Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pulling a Utility Trailer
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 09:29 PM
Pulling a Utility Trailer

I'm buying an offroad trailer to pull in Baja this year. In Utah we are not required to license a single axle trailer, but I was wondering if there would be a problem in Baja. I don't want to encourage a traffic stop, but on the other hand, I don't want to spend the $50 per year to keep it licensed if it's not necessary.

What do you think?
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2016 at 10:15 PM

The single axle 14' trailer I was not required to register in Utah was checked for registration crossing at Mexicali. I did get plates and reg in SLC so I just showed papers, also for my ranger and truck, and I was down the road. I don't think anyone south of the border might care but the border is known to check trailers regularly.

It's funny but they didn't even look at the little 4' harbor freight trailer that was inside my 14'er. Go figure.

Andy
ChicaSierra

[*] posted on 12-5-2016 at 08:03 AM

They checked registration (CA) for our little cargo trailer at Mexicali last month.
Curious what kind of off-road trailer you found? We are looking to upgrade our little Aerotow, which has been a champ off road, but is tiny. The Cargo Craft look nice but are rather spendy:?:
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-5-2016 at 08:26 AM

We have been stopped by FEderal cops during EAster break..who wanted to check our little boat trailer registration...er..mostly wanted a mordida. The fine was 2,000 for no plate.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2016 at 08:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
We have been stopped by FEderal cops during EAster break..who wanted to check our little boat trailer registration...er..mostly wanted a mordida. The fine was 2,000 for no plate.

Do you know if the Mexican equivalent of the DMV requires plates on a boat trailer?

If they do, EVERY panguero in my parts is in violation!!

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2016 at 08:51 AM

For me, the annual fee is money well spent. The first time I towed a utility trailer south I was pulled over by municipal Police in Ensenada. The officer wanted to confiscate it because I couldn't prove I owned it. I finally dug deep enough in the glove box to find the receipt I still had for it and he decided to go find someone more profitable to harass. It's been back and forth across the border several times and never had papers checked but now has the license plate. I'd just rather not give the police any reason to pull me over if I can do something to avoid it.

[Edited on 12-5-2016 by bkbend]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2016 at 08:51 AM

Chances are you will be checked at the border. Spend the $50. Also as Shari says, the Federal Patrol on the Hwys cares, they have checked me before on both the boat and utility trailer. Local cops do not seem to enforce anything.
Aldervale
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2016 at 09:54 AM
Trailer registration

Howdy

IF you are involved in an accident or if your trailer and camping gear are stolen as ours was in a National Park in OREGON , your registration papers will be your only claim to ownership.

Besides, the state of California require registration for the privilege of driving their highways as you head south.

There is no Oregon registration for trailers under 1800 lbs. gross weight but the owner may elect to register lighter rigs.

Good luck.

Aldervale
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 12-6-2016 at 11:38 AM

When crossing the border into Mexico they will definitely check your trailer paperwork and verify the VIN on the trailer. Every time I have crossed the border in the last 6 years with a trailer they have stopped and requested paperwork. With no registration or plates they will likely not let you enter the country with the trailer.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-6-2016 at 11:50 AM

The state of California cannot require you to register a trailer if your home state does not require it. To be on the safe side, I would carry a copy of the specific Oregon DMV law that exempts trailers under 1800 lbs GVW

Quote: Originally posted by Aldervale  
Howdy

Besides, the state of California require registration for the privilege of driving their highways as you head south.

There is no Oregon registration for trailers under 1800 lbs. gross weight but the owner may elect to register lighter rigs.

Good luck.

Aldervale
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-6-2016 at 11:53 AM

$50 annually is cheap insurance to keep from getting hassled (anywhere)

Quote: Originally posted by bajarich  
I'm buying an offroad trailer to pull in Baja this year. In Utah we are not required to license a single axle trailer, but I was wondering if there would be a problem in Baja. I don't want to encourage a traffic stop, but on the other hand, I don't want to spend the $50 per year to keep it licensed if it's not necessary.

What do you think?
Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 12-6-2016 at 01:27 PM

This ain't Utah down here...get your paperwork

sold out and got out !!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.