BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Bringing household goods down…?
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 06:37 AM
Bringing household goods down…?

I've searched and searched and I've found different types of general info that seems to change.

Anyone have first hand or the later info on this sort of thing?

We are building a small casita down south.

We'd like to bring some basic stuff down in the Spring ...stuffed into the back of a pickup with a camper shell on it. Stuff like some 20 year old chairs my Dad gave us, pots and pans, some books, maybe a coffee table, etc. We do not have FM3. Should we get that at this point you think? I know we can buy some of this stuff down there but would like to take some personal items with sentimental attachments to them because we like to make things complicated.

I've read about the one time import for people getting a long term Visa or whatever but everywhere I read about that, it looks like that really benefits people with large moving trucks and lots more stuff. Thinking it might be better to save that one time pass.(?)

We are just thinking about a drive down, haul some stuff and see other parts of Baja trip.

Any advice or experiences with sort of thing?

Thanks for any input and hope this is in the right section.

Beagle
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 08:02 AM

I've been doing the same thing for several trips now through San Ysidro. No problems at all. And much of it has been out in the open on a trailer. Things like new chest freezer, new mini fridge, complete patio set w/ table, tools, new generators, etc. I never declare anything and it hasn't created any problems. This trip I will bring a used range, microwave, and maybe dish washer. I just tell them it's old stuff from my house. I speak gringo spanish so I start talking about other things and have a little fun with them and they seem to not get too interested in my stuff. I just built a new garage and can't believe how much stuff is in it. And it was all hauled down in my truck over the years. Good luck.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 08:29 AM

The FM-3 is now called a Residente Temporal

When we have "stuff" to bring down other than normal monthly NOB shopping trip items, we always use Tecate. Seem to be more laid back and less rule conscious, however YMMV

[Edited on 12-18-2016 by bajaguy]
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 08:41 AM

Crossed at San Luis/ Yuma awhile ago with about the same stuff you want to bring down .No worries , they looked at our stuff and said have a great time in mexico .

As Doug/Vamonos said just a little small talk goes along way .

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 09:02 AM

A pick up truck load of stuff has never been a problem. Please do a search on my current posts from earlier this year.
I agree with bajaguy that Tecate is the best crossing option.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

torch
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 09:09 AM

all most every time i go down to baja my truck looks like the beverly hillbillys and is never a problem. the only thing i have stopped bringing down is lumber and firewood.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 09:17 AM

As Torch mentions, building materials receive more rigid scrutiny. They may save you a few bucks, but most everything imaginable is available here. Bite the bullet and avoid the hassle.
Call all household goods "USED" regardless of age.
Buen viaje.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 09:22 AM

Great advice!

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

As Torch mentions, building materials receive more rigid scrutiny. They may save you a few bucks, but most everything imaginable is available here. Bite the bullet and avoid the hassle.
Call all household goods "USED" regardless of age.
Buen viaje.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 09:22 AM

Here's some info on the Menaje De Casa.......for reading interest only.

http://rollybrook.com/menaje.htm

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 09:58 AM

Lo Siento....posted before my first cup of coffee.......the FM-3 was replaced by the Residente Temporal, the FM-2 was replaced by the residente Permanente and the FM-T was replaced by the FMM.....post has been corrected

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
First of all, the FM-3 is now called an FMM, and no matter what the "experts" say, you need one if you have no other immigration status such as the Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente.

When we have "stuff" to bring down other than normal monthly NOB shopping trip items, we always use Tecate. Seem to be more laid back and less rule conscious, however YMMV

The FMM is the new name for FM-T (Tourist Card)... are you sure that the FM-3 was replaced by it, also?
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 10:29 AM

And peel off the Trump sticker from your bumper!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 11:58 AM

Probably a good idea.....:light:

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 01:05 PM

Yeah, put a Bernie sticker on and wear a safety pin........

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  
And peel off the Trump sticker from your bumper!
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 01:36 PM

Wow Gang! This is super helpful and a relief to read.

So when ya'll cross down with a truck of assorted stuff, do you get in a certain lane or do you declare anything? Or do you go in the same lane you would if you were just going down for a weekly trip? If they ask what it is, do I just say it's used stuff going from one house to the other?

Thanks again for all the help, Nomads! Glad you are here.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 05:04 PM

Drive into the declare lane and put your best "WTF" look on your face.. The game is all-important. Don't mention import and have a low value ready to tell them if they ask. Keep it reasonable.
Also, and if you have time, put together a quick itemization so they know what's at the bottom of the pile.
Remember....these guys do this all day every day and if they think you're trying to BS them. it may go bad.
Ohh yeah..."used" is the operative word.

Another thing...be prepared to pay a bit of "on-the-spot" duty. That game hasn't been abolished, and credit cards won't be accepted.

[Edited on 12-19-2016 by DENNIS]

ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 05:14 PM

I drove into the reg. crossing and not declare because everything is used and things I was going to use or give away .

If they would of said anything about paying duty I would of just said I didn't understand and what do I need to do .
torch
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 07:58 PM

I cross southbound at SY in the regular lanes. most of the stuff I bring down is to be given away or donated and is usually a bike or two kitchen stuff chairs.... sounds like the items you want to bring down. I am all ways prepared to be inspected an has been no problem except with bringing lumber
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 08:26 PM

This is super useful info, Guys. Thank you!

To complicate this, We are driving from Texas. Would it be stupid to try to do this by crossing at Nogales and going down to hit the Guaymas Ferry? Or does that add another dimension of potential obstacles and issues?
Should we just push on to a Baja Norte entrance?

Thank you all for all the responses. Everyone has been so helpful. It's nice to know this isn't impossible.

Edit: I might have answered my own questions with some Google mapping. Looks like it will probably be the same amount of driving/travel time plus extra cost for the Ferry, etc… looks like we might as well push on the Yuma or further rather than try to take a :short cut" to Santa Rosalia...

[Edited on 12-19-2016 by Beagle]
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2016 at 05:58 AM

I wouldn't come down through Guaymas. You will get into all sorts of vehicle import stuff and have the extra expense of the ferry.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-19-2016 at 07:11 AM

Forget the ferry. Expensive and not reliable, due to winds, this time of year. You could be waiting a few days for it to cross. Abort! Abort!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.