Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Primitive Camping down the Peninsula
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2016 at 03:52 PM

Camp along the shore anywhere between Punta Cabra and Erendira. Good cell service, surfing and fishing.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-5-2016 at 07:36 PM

I was at Tecolote beach yesterday (north and east of La Paz) but did not check to see if I had cell coverage there.

I intend to check out some of the beaches on the west side of Bahia de La Paz tomorrow, some of them may have line of site reception from the city.

I am at Campestre Maranatha right now, and they have improved their WIFI since I last stayed here. Excellent coffee shop (Caf Exquisite), that has added breakfast and other items to their baked goods.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
katblue

[*] posted on 12-6-2016 at 07:56 AM

Thank you to everyone who has replied. I most appreciate it. I will check into the Sat phone. I also have the mobile version of DISH Satellite so I am going to check with them about their internet service as well.

I also have a mifi that has unlimited data that is supposed to work on the 3g system of Mexico but I haven't tried it out yet. Can't beat it for $15 a month.
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2016 at 06:46 AM

The very first time I went camping and exploring Baja, I rented a satellite phone., really over-prepared with most gadgets an urban person would. I had to use the phone a few times. I went into the deep where the few would go.

The next several times, I did NOT bring a satelite phone. As long as you keep moving/driving, you won't be out of cell phone signal for more than a day, if not 5 hours. My basis is when my wife and I drove around the peninsula in a span of 3 weeks. And yes we spent a couple of nights at Santispac, but I don't remember if there was cell signal or not. If you keep moving on, for me, cell signal won't be an issue.

Edit: one of my complaints was dropped connections. There's a signal/connection but it gets dropped before you're done wih your call or text. That might be an issue for you. But it was quite a few years ago, things might be better now.

[Edited on 12-7-2016 by edm1]

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2016 at 07:17 AM

First time visit? Don't over prepare as your world will unfold as you travel. Like others have noted most areas have Cell Towers/internet . Asuncion has service and lots of outback camping. Bahia Concepcion is very beautiful for camping but most people do internet in Mulege, I believe. Weather has been an issue lately with cold winds and nightime offshores. Old campground in Pescadero open for camping but no bathrooms, etc. On the beach. Lots of Surfers. Fun in the Sun. Come on down! Tomas

[Edited on 12-7-2016 by tiotomasbcs]
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-7-2016 at 08:10 AM

I think you might like San Roque beach...it is only 15 minutes from Bahia Asuncion so you can come in for supplies and have the worlds best shrimp tacos with us on the weekends!
San Roque is beautiful with usually only some fishermen going to and from work and there is very good cell reception...I check my email, facebook, Nomads etc on my phone from there.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 12-7-2016 at 08:50 AM

OOOOOOOOOH Shari......SIGH!

katblue

[*] posted on 12-8-2016 at 10:25 AM

Thank you to everyone. I will be heading down very soon.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 12-8-2016 at 01:36 PM

It is still a problem...even with those of us who live here.

Quote: Originally posted by edm1  

Edit: one of my complaints was dropped connections. There's a signal/connection but it gets dropped before you're done wih your call or text. That might be an issue for you. But it was quite a few years ago, things might be better now.
[Edited on 12-7-2016 by edm1]

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2016 at 07:29 AM

First time visit? Be sure to use Search to read up on previous travel posts. Lots of good books which could become your Bible. Let us know how your trip is unfolding once you start traveling. Suerte. Tomas
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-10-2016 at 09:57 AM

I returned to Tecolote beach, and I got three bars, 4G service from Telcel. The ATT Gophone plan I use does not include data, but the cell signal is good there, as well as the other more protected beaches on the bay side of the peninsula.

I got no service on the Cortez side, such at Playa Coyote, and a beach just south of there.

I drove out through Centennario, to check the beaches on the west side of Bahia La Paz, and got mixed results. On the road out to the troubled development El Mogoto (two miles toward San Juan de la Costa) I found several places that would be good campsites, and several places that got a fair signal, but they were not the same spots. I would be very careful driving a heavy rig like yours on the loose sand off road there.

Twelve to thirteen miles out, are several nice beaches to set up on, and I got a fairly strong Telcel signal, but with an E by the three bars. I tried to place a call, but got a message (in English) stating emergency calls only! I have no idea if you would be able to use your WIFI hot spot there.

On the low ground below San Juan de la costa, I got a weak signal, but without the E in front of it. I did not check anything north of there, but I like that road, and suggest that you check it out on a day trip, and report back!

By the way, a 4x4 camper with solar, and probably a commode, is not primitive camping. A medium sized senior citizen, in a small SUV, with a large sized dog is getting close to primitive though. And then I ran into those folks on bicycles running the same roads I am!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-10-2016 at 10:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

By the way, a 4x4 camper with solar, and probably a commode, is not primitive camping.

No, it's called "car camping" or "RV-ing."

I see a lot of people living out of their cars here in San Diego, we call them "homeless."

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 12-10-2016 at 12:45 PM

What? IN Paradise? Impossible....

geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2016 at 01:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

By the way, a 4x4 camper with solar, and probably a commode, is not primitive camping.

I take "primitive" as referring to the campsite, not the camper. The ideal is having the fanciest toys at the most primitive campsites.

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
katblue

[*] posted on 12-12-2016 at 01:46 PM

You guys are so funny!!

Primitive to me means NOT in a campground. I don't need hookups. My commode is a 5gal bucket. My dog is BIG. My truck is well suited to being off road and so am I.

I will post updates. First stop will be San Felipe.
Bajaboi

[*] posted on 12-16-2016 at 10:02 AM

Hi Katblue,

If you are looking for something off the beaten path, you might be interested in making your way to Puerto San Francisquito; it's about 4 hours offroading and takes you from the Pacific side to the Sea of Cortez side. The turn-off from H1 is about 30 min south of Guerrero Negro. There are plenty of spots to primative camp along the way, and while there isn't cell phone signal in the region, there is satellite wi-fi available if you decide to go all the way to the end of the road to the camping section. Just don't camp in an arroyo in case of rain; the arroyos can flood easily.

Here is a link via Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/59ctD6f61xH2
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-16-2016 at 10:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboi  
Hi Katblue,

If you are looking for something off the beaten path, you might be interested in making your way to Puerto San Francisquito; it's about 4 hours offroading and takes you from the Pacific side to the Sea of Cortez side. The turn-off from H1 is about 30 min south of Guerrero Negro. There are plenty of spots to primative camp along the way, and while there isn't cell phone signal in the region, there is satellite wi-fi available if you decide to go all the way to the end of the road to the camping section. Just don't camp in an arroyo in case of rain; the arroyos can flood easily.

Here is a link via Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/59ctD6f61xH2

Welcome to Baja Nomad!!!

I hope to meet you at Beto's someday. Thank you for joining Baja Nomad!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.