Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: return trip after 10 years
redliner

[*] posted on 1-2-2017 at 02:23 PM
return trip after 10 years

hi all - been a long time since I looked in on these forums. Came to Los Barilles in 2007 for the fishing and had a great time. Was planning to return in 2009 but the tourist info here in the UK began to advise against travelling to anywhere in Baja - 'dangerous for the tourists' being the main reason given. However, the lure of how good it was before is proving too strong, so I'm finally looking to do a return trip next month, but this time to hotel-stay in Cabo San Lucas. Short trip - only 5 days. Can anybody give me a quick heads-up as to what CSL is like as a tourist destination? Anywhere you would recommend I go and see, or alternatively ensure I avoid?? If there's time, I'd like to book a 1-day fishing trip - any recommendations? (can't really come all this way and not dangle a bait, can I?? haha!)

Apologies for all the questions, but honest info on your part of the world is pretty scant over here (unless you trust Tripadvisor!) - all replies gratefully received. Thanks
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 1-2-2017 at 07:09 PM

Cabo is a full tourist town. Beautiful white sand beaches, overpriced food and booze, and an odd trinket or too. A day trip to Todos Santos might be fun.
For fishing I would book with Cabo Magic, they're active on this board, in a good people too. They also could tell you more about Cabo. http://www.cabomagicsportfishing.com/

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2017 at 08:46 PM

What MMc said and forget all the dangerous tourist stuff being put out. Have fun, be aware of your surroundings and all is well.
redliner

[*] posted on 1-3-2017 at 02:47 PM

thank you for the replies, folks

never easy doing a new location longhaul - its a ******* long way to go just to be disappointed, so we're really grateful for the info.:D

been doing some more research and feeling very good about this trip now - if its anything like as good as the one I did 10 years ago, then it will be memorable!

Fingers crossed ...
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-3-2017 at 04:07 PM

It will be.

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 1-3-2017 at 05:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
forget all the dangerous tourist stuff being put out.

Ssshhhhh... Baja is a dangerous scary place, one in which you will lose your head if you cross south, even for a day. I shake in my flip flops the whole time I'm down there, every trip.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 1-3-2017 at 09:38 PM

redliner, It will be different but most likely fun. Go and enjoy.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

redliner

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 06:22 PM

we're sorted - just got to pack the suitcases and we're on our way - lets hope the sun's shining and the fish are biting!:D
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 07:18 PM

Never take advice from a media that has never been to Baja.

Coming here is a better place to learn about Baja, from people who actually travel or live there.

Cabo is to Baja is close to what Las Vegas is to America. Loads of fun, drinking, noise, people. Nothing wrong if a big resort town is what you want. Baja ends there, so all of the rest of this magic place is before you get to Cabo. We had fun in Cabo one day, taking the boat ride out to the cape rocks (El Arco) and having a mango margarita after. Then we came back to La Paz... and saw plenty of places returning to the U.S. Now, that was a 15 day trip, so you will be much more limited to the cape region. See Santiago, Todos Santos, and La Paz if you can... as you already know Los Barriles (two Rs, but one L).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2017 at 08:14 AM

You are going to love it! Brilliant that you decided to ignore the naysayers!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
redliner

[*] posted on 1-31-2017 at 07:17 PM

well, we're here, and we're loving it :D.

Just doing the 'tourist thing', but having a great time - down in Los Cabos at the moment, moving on to Cabo San Lucas at the end of the week. Can't believe its peak season - surprisingly quieter here than expected, and that's a real bonus for us! Haven't heard another UK voice anywhere - maybe its too far a trip to make for most, but I'm glad we chose to come back.

That September return to Los Barriles is looking VERY likely now - how's it changed in the past 10 years? Fishing still good? Palmas de Cortez still the plushest hotel?
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 09:03 AM

redliner, 5 days! I don't know if you'll get the true feeling for Baja in that short of vacation. Not much time to explore and staying in a resort town ... Well it'll be just that. I think if you're able to see Todos Santos you may plan a different type of vacation next time. On the up side Cabo has anything you can imagine for the "Hi Life" have a really good time!

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 09:10 AM

redliner- where are you staying and you were never there unless you post us some pictures here! :-) :-)

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
redliner

[*] posted on 2-4-2017 at 12:04 PM

Oh, I can assure you we were there! We stayed at the Hyatt Ziva in Los Cabos, and chose to do day trips in/out of Cabo san Lucas rather than change hotels. Have to say the Hyatt was top dollar - the staff couldn't do enough for you, and always with a big smile. :D The wife liked the place too, so thats a big help when it came to giving it a yes or no to a return visit in Sept2017.

The best thing I found out was that the prices for the fishing have hardly changed since 2007, and still represent excellent value for money compared to other destinations. I've been round the Marina, brought back a load of info/prices etc, and we'll be sitting down to plan the September trip over the next week or so. Looking like it will be 5 days in Cabo san Lucas itself, with 3 days out on the water, then over to East Cape and have 5 days at Los Barriles probably doing a reprise of our 2007 trip with Van Wormer's at the Palmas de Cortez.

Still need to check out how things are on East Cape, so if there's anybody who's stayed/fished there recently, I'd be pleased to hear a review/recommendations.

here's a link to an old (and now prob incomplete) report of our 2007 trip:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/articles/overseas/billfish/

ps - how do I post up a picture?
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2017 at 03:15 PM

Can you give us a short run down on fishing prices, etc?
We usually stay at the Mar de Cortez hotel just a couple blocks off the marina in Cabo. great place and real good food.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-5-2017 at 10:33 AM

Don't go to Cabo. Don't do it.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2017 at 10:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Don't go to Cabo. Don't do it.

its true....you won't want to leave :yes:
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-5-2017 at 11:11 PM

Nope Cabo is terrible. Don't do it op. So much better to see and do.
redliner

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 05:29 PM

just got home after a most eventful visit to Cabo. Flew in on 06Sep, transferred to the Riu Palace hotel, CSL - sure I don't need to tell you guys what had happened there ....

Made new plans, rather than go home we moved to the Hyatt Ziva in Los Cabos. They were absolutely superb and saved our vacation - thank you so much guys!

As for the fishing? - my 60th birthday and I wanted to go catch a marlin, exactly ten years to the day that I first caught one over at Los Barrilles. Booked in with JC Sportfishing and never looked back - three days of excellent dorado and tuna sport, topped off with two stripers on the big day! Couldn't ask for more - great crews, great set up - thanks so much Jerry and the team.

Over here in the UK we see very, very little info on Baja, and when we do its usually just negative press. I've now done three trips, and right across the board, I have to say that £ for £ (or dollars!) Baja California Sur is by far the best value for holiday money I have found anywhere across this planet! I am already saving my $$$ for the next trip.

So from here in cold, wet and rainy England, to all in CSL, Los Cabos and anywhere else on the peninsular that your kind and welcoming people may be working so hard catering for guys like me and my family, we wish you the very best, a speedy recovery from Lydia, and we look forward to our return to your fair lands, hopefully in 2018.

Until next time .... :D
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-15-2017 at 05:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

Good to hear that it lived up to your expectations, or replaced them with new experiences! Quite a few times I have seen someone new to the forum ask questions, get a lot of responses, then we never hear from them again.

Cabo has outgrown the qualities that I like most about Baja, and that is not meant as criticism, there is a reason for the growth. It is a fantastic place, and is what a lot of folks are looking for!

Los Barriles or places even less developed are what I enjoy most.

[Edited on 9-16-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.