Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6  
Author: Subject: NO wimps ?
rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2017 at 03:53 PM

I have been without internet for a few days, using the Baja Almanac 2009 version on page 12 if you go south on the road that is marked El Gato you will see a wash called San Gregorio, there is a trail heading North west between the words San and Gregorio, that is about where the sign that said El Trufino was, it is just a small wooden sign, I am hoping that it will connect the trails together. On henrys map that is the section that is missing, I have found alot of roads to connect if you use the almanac and the map together.
twgracing
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2018 at 09:34 AM

Any new information on the no whimps trail south of El Barril? Is there a go around for the new sheep outfitter gates and fences? Planning to make this run leaving Gonzaga in May and any recent info would be appreciated.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2018 at 12:38 PM

The last posting on the subject was about 5 days ago and was about a hotel being built in the R. San Miguel area. Read it here.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=90065

If you decide to go that way you can check with the rancher at Rancho La Ilusion. His name is Jose Rosa. He may be able to advise you on what is going on. The last word we have is that the area is fenced and gates are locked. I have not heard of any bypass. I'm not sure how large the area is but assume it is from the El Barril area to the 28th parallel.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-15-2018 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
The last posting on the subject was about 5 days ago and was about a hotel being built in the R. San Miguel area. Read it here.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=90065

If you decide to go that way you can check with the rancher at Rancho La Ilusion. His name is Jose Rosa. He may be able to advise you on what is going on. The last word we have is that the area is fenced and gates are locked. I have not heard of any bypass. I'm not sure how large the area is but assume it is from the El Barril area to the 28th parallel.

I camped near La Ilusión last year and visited with José for a bit. I asked him if the new gates going up (to the south) were going to be locked. He replied they would not unless it became necessary. So, please leave your camp and trail route spotless.

TW, I called Roy the other day and chatted about Los Corrales. His beach was to the south, as speculated.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

twgracing
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2018 at 06:57 PM

Thanks TMW and David your posts have been very helpful in the past, and as always we would leave trail as if we weren't there. No Whimps is the last little piece of Baja I havn't explored yet, and wouldn't mind it taking some time if necessary. I saw that Desertbull had been through there late last year with zero issues, and was hoping that it may be the same situation. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-15-2018 at 08:46 PM

I would run it from the south
if it is gated at Rancho San Miguel you get at least to drive the largest portion of it
make sure, you have enough gas

feel privileged if it is not gated and locked at San Miguel

Harald Pietschmann
twgracing
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2018 at 04:55 PM

That is an option to come up from the south. Any idea how large the new fenced area is? Thanks for the help
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2018 at 06:58 PM

the fenced area is large enough so that nobody can get through

[Edited on 4-18-2018 by BajaNomad]

Harald Pietschmann
twgracing
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2018 at 07:08 PM

WOW. Hopefully we aren't a year too late. Thanks again for the info!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2018 at 07:29 PM

you might be able to sneak through when CFE builds the new powerline

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2018 at 07:34 PM

El Infiernito is the Arroyo just south of San Francisquito

Harald Pietschmann
twgracing
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2018 at 10:01 PM

Thats an extensive project! Were going to go for it second weekend of May.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2018 at 02:34 PM

If you feel adventurous I've traced a route on Google Earth that takes off from the NWT south of El Gato that would be interesting to follow.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2018 at 02:57 PM

not possible with 4WD

maybe (maybe) for a very adventurous bike

Harald Pietschmann
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2018 at 03:02 PM

Where would the problem areas be.
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2018 at 03:58 PM

I've just returned from a ADV Moto ride - big bikes ... and we came across two guys with KTM 1190's in the back of a truck and they had just been rescued at Punta Trinidad. They rode this 500+ pound motos into Santa Martha - El Gato and hit the beach sand at Trinidad where one Moto succumbed to electrical failure. They walked out to El Barril from Trinidad over 36 hours with no water, no supplies etc ... El Barril locals housed them, fed them, watered them and then they loaded into 2 pangas with plywood and 2x12's and headed to recover the KTM 1190's abandoned there near the beach. They brought them back to El Barril and stored them there and a local transported them to Guerro Negro and they caught the bus north to the border and home to Oregon ... then flew back to San Diego and picked up their truck they left in San Diego and returned to El Barril to retrieve their broken motos. They told me the story first hand and I just shook my head, they are lucky. No SPOT, No SAT Phone, No Delorme, No Plan, No 911 gear etc ... Crazy!

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2018 at 04:15 PM

Lucky the made it?
Extremely bad judgement.
Did the guys mention fences and gates?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2018 at 04:25 PM

next year they'll bring the Super Dukes!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-17-2018 at 04:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Where would the problem areas be.

Are you sure over the sierra is an automobile road rather than one of the El Camino Real trails (there are several in this region)?

[Edited on 4-17-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-17-2018 at 05:29 PM

The big KTM mis adventure bikes very poor choice for goat roping. Too big too heavy. Its hard on a dirt bike as it is.
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.