BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cost for Perimeter Walls on 40mx 50m lot
SinkTip

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 12:36 AM
Cost for Perimeter Walls on 40mx 50m lot

I'm looking at a completely bare lot in Cerritos. I am heading back next week to do one last walk around.
The lot has a slight elevation change of around 12 feet.
40mx 50m, so about 180m of wall.
The idea is to put a wall on it and septic and park a trailer or RV.
I am wondering how much a 6 foot wall would cost and how long it would take to have a local crew build it.
Thanks,

Grant
White Rock, BC
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 08:51 AM

Check the Fido, and how much the property need to appraise for when you are done.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 09:21 AM

I paid for a 3.5M (including foundation) tall wall, with two large gate openings (no gates), $1,600.00 Pesos per Meter. Wall was built in Dec 2013. I do not remember how long it took to complete. First contractor (Swiss guy) was a scam artist....somebody else finished the project, and I had to pay again for that work:(
SinkTip

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 11:46 AM

MMc
Thanks for the reply.
What do you mean by check the Fido? I have never bought in MX before so it's new to me. What am I checking it for?
The owner tells me: "The lots are in a Mexican Corp. The taxes are current. Titles show the longitude and latitudes and have been verified by RAN (Mexican Mapping Office). There is title insurance from First American. I can point you towards a lawyer and trust officer with Scotiabank in San Jose if we get that far."
SinkTip

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 11:54 AM

Fernweh thanks for the info. That is exactly what I was looking for.
I am very capable in construction and have no hesitation in buying or renting a machine and doing site prep myself (if it works out financially).
Where I live property values are stupidly expensive and have increased 5x in the 15 years I have lived here (seriously).
Funny to think that the wall would be such a high percentage of the total property value, which I think is what MMc was getting at above.
SinkTip

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 12:04 PM

I am Canadian, so no. I just like privacy...
But if I do build a wall it will be Yuge. I build the best walls.
Seriously, when I did a Google search on "cost to build wall in Mexico" the results were dominated by that topic. Ugh.
SONG&DANCE
Banned

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 12:09 PM

Canadian? In that case just use some cardboard and duct tape. I know you guys are cheap, I mean frugal.
SinkTip

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 12:12 PM

Cardboard and duct tape won't be enough to keep a Canuck contained. It gets weak when you splash beer on it.
SONG&DANCE
Banned

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 12:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SinkTip  
Cardboard and duct tape won't be enough to keep a Canuck contained. It gets weak when you splash beer on it.

Everybody knows Canadians don't spill beer, It's too expensive.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 02:53 PM

When you buy raw property there is usually a stipulation as to how long you have to develop the property, and how much the property will be worth when you're done developing it. The Mexican government does not want gringos coming in buying property and then sitting on it, they wanted developed and they what property taxes being paid.
If you are buying from a corporation make sure that the master trust doesn't have to be completely sold before you get your individual fito.
Both of these things are pretty primary you might do some more research before you buy.

Quote: Originally posted by SinkTip  
MMc
Thanks for the reply.
What do you mean by check the Fido? I have never bought in MX before so it's new to me. What am I checking it for?
The owner tells me: "The lots are in a Mexican Corp. The taxes are current. Titles show the longitude and latitudes and have been verified by RAN (Mexican Mapping Office). There is title insurance from First American. I can point you towards a lawyer and trust officer with Scotiabank in San Jose if we get that far."

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

SinkTip

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 08:17 PM

Thanks for the info. I thought I had read enough on the subject but was really focused on finished homes until recently.

Do you have any suggested resources?
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-27-2016 at 02:07 AM

same here - wall with sufficient foundation, 3.5 meter total height, 2.4 meter above ground.
Plaster only on the inside
160 US$ per meter
100 meters total
3 months to complete

if done wrong (chances are high in Baja) the entire wall will come down during the next hurricane - that's why I had to get 100 meters of new wall (Odile had knocked down the first one)

[Edited on 12-27-2016 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
SinkTip

[*] posted on 12-27-2016 at 03:06 AM

Ouch those photos look rough. Was that red round tube a dune buggy roll bar?
What was the cause of the failure of the wall?
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2016 at 05:57 AM

One thing I discovered building our home is that perimeter walls, being free standing, need footings/rebar/amount of concrete that is equal to, or more than would be used in the walls of a house, depending on soil conditions. The cost of building a wall the size you are talking about would be nearly equal to or greater than the cost of building walls on a house.

I bet the cost of building a small casita would be nearly equal in cost to building a wall plus the cost of setting up a trailer (cost of trailer, cement slab under it, palapa over it and anything else you would build to accommodate a trailer). I'd compare the cost of building a casita and a less expensive perimeter fence out of local materials. Trailers and walls sound inexpensive to start, but in the end I know a lot of people who spend more money making a trailer work than it would have cost to build something more permanent and comfortable.

[Edited on 12-27-2016 by BigWooo]
BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2016 at 06:38 AM

Call this guy:
Izzy, 612-197-2876.
He has built walls for me and for a few clients.
He overbuilds them, he is very reasonably priced, he has a fast crew. He has built a few homes in Cerritos so knows everyone, he does not mind small projects and he speaks english.

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 07:14 AM

If you are building the wall to keep robbers out, you'll need a higher wall...with metal spikes on the top...with circular razor wire on top as well. Put an all metal sliding door for vehicle entrance that is well covered at the edges with concrete so that no one can see in and so that there is nothing to grab onto with a crow bar to pry the door open and so that a hand held battery operated metal cutting disk can't cut through the dead bolt or tongue. Also, do construction such that it would be very difficult to both gain access to or cut through your locks on the above mentioned sliding door from the inside of the property.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.