Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Primitive Camping down the Peninsula
katblue

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 08:26 AM
Primitive Camping down the Peninsula

Hello everyone. I am glad I found this site.

I am thinking about heading down the Baja Peninsula and primitive camping along the way. I am in my 4wd truck with full solar, etc. I don't need hookups so I'm looking for interesting camping areas to visit. I want to take my time going down and don't mind heading off in new directions for a few days or more. I have no time-set for getting down to the East Cape area or Todos Santos nor when to return. I speak Spanish.

Oh my. I forgot the most important thing. I need to have cell service because I work on the road off of a hotspot. I hope this is possible.

Any advice/locations are appreciated.

Thank you

[Edited on 12-4-2016 by katblue]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 08:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by katblue  
Hello everyone. I am glad I found this site.

I am thinking about heading down the Baja Peninsula and primitive camping along the way. I am in my 4wd truck with full solar, etc. I don't need hookups so I'm looking for interesting camping areas to visit. I want to take my time going down and don't mind heading off in new directions for a few days or more. I have no time-set for getting down to the East Cape area or Todos Santos nor when to return. I speak Spanish.

Oh my. I forgot the most important thing. I need to have cell service because I work on the road off of a hotspot. I hope this is possible.

Any advice/locations are appreciated.

Thank you

[Edited on 12-4-2016 by katblue]

I can't think of any good primitive camping spots with cell phone coverage. To get cell phone signal you need to be in or very near towns.

There are rv parks and pay-campsites that offer free wifi or are in/near towns with cell coverage.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

katblue

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 08:53 AM

Thank you. Hopefully someone knows of some places? Do you know if Santispec beach in Mulege has cell service or around Luigi? Maybe BOLA? or near Shari? etc??
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 08:58 AM

Maybe eliminate the word "primitive". There is camping on the beach around the towns of La Bocana and Asuncion or most other towns that will have cell service. BOLA did not last we were there.
katblue

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 09:09 AM

Oh - Thank you!!

I SO appreciate that information.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 09:09 AM

Asuncin, yes.
Most of Baja, where you can primitive camp away from people, no.
Your option is satellite Internet if you must stay connected to civilization.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 09:15 AM

i met a guy several years camping on a remote beach doing day trading with a sat/internet setup.
katblue

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 09:16 AM

Thank you David. I don't have to be away from people, I just don't particularly want to be in a park. I prefer the beach but open desert is ok, too. My first priority is the adventure of it all and beside that is that I really must work on the road.

Of course safety is a big factor as well. As of right now, I will be on my own with my dog.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 09:18 AM

Your biggest problem is the wide open spaces in between El Rosario and Guerrero Negro.
katblue

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 09:23 AM

I do believe I can cross that area in one day and I can go a day or two without working and be fine. Going 3 or 4 days in a row offline is not an option. I could camp overnight in one area and then during the day go to another to get online for the day (i have my own hotspot so all I need is a cell signal).

I really appreciate everyones input. Thank you.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 09:51 AM

Have you used your cell phone in Baja before? Make sure you have the right plan/service or you will have nothing but trouble.
katblue

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 09:55 AM

Yes, I have a phone and hotspot that work on 3g systems so they should be good to go. I did use them in Algodones recently.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 01:12 PM

I think that having to be online every few days and camping in Baja are quite mutually exclusive not only technically but philosophically.

Bringing all that stuff to the wilderness is, well, bringing it to the wilderness. I think you are going to have to decide whether the wilds of Starbucks are what you want. It doesn't exist down here.
katblue

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 01:43 PM

Thank you Gulliver but I've never been in a Starbucks and have no intention to start now. I live full time on the road and camping and I love the wilds of the US as well as in Mexico. I have been there before. I'm no newbie when it comes to living light, free and FREE. I live this way by choice, just like a WHOLE lot of others.

I'm sitting in a desert in Arizona right now. As long as I have a cell signal, I'm good to go.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 04:22 PM

If you plan accordingly you can camp in some great places then the next day go into a town with cell service. Most of the towns of size have cell service. As was said above the longest section without service is from El Rosario to GN. BOLA does not have cell service. Another option is to rent a satellite phone.
katblue

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 04:43 PM

Thank you TMW, that is what I will do.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 06:21 PM

Telcel, like ATT up north, provides networks in most urban areas, but they're only fast enough to do internet work in the large cities. That's been my experience. In order to get good bandwidth I connect to wifi of restaurants and hotels around towns. Telcel is fine for telephone calls but data streaming crawls.

If your trip is dependent on good connectivity you should really test them out to your satisfaction. It's very different down there than in the states. Under the best conditions connectivity and speed is sporadic. Be prepared to have different bandwidth at different times of the day.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2016 at 07:28 AM

I would recommend you stop by Satmodo in San Diego before you head down. They will rent you satellite equipment. I've heard good things about Iridium Go (just a hotspot that connects to Iridium satellites). You will most likely buy data and just use it when you need it.

I think a lot of us do remote camping... I 99% of the time am going solo and end up renting a satellite phone for emergencies...as cell service really isn't that good in most of the open areas of Baja.

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 12-5-2016 at 07:35 AM

Ligui as cell phone service now .
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2016 at 03:47 PM
Recommend Satmodo

We've rented a number of times from Satmodo - good guys. It's not especially inexpensive but we've always had reception everywhere we went.

We only used the telephone aspect so I don't know about data, text, internet or whatever else you'd need from it.

Mike is the fellow we've dealt with.

John

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.