boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 1-5-2017 at 04:47 PM
Baja in February

If anybody's interested in joining us:

Subject: Baja itinerary

Hola Todo,
Our plans are to leave on or around February 1. We are keeping a very close eye on the civil unrest that is occurring in Baja because of the elevation in gas prices. I have already developed a preliminary itinerary for the trip and it is as follows:
Day one: cross border at Tecate, breakfast-lunch at el Trailero near Ensenada, stop at Mission/museum San Vicente Ferrer, be in San Quintin at the Cielito Lindo by happy hour (4 PM). Camp or stay at hotel of your choice.
Day two: stops at la Lobera, Mission San Jose Velicata, el Marmol. On to Bahia de Los Angeles, camping at Daggets (hotels available).
Possibly collect clams at the estuary for a clambake.
Day three: on to Montevideo and Mission San Borja. Spend the night camping at the mission (not sure of hotel?).
Day four: on to Alejandro's near Santa Rosalillita, possibly spend one, two, or three days exploring the area (hotel in town of SR).
Next day: on to Guerrero Negro, hook up/camp with Shari Bondy. (whalemagictours.com) and set up whale watch trip for following day (hotels available).
Next day: whale watch trip near mouth of Scammons lagoon.
Next day: possibly stop at Ojo de Liebre for additional whale watch tour and then on to Bahia Asunción.
At this point I will be spending some time in BA (www.bahiaasuncion.com) to take care of my property and some other issues down there (hotels, camping & B&B's available). After approximately 7 to 10 days we again get on the road heading south:
Stop at San Francisco de la Sierra to view the cave painting and camp for the night.
Following day: drive south, stopping at the church in San Ignacio, visit the small museum there, and continue the drive to San Lucas Cove for camping, or possibly continue driving and spend the night at one of the beaches in Bahia Concepción.
Next day: continue driving south, visit the church and museum in Loreto (hotels), possibly camp the night there or continue up to the mission at San Javier and camp the night there.
Next day: take one of the two routes on to La Paz. At this point I will be committed to working as a volunteer at our clinic for the following week (February 27 through March 3, 4, or 5).
After the clinic I will most likely return north via San Juanico, then San Ignacio lagoon, Coco's corner, San Felipe, and then cross the border at Mexicali.
Please note this is a very loose plan and subject to change at the whim of the participants! Also note that some of the side trips may require 4 wheel drive. I have tried to break this trip up so that the maximum drive time any given day will be about five hours or less. You can Google any of the places that we plan to stop at along the way for more information. If anyone has more questions they can contact me via my email at: boe4fun@charter.net or cellphone: 805-975-8522, or PM me via Facebook, etc. Vaya con Dios.
I forgot to add, maybe a loop around El Triunfo, Los Barriles, La Ribera-Los Frailes, SJdelC, and Todos Santos for a two or three loop before heading north.

[Edited on 1-5-2017 by boe4fun]

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2017 at 11:41 AM

Sounds like a good way to spend a month.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-6-2017 at 02:35 PM

I know folks who have convoyed and traveled with Paul before and they all say he is a great guide and knows lots of secret spots so any of you newbies out there who want a great Baja introductory experience I urge you to join Paul for some or all of his trip!
(DISCLAIMER....Be prepared for some groaner jokes though!)

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 08:24 AM

That sounds like a wonderful itinerary. Have fun and bless you for volunteering in La Paz for so many years!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
boe4fun
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 12:42 PM

Bump Plans as well as dates have changed. U2U me if interested.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 02:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by boe4fun  
Bump Plans as well as dates have changed. U2U me if interested.

Plans changed???? Not surprised as it seemed ambitious re: schedule.....

Flexibility, as you know, is the key to longer periods of time in Baja ...and, with a group, it changes for sure.

Travel safely.....and civil unrest due to gas issues seems like spin to me....

Travel safely....hope to meet you once you are in Asuncion...:coolup:

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 02:35 PM

Hi Paul,
Great trip!
Just some notes (as you know how I am about these things, lol):

"Mission San Jose Velicata" It is Mission San Fernando de Velicatá

"Day three: on to Montevideo and Mission San Borja. Spend the night camping at the mission (not sure of hotel?)." José has a lovely set of palapas along the right, as you drive into the huge lot in front of the mission. Behind, and built into the side of the slope are flush toilets and showers.

Palapas from the roof of the mission:

The ones behind our vehicles are shown in the close-up image above.

Have a great trip... maybe we will cross paths?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 09:23 AM

If any soul has room in their vehicle, my mom has lots of stuff for my college kids and other projects, sitting in her garage that need a ride down!

:biggrin:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 01:30 PM

so what are your new dates?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
boe4fun
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 08:44 PM

Still up in the air, got to see our tax guy Feb 7th, so it'll be after that. Clinic in La Paz starts the 27th.

CampfiresAndConcierges

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 01:30 PM

If you do this again in December, I'd be in! I'll be looking for a convoy and the relaxed pace looks like a great way to travel :)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.