BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6
Author: Subject: Mama Espinoza Restaurant report!
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 09:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lobsterman  
Thanks El for the history lesson on Mama and her rise to fame from a hovel in the Baja outback. Love to read about success stories of common folk that through a lifetime of hard work are able rise to the heights she did. Through your autobiography one could also read about what a beautiful woman she was on the inside as well.

But before even knowing who Mama was or for that matter that the restaurant was named after her, I stopped there once way back in time on my many fishing trips south to fish LA or Conception Bays. From then on I was hooked and reeled in. The lobster in its many different plates there was the clincher. From then on being the wagon master on most trips south, I always tried to schedule our down and back departure times around eating at Mama's. Even on our last trip to LA Bay in May.

Guess I was lucky or my taste bubs and/or conception of Baja time is way off from some of you but I found ALL my experiences at Mama's to be memorable with some more memorable than others.

[Edited on 1-8-2017 by Lobsterman]

THANK YOU LOBSTERMAN FOR THE GREAT REVIEW. I SUSPECT SOME OF THE DEROGATORY COMMENTS COME FROM THEIR DISLIKE OF A PARTICULAR PERSON'S AFFILIATION WITH MAMA ESPINOZA'S RESTAURANT!

[Edited on 1-9-2017 by BajaNomad]
greengoes
Select Nomad

Mood: Today I slay the Red Dot.

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 09:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

I would like to know Greengoes' review of Mama's restaurant, because I doubt it would be too good, based on his two previous reviews on two Ensenada restaurants, where he recently wrote on some obscure, anti-Baja, Facebook group site.

I ate there once on my trip back from San Ignacio. It was an interesting restaurant which had a very rich history.

I found the food to be average but tasty.

"Those who stir the pot should be made to lick the spoon", ya ****** ******.

ANUNCIATE AQUI
DISPONIBLE
INFORMES LLAMA SNOWBALL - 646-115-7754
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 09:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
After a 50+ year tradition of making several stops there on our trips North as well as South, we have to stop going there for food.
I know it's a historic stop, but since the matriarch passed away last year, the restaurant took a major downhill!!!

We stopped there dozens of times, in the past, for their crab soup, which in my opinion was one of the best and iconic foods in Baja.
When we stopped for breakfast at about 8 a.m. we were the only ones in the restaurant and two huevos rancheros breakfasts took us an hour to get from the kitchen. And on top of that the eggs were served cold. The only food item served warm were the tortillas!
I returned the eggs and they warmed them up in the microwave which did heat them up, but then the yolks were hard-boiled.
We paid for the food and left disgusted.

I asked one of the locals as to what happened to the restaurant, and was told that since Mama Espinoza passed away, the restaurant was sold. They changed the iconic menu and all food items.

Therefore my recommendation for this restaurant is a no-go. Buy your gas at Baja Cactus, and perhaps spend the night there.

The local taco stands are probably better than the restaurant!!

Stuff happens. What happened to Udo can happen to anyone and it's happened to me at Malarrino's but I've gone back and the bad service/food was, to me, an anomaly.

The chef at Mama's might have been having problems. That's what I would think esp. with cold food.

Bad food/service twice a year might look bad but it's a generalization to think it's always bad.

I got lucky. Ate there a month ago and got coffee, omelets, and food was great. Waitress kept my coffee cup filled. No problems.

If I had the experience Udo had, I'd be disgusted too. PO'd. I might have spoken with the chef and who ever else was there. I would still go back.

I hope for the best at Malarrino's. I go with no expectation about food or service -- and though I only eat there twice a year, it's been consistently good for me for years.

If there's a problem, find out what it is and maybe constructive criticism will help make things better.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 10:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
After a 50+ year tradition of making several stops there on our trips North as well as South, we have to stop going there for food.
I know it's a historic stop, but since the matriarch passed away last year, the restaurant took a major downhill!!!

We stopped there dozens of times, in the past, for their crab soup, which in my opinion was one of the best and iconic foods in Baja.
When we stopped for breakfast at about 8 a.m. we were the only ones in the restaurant and two huevos rancheros breakfasts took us an hour to get from the kitchen. And on top of that the eggs were served cold. The only food item served warm were the tortillas!
I returned the eggs and they warmed them up in the microwave which did heat them up, but then the yolks were hard-boiled.
We paid for the food and left disgusted.

I asked one of the locals as to what happened to the restaurant, and was told that since Mama Espinoza passed away, the restaurant was sold. They changed the iconic menu and all food items.

Therefore my recommendation for this restaurant is a no-go. Buy your gas at Baja Cactus, and perhaps spend the night there.

The local taco stands are probably better than the restaurant!!

Stuff happens. What happened to Udo can happen to anyone and it's happened to me at Malarrino's but I've gone back and the bad service/food was, to me, an anomaly.

The chef at Mama's might have been having problems. That's what I would think esp. with cold food.

Bad food/service twice a year might look bad but it's a generalization to think it's always bad.

I got lucky. Ate there a month ago and got coffee, omelets, and food was great. Waitress kept my coffee cup filled. No problems.

If I had the experience Udo had, I'd be disgusted too. PO'd. I might have spoken with the chef and who ever else was there. I would still go back.

I hope for the best at Malarrino's. I go with no expectation about food or service -- and though I only eat there twice a year, it's been consistently good for me for years.

If there's a problem, find out what it is and maybe constructive criticism will help make things better.

LEE I AGREE WITH YOUR SIGNATURE WHOLEHEARTEDLY:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

God Bless Chesty Puller

SEMPER FI AND AMEN!

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 10:36 AM

MAMI'S CHAIR AT HER TABLE

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 11:55 AM

six pages rebutting cold eggs.....who says there's no adventure left in baja! :P
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 12:00 PM

Jajajajajaja!
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 02:11 PM

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 05:33 AM

ONE OF MY TRIPS WHILE VISITING MAMA

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 06:24 AM

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 11:02 AM

David -- what kind of feedback would you offer someone like Udo who got bad service/food and left disgusted? (Other than eat some where else.)

If it were you in his place, how would you have handled it?

I've written that I've never had a bad breakfast at Mama's but it can happen. The cook can have a bad day, etc.

I doubt you'll ever have a bad meal there -- or bad service.

I'm up for using your name and speaking with Rollie or Gerardo.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 11:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
David -- what kind of feedback would you offer someone like Udo who got bad service/food and left disgusted? (Other than eat some where else.) Give the place another chance. Who knows what was going on that day. Restaurants do have bad days.

If it were you in his place, how would you have handled it? Chalked it up to what I said above.

I've written that I've never had a bad breakfast at Mama's but it can happen. The cook can have a bad day, etc.

I doubt you'll ever have a bad meal there -- or bad service. All I eat there is bean, rice and cheese burritos toasted on the grill. Never a problem and I eat in the kitchen where I play the guitar.

I'm up for using your name and speaking with Rollie or Gerardo. You can use my name and tell them you told me you were disappointed in the food and service and that I told you I have nothing to do with the operation of the restaurant and told you to speak to Roly and Gerardo about your complaints directly. That's the way to handle the situation.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Closed
1-9-2017 at 11:58 AM
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.