BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: Mama Espinoza Restaurant report!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 01:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  
Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
We were the ONLY ones at the restaurant, and had to wait an hour for an omelette and sunny side up Huevos Rancheros. A meal that should take 5-6 minutes to prepare. And did I mention it took an hour to get the food served and it was barely warm?

I've been in restaurants here and watched the dishwasher leave the building to go to the store for things needed to fill my order. :lol:

it happens, after your buddy george from the lighthouse fled mexico the staff tried to keep it going, they would ask for money up front and would bolt across the street to the la mision market to buy your beer order! :lol:

[Edited on 1-9-2017 by BajaNomad]
Nashville Frank
Junior Nomad

Mood: Baja happy

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 01:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
I had a reason to travel to Pennsylvania several times this past year and spent time all over the state. In two places I was surprised to find a Mexican restaurant in each that had awesome furniture from Guadalajara and a well stocked bar of south of the border concoctions. Several of the dishes were run of the mill offerings standard but a few of the dishes were outright pleasingly authentic! And the big surprise was that they both were staffed with a large group of Mexicans (mostly via Texas).

I've learned during a long life in San Diego that to visit the neighborhoods of the Mexicans was to find delicious original food either in their eateries or homes (get your tamales here!). Finding such a large group of our southern friends led me to ask where they lived in this largely white rural area of Pennsylvania. Alas they lived spread out and there was no distinctive neighborhood to remind me of what we take for granted in San Diego.

The fun part was that at one time my wife and I returned to one of the restaurants with our Pennsylvania relatives...they wanted to know what to order, how to eat it, and left the re-fried beans on the plates.

You're right on there, paranewbi! Our Nashville and Atlanta (my wife's hometown, I'm from Nor Cal) neighbors and friends aren't sure about Mexican food due to the Taco Bell syndrome. But, with the popularity of Nashville Hot Chicken they've started trying the "racier" Mex food. But, for someone to leave the frijoles!!! That's outrageous! I'm addicted to them.

It reminds me when I lived in Peru for 3 years and we invited Peruvians over. We fed them a typical American meal. Meat, potatoes and gravy, veggies. They liked it all but not the gravy! It just wasn't right with them! I know Mexicans who say the same. So, I guess your relatives and my Peruvian friends are alike - not all commonplace things will translate, taste-wise. Its like me and menudo! No way man!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 01:56 PM

Since this thread is about Mama Espinozas, has anyone eaten in Kazakstan or Peoria?

Nashville Frank
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 02:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Thanks for your comments, Frank.

I was in the restaurant business, and know what it is like.

Have you read any of my other previous posts regarding their (now defunct) crab soup? Those should have sent hundreds of people to the restaurant. I have eaten there dozens of times for breakfast lunch and dinner.

This was not just a case of a bad day at the restaurant. It is a pattern after the matriarch passed away.

Udo, sir. I bow to you and your wisdom! Just looked at your bio: Exec Chef & Caterer! Wow, I was just the son of the restaurant owner (worked as short order cook/bottlewasher). You beat me by a long shot in your experience!

Also, your long relationship with Mama's makes you the expert.

Of course we all know supply and demand in the restaurant business and the stability of one's delivery system affect one's ability to readily produce an menu item. And in Baja, a quick run to the store might happen often. But, for that to occur over time and for the product not to continue to thrill says somethings rotten in Denmark. Can't you smell it?

But, of course, the place can continue to function and may someday regain its soul!

[Edited on 1-7-2017 by Nashville Frank]
Nashville Frank
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 02:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Since this thread is about Mama Espinozas, has anyone eaten in Kazakstan or Peoria?

chuckie,
No. How about we plan a group tour of our food reviewers to those two locales and we report back to the Nomads? Can you coordinate it for us?
;D
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 02:35 PM

Why? This forum is about Baja..Perhaps we should talk about that...I didn't even know we had food reviewers, must be new....AND WHY WHY in the world would anyone WANT to go to a restaurant in BAJA that 800 people have reviewed on some website?..BAJA (that's what this is about) has gazillions of lil places to explore...It seems as if most of the people coming down are like sheep needing to follow ...No Cojones....

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 02:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by greengoes  
Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

Those that know me, know I don't have a poor sense of adventure, or always like to have that heard experience, and in fact I like to go where I don't see a lot of Americans, especially the ugly Americans. complaining in a loud voices, that something is not as good as it is back in the states.

lol....you never go further south than Zona Norte

I would like to know Greengoes' review of Mama's restaurant, because I doubt it would be too good, based on his two previous reviews on two Ensenada restaurants, where he recently wrote on some obscure, anti-Baja, Facebook group site.

On Greengoes, two negative reviews on that Facebook group, he wrote recently the food tasted like "feces" and the second Ensenada, review, he didn't talk about the food, but said, when you went to the bathroom, and flushed the toilet, the pipes ran directly into the ocean! Yeah right.

Of course, I never believe a word, Greengoes says, but it brings up a good point. That you need to take reviews with a grain of salt, and pretty much throw out the worse reviews, and best reviews, and looks for the overall pattern of what the majority of reviewers are saying, to get a good idea of what kind of experience you will have.
Nashville Frank
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 03:00 PM

Why? This forum is about Baja..Perhaps we should talk about that...I didn't even know we had food reviewers, must be new....AND WHY WHY in the world would anyone WANT to go to a restaurant in BAJA that 800 people have reviewed on some website?..BAJA (that's what this is about) has gazillions of lil places to explore...It seems as if most of the people coming down are like sheep needing to follow ...No Cojones....

Well gosh, chuckie, I thought everyone who eats is a food critic! And the reference in earlier posts about food elsewhere was just to illustrate our differences in taste.

Now, I'm with you on exploration...in food...in nature...in culture...and Baja sure has some unexplored places...food...and culture. I'm heading back there in three weeks to keep exploring.

Speaking of exploration...I tried something different in Lazaro Card##as/San Quintin in July. I decided to give into my yearning for Italiano, so I went to this pizza pie place on Hwy 1, a little dive down an alley. They had pizzas from little personal size to HUGE ones, the box must have been 4 feet square. It thought, well this is crazy! What kind of place is this? Mexican made pizza??? It was delicioso! Our group of 10 loved the different styles we bought! I'm a believer now in Mexican pizza!

So let's continue to explore our beloved peninsula for those rare moments of gastronomic bliss!
Frank
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 03:01 PM

Why would anyone care about your last post?

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 04:22 PM

OT has returned. Sad. There's a place for all this childish nonsense, and it's not here.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 04:23 PM

AYe

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 05:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Food and service has been crap for years at Mama's. In fact, I don't recall ever getting a meal worth its value there.

If you want a great meal in El Rosario, head east out of town. On the south side of the road, past the old military complex, you'll find La Pasadita...unless of course there are a few tractor trailers in front. The ladies have been cooking for years now and the place just keeps growing. You will get a great meal and a very good price.

Agreed. better yet...eat in San Quintin
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 05:46 PM

ELINVESTIG8R'S PREFERRED METHOD OF EATING WHILE IN LA BAJA! DRIED COW MEAT AFTER IT WAS KILLED BY A MOUNTAIN LION IN THE SAN JUAN DE DIOS MOUNTAINS!

MAMA'S ESPINOZA'S RESTAURANT STARTED HERE MANY YEARS AGO WHEN MAMA LIVED IN THIS HUMBLE HOUSE IN RANCHO EL METATE SAN JUAN DE DIOS MOUNTAINS. THIS IS WHERE SHE COOKED FOR HER HUSBAND HERACLIO, HIRED COWHANDS AND GUESTS. SHE WAS A GREAT COOK!

THEN ON TO EL ROSARIO

THIS IS MAMA'S LAST PAIR OF PANTUFLAS SHE EVER MADE AND SHE GAVE THEM TO ME.

MAMA GETTING READY TO SING HIDALGO

CLICK HERE TO HEAR MAMA SING HIDALGO

ALL CULMINATING HERE AFTER 109 YEARS

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 08:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Isn't it about time these clowns were shown the door?

Someone left the door to OffTopic unlocked and all the vermin crawled out.
Nashville Frank
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 09:00 PM

huh?

[Edited on 1-8-2017 by Nashville Frank]
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 09:06 PM

whats wrong with you people:(
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 06:15 AM

To bad that informative posts get derailed by idiots.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 07:14 AM

Machaca....quite good in scrambled eggs....and very common....Our gourmet pizza guy never heard of it....

Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 07:38 AM

Thanks El for the history lesson on Mama and her rise to fame from a hovel in the Baja outback. Love to read about success stories of common folk that through a lifetime of hard work are able rise to the heights she did. Through your autobiography one could also read about what a beautiful woman she was on the inside as well.

But before even knowing who Mama was or for that matter that the restaurant was named after her, I stopped there once way back in time on my many fishing trips south to fish LA or Conception Bays. From then on I was hooked and reeled in. The lobster in its many different plates there was the clincher. From then on being the wagon master on most trips south, I always tried to schedule our down and back departure times around eating at Mama's. Even on our last trip to LA Bay in May.

Guess I was lucky or my taste bubs and/or conception of Baja time is way off from some of you but I found ALL my experiences at Mama's to be memorable with some more memorable than others.

[Edited on 1-8-2017 by Lobsterman]
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 09:15 AM

Machaca....quite good in scrambled eggs....and very common....Our gourmet pizza guy never heard of it....

HI CHUCKIE, MAMA'S HAS GREAT FRESH MACHACA!

Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.