Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: DeLorme InReach Communication System
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2017 at 12:01 PM
DeLorme InReach Communication System

Some Observations from tracking an InReach system.

Their topo map is crap. Wrong names of places and roads that don't exist.

Their road map is almost useless.

The aerial map is good since it's google earth or a similar satellite map.

It can also be noted that the map on Spot is no better.

The only good map on either is the satellite view. The Spot satellite map does show the highways and major towns.

The best thing about InReach is the texting communication, that is a big plus. The tracking system is good too.

[Edited on 1-2-2017 by TMW]
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2017 at 12:27 PM

The InReach is popular with the commercial fishing fleet in Alaska. It's nice that you can tether it to your smart phone.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 1-2-2017 at 12:53 PM

I have the DeLorme
better options than SPOT, but still a lousy product
my hope is, that it gets better now that Garmin owns DeLorme

Harald Pietschmann
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2017 at 01:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
I have the DeLorme

Their user interface sucks, that's why it's nice to be able pair it with a smart phone.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2017 at 04:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
I have the DeLorme

Their user interface sucks, that's why it's nice to be able pair it with a smart phone.

3 out of 4 times the pairing fails

Harald Pietschmann
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-2-2017 at 05:21 PM

I've had a lot of trouble with the pairing also. Delorme isn't perfect but it's probably the best thing for now.
TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2017 at 06:21 PM

I ride motorbike alone most of the time on back roads. I have thought about that product... just in case. Is it worth the cost and the subscription?
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2017 at 07:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TedZark  
I ride motorbike alone most of the time on back roads. I have thought about that product... just in case. Is it worth the cost and the subscription?

Gives the wife piece of mind when I am riding in baja. That's worth a lot.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2017 at 07:32 PM

For maps you want to use MotionX. Run it on your phone or tablet. It is money.

Stand alone GPS and devices are 10 years ago.

[Edited on 1-3-2017 by JZ]
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2017 at 07:34 PM

Back in my day...
:biggrin:

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2017 at 08:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

What is so great about MotionX?

On their web site their map is not up to date.

[Edited on 1-3-2017 by TMW]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2017 at 09:17 PM

Since SPOT and DeLorme are the only two (consumer) options, they are worth their money.
But both are still lousy products.

On the good side - the SOS seems to work on both without fail.

Other than that?
Imagine an emergency.
It's night. It's raining, You are bleeding (not enough for SOS). You lost your glasses. Now imagine fiddling with the tiny keys to send a help request to a friend. Right.

These products were developed by geeks in Boston at a well lit desk. Brilliant idea. Lousy execution.

Harald Pietschmann
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-2-2017 at 09:27 PM

If you know your equipment, finding the right button isn't a problem. Waiting until there is a problem to determine where or which button to use is operator failure

My SPOT 3 does what it is designed to do, and I can find the "Help" and "911" buttons just fine

Since SPOT and DeLorme are the only two (consumer) options, they are worth their money.
But both are still lousy products.

On the good side - the SOS seems to work on both without fail.

Other than that?
Imagine an emergency.
It's night. It's raining, You are bleeding (not enough for SOS). You lost your glasses. Now imagine fiddling with the tiny keys to send a help request to a friend. Right.

These products were developed by geeks in Boston at a well lit desk. Brilliant idea. Lousy execution.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2017 at 12:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

What is so great about MotionX?

On their web site their map is not up to date.

[Edited on 1-3-2017 by TMW]

Ok, don't take good advice when you get it.

ljprusko
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2017 at 04:12 AM

Everyone has a different budget and different GPS needs. I keep a boat in Rocky Point and go off offshore 50 miles for 2-3 days at a time, ride down Baja a couple times a year on my motorbike, and do occasional shorter motorbike trips into Baja or the mainland. I've been using Delorme for the past 3 years as an emergency contact device and to keep in contact with others to let them know everything is OK. It's paired with my iPhone every time, worked perfect every time, it allows me to text back and forth with people who have US or Mexico cell phones. And what I like about it is I just put their US or Mexico phone numbers in my contacts, and it automatically figures out the country code and how to contact them. Costed about $200 up front, and my monthly plan is $13, which allows for unlimited 3 preset messages (ex: everything is OK), and ten free texts a month. If I go a little over my data plan its not that expensive either. Various plans to chose from based on your needs. And when I text someone, I have it set up to automatically give them my current GPS coordiantes or they can log onto the Delorme website and see exactly where I'm at on a map in case of an emergency. Affordable and suits all my GPS needs, have nothing but positive things to say about it.
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2017 at 05:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ljprusko  
Everyone has a different budget and different GPS needs. I keep a boat in Rocky Point and go off offshore 50 miles for 2-3 days at a time, ride down Baja a couple times a year on my motorbike, and do occasional shorter motorbike trips into Baja or the mainland. I've been using Delorme for the past 3 years as an emergency contact device and to keep in contact with others to let them know everything is OK. It's paired with my iPhone every time, worked perfect every time, it allows me to text back and forth with people who have US or Mexico cell phones. And what I like about it is I just put their US or Mexico phone numbers in my contacts, and it automatically figures out the country code and how to contact them. Costed about $200 up front, and my monthly plan is $13, which allows for unlimited 3 preset messages (ex: everything is OK), and ten free texts a month. If I go a little over my data plan its not that expensive either. Various plans to chose from based on your needs. And when I text someone, I have it set up to automatically give them my current GPS coordiantes or they can log onto the Delorme website and see exactly where I'm at on a map in case of an emergency. Affordable and suits all my GPS needs, have nothing but positive things to say about it.

Maybe the iPhone pairs better? My Droid sure has trouble. I agree with your post. I used the unlimited plan at first but now that my phone works in alot more places I switched to the cheapest plan.
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2017 at 05:26 AM

I keep wondering when there will be an updated version of the inReach as it's quite outdated? I would think that Garmin is/would be working on this as it wouldn't take much to make it a bit more "modern".
AguaDulce
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2017 at 06:38 AM

I have the In Reach. it is not instant when you text. You have to be outside and "wait" for the satellite to find you. I use it to let my family know I am OK. They like the map showing where I am. Is the SOS instant? I dont know and dont want to find out.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2017 at 10:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AguaDulce  
I have the In Reach. it is not instant when you text. You have to be outside and "wait" for the satellite to find you. I use it to let my family know I am OK. They like the map showing where I am. Is the SOS instant? I dont know and dont want to find out.

the SOS is as "instant" as your messages
depending on satellite coverage it might be up to 20 minutes delay

Harald Pietschmann
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2017 at 10:58 AM

It depends on what you mean by instant. Instant help only happens on TV not in the real world.

Any SOS signal requires someone to channel it to an emergency center or if it's automatically sent to an emergency center someone in the emergency center will need to determine who to contact to get help to you. If you are in the middle of nowhere it could be hours if not days for help to arrive.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.