Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Road to Tembabichi...
Con Kso

[*] posted on 1-21-2019 at 10:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

the Arroyo leading up to San Jose de la Noria is Arroyo San Juan

Is this on the route to Timbabichi. Or is it on the back door route into Agua Verde?

That arroyo is the backdoor out of Agua Verde. We rode out of AV up that road three years ago. It's steep and in some place has some loose scrabble to moto over but it wasn't particularly difficult - we lucked out and it had just been worked on. As was stated the ride, once you climb up to San Jose de la Noria is epic, old time Baja canyon riding on nice dirt roads - there is a lot of water back there. You pop out at Ciudad Corrupcion or you could take a side route to the south and I suppose hook into the road to Timbabichi - I've never done that... but I want to now.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-21-2019 at 11:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Con Kso  

That arroyo is the backdoor out of Agua Verde. We rode out of AV up that road three years ago. It's steep and in some place has some loose scrabble to moto over but it wasn't particularly difficult - we lucked out and it had just been worked on. As was stated the ride, once you climb up to San Jose de la Noria is epic, old time Baja canyon riding on nice dirt roads - there is a lot of water back there. You pop out at Ciudad Corrupcion or you could take a side route to the south and I suppose hook into the road to Timbabichi - I've never done that... but I want to now.

Thx. About a year ago we thought about taking that route.

Took two bikes and my truck up the wash to where the trail starts.

Rode the bikes up a mile or two. It was totally washed out. We went until a gate. Two large patches of rock slides. Thousands of rocks. We could have done it on the bikes, but I had the truck.

Hoping to give it another shot. Send the truck around the otherside this time.

I didn't know the canyon was so good once you got up there. Makes it even better.

[Edited on 1-22-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Con Kso

[*] posted on 1-22-2019 at 10:09 PM

Yes the gate - I remember that part of the road.

There were no rock slides when we went through - it was pretty smooth sailing. I wonder if it's been cleared out by now.

I got my info from a cool South African living here in San Diego who had just done it with his wife (she was riding a 250) - I had my doubts about the route but he encouraged me to do it - glad I did.

Good luck and ride safe - I should be down there buzzing around over Spring Break for a couple of weeks.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2019 at 07:52 PM

Just read a 2015 post about the road into Tembabichi. He noted that he had a hard time getting a F250 around a tight corner without grinding the truck against the rock wall.

I have an F350 and a Bigfoot camper 🤔. I might be turning back I guess. We are heading out on Tuesday.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2019 at 10:46 AM

Go ahead and give it a try. The road up and down the mountain can be a little nerve racking in places but once you've made the trip out and back you'll be thankful you did.Get out and walk ahead if you feel there is a problem.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2019 at 01:55 PM

You bet TMW.

I have done the road from Mulege to San Juanico over the mountain with my camper. This route has to be better than that. I will walk ahead and check the canyon out when I get to a good turnaround.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2019 at 02:16 PM

If I remember right the sharpest corner is at the top, almost a U turn. After that there are only a few places to pass so you need to keep an eye out for on coming traffic.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 01:13 PM

Made it in there in February. Majority of the road is easy but the 900m canyon is tight. Just made it with my F350 and Bigfoot camper. Main problem was the brush. I had to cut back a lot of it to get in there to Puerto Los Gatos.

The beach is spectacular! They don’t get many tourists down there for sure. Once on the beach you will meet the local “Security Guard” Manuel. He is a nice guy but he will be your breakfast, lunch and dinner guest every day if you feed him.

Lots of fishing closure areas noted on signs down there so be careful to stay out of them. I ended up getting P-nched by a local government official for cutting brush without a permit.

Nice spot.

E4647944-F818-4DD8-ADC9-3CA5F327DDD5.jpeg - 61kBFE8DC699-2707-4188-AF9B-20F4C9109463.jpeg - 64kBE990E0E0-1F77-49A9-B021-54BFDBB1D287.jpeg - 29kB6B170C59-03AE-415E-AD1E-428B5AFF51DD.jpeg - 78kB
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.