by biosphere reserve and INAH.
why are y'all strategizing offroading in the restricted areas?

here is a map so you can stay out of trouble:

http://lugares.inah.gob.mx/images/zonas/croquis/Sierra_San_F...

the map on left is protected area boundary (not the inset map)

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 01:32 PM

Nobody told the padres, goat. The blue lines are routes the CAMINO REAL from about 1750 to 1800s, even used beyond and to today. Most of the area is too rugged for automobiles and that is why car roads went around the mountains and not over them.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 02:41 PM

Yes...Too bad the padres didn't know about the biosphere. LOL
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 02:43 PM

Goat,
Not a relevant comment. Nobody is suggesting we would drive off existing roads. Many of the roads we are discussing are not be depicted on the various maps, but many exist and we are just trying to find them before we drive.
David's blue lines are just for orientation to get us in the region of discussion.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 05:56 PM

The Biosphere Reserve does not prohibit driving on existing roads. That's how the ranchers get around.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 09:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
The Biosphere Reserve does not prohibit driving on existing roads. That's how the ranchers get around.
That is true as all ranchers use the roads to travel in the reserves. MT has no knowledge of Baja just a clueless tourist.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.