Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7
Author: Subject: NO wimps ?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-17-2018 at 06:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Desertbull  
I've just returned from a ADV Moto ride - big bikes ... and we came across two guys with KTM 1190's in the back of a truck and they had just been rescued at Punta Trinidad. They rode this 500+ pound motos into Santa Martha - El Gato and hit the beach sand at Trinidad where one Moto succumbed to electrical failure. They walked out to El Barril from Trinidad over 36 hours with no water, no supplies etc ... El Barril locals housed them, fed them, watered them and then they loaded into 2 pangas with plywood and 2x12's and headed to recover the KTM 1190's abandoned there near the beach. They brought them back to El Barril and stored them there and a local transported them to Guerro Negro and they caught the bus north to the border and home to Oregon ... then flew back to San Diego and picked up their truck they left in San Diego and returned to El Barril to retrieve their broken motos. They told me the story first hand and I just shook my head, they are lucky. No SPOT, No SAT Phone, No Delorme, No Plan, No 911 gear etc ... Crazy!

It is possible to have an adventure without bringing a SPOT umbillical cord cxn to mommy...
Just saying!

I spent a number of decades doing foolish things in the backcountry without a plan or a satellite phone. In fact, i will let you whipper snappers know a secret, there was time long ago, but within memeory of many here, when there were no cell phones or satellite-signal-et-phone-home pocket umbillical cords! Believe it or not!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2018 at 07:27 PM

I ride a 990 but know where not to take it, when I know I can come back with my 500 and have fun! Just returned from a group ride with some guys that I will never ride with again, they put the group in several bad spots and act like its nothing! A bad spot in Baja is much worse then at home! Eighty miles of single track one night to get them gas because they lied about how far their bikes went on a tank, knowing before hand that they wouldn't make it!!! Lesson learned.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-17-2018 at 07:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
I ride a 990 but know where not to take it, when I know I can come back with my 500 and have fun! Just returned from a group ride with some guys that I will never ride with again, they put the group in several bad spots and act like its nothing! A bad spot in Baja is much worse then at home! Eighty miles of single track one night to get them gas because they lied about how far their bikes went on a tank, knowing before hand that they wouldn't make it!!! Lesson learned.

Thats pretty dumb. That would be my last ride with them too. A couple broke bikes and that could of ended badly.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2018 at 08:06 PM

Agreed.. No broken bikes but we almost had a couple of broken riders that had pretty good crashes in the dark going for gas! A few small mistakes can get compounded quick in Baja.
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 4-18-2018 at 07:46 AM

Rereading this ... again. What is the current word on the NWT? I'm aware it might be fenced off at San Miguel, but is the track acceptable from the south in a 4x4, or is it moto only? I do have my historic GPS track to La Trinidad, FWIW.

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-18-2018 at 09:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

Thats pretty dumb. That would be my last ride with them too. A couple broke bikes and that could of ended badly.
Just wondering ED. You rode with me many times how far would a mis Adventure bike bike get on my rides.:)
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2018 at 12:43 PM

Pappy it is doable in a 4x4. The last to do it as far as I know is Desertbull late last year. The trail from a Google Earth view is what 4x4abc posted above. I last did it in Dec. of 2016 and Spring of 2017.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2018 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Where would the problem areas be.

Are you sure over the sierra is an automobile road rather than one of the El Camino Real trails (there are several in this region)?

The trail I copied follows the ECR off the NWT trail at the jnctn F71 shown in the lower right of the image below. It departs at F90 going in a NW direction. To the left of Fa8 is a ranch with a road going west from it. How the road is I don't know. On GE it is fairly easy to follow the trail from F71 to F90. There are two sets of switchbacks. Who knows what the rains have done. It is rather hard to follow the trail from F90 to Fa8.

[Edited on 4-18-2018 by TMW]
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-18-2018 at 01:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

Just wondering ED. You rode with me many times how far would a mis Adventure bike bike get on my rides.:)

Your motto is the same as mine "Live to ride another day"
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-18-2018 at 05:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Where would the problem areas be.

Are you sure over the sierra is an automobile road rather than one of the El Camino Real trails (there are several in this region)?

The trail I copied follows the ECR off the NWT trail at the jnctn F71 shown in the lower right of the image below. It departs at F90 going in a NW direction. To the left of Fa8 is a ranch with a road going west from it. How the road is I don't know. On GE it is fairly easy to follow the trail from F71 to F90. There are two sets of switchbacks. Who knows what the rains have done. It is rather hard to follow the trail from F90 to Fa8.

[Edited on 4-18-2018 by TMW]

Tom,

the ranch you show is Las Parras (Las Juntas)
I have hired local guides there in occasion to follow Camino Real
they told me as early as 1990 that the trails east of the rancho are even tough on a mule
I did not want to believe them and checked it out on foot
I am an expert on impossible 4x4 - they were right, no 4x4 possible
hard core bikers can likely do it
http://www.beta.inegi.org.mx/app/biblioteca/ficha.html?upc=7...

same story from the other side
starting at Rancho El Triunfo or at Cerro El Piojo you can bushwhack through Llano San Gregorio for some miles, but when you get to Cuesta Blanca (Cuesta del Tahualila) you'll have to start walking
http://www.beta.inegi.org.mx/app/biblioteca/ficha.html?upc=7...

Harald Pietschmann
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2018 at 07:20 PM

Thanks Harald.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-18-2018 at 07:47 PM

bring plenty of time and we could dick around in that area
there is much more than meets the eye

cooler weather and my improved foot would needed

Harald Pietschmann
TRAVISD

[*] posted on 8-29-2019 at 02:10 PM

Has any one done this trail lately? Are there locked gates?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2019 at 02:57 PM

Last I heard locked gates are still locked. Most of us have given up on doing the trail.
I have it on my to do list and probably will try from both ends a see for myself. Next season.
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.