Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: How crazy does Baja get over Easter
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2017 at 05:45 PM
How crazy does Baja get over Easter

Around Gonzaga, BoLA, Mulege, and Loreto? What's Hwy 1 like?

I've only been in Sonora around Eastern and like 50K descend on a town of 5K.

Unfortunately, just found out our kids Spring break is the week of Easter this year instead of the normal week after.

[Edited on 1-6-2017 by JZ]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2017 at 05:55 PM

there's no shortage of remote campsites if you want to avoid the fracas.....now get ready for the drunk drivers, trash and loud music comments ;)
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2017 at 06:23 PM

i'll be doing a mostly off pavement ride over easter in spite of knowing better. mostly in BCS. we will bring the sleeping bags and expect to find full accommodations at times. i have seen quite a few garly accidents on the highways during easter week, especially on the mainland. no doubt many are driving loaded to the gils. have fun, be safe,cheers
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2017 at 06:38 PM

Yeah, think I'm gonna pass. Pretty p^ssed. Wanted to hit up Loreto.

I've spent quite a few Easters in San Carlos on the mainland. Literally 30,000 to 50,000 in the town and it takes 2hrs to go 3-4miles. Pretty crazy and fun, and we could hide out on the water when we wanted to. Just not up for it this year.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-5-2017 at 08:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Around Gonzaga, BoLA, Mulege, and Loreto? What's Hwy 1 like?

I've only been in Sonora around Eastern and like 50K descend on a town of 5K.

Unfortunately, just found out our kids Spring break is the week of Easter this year instead of the normal week after.

Can be crazy, or not. Do not try to cross border northbound on same day as every other semana Santa traveler, last year TJ was jammed! I once drove hwy 1 the Saturday of Easter weekend, and there was no traffic, maybe that's the one day everyone chooses to get plastered in place? The First and last days of seaman Santa on hwy 1 are crazy! And sometimes all the days in between too!

If your kids break is then, then suck it up and do it, the experience will be experiential.

[Edited on 1-6-2017 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2017 at 09:45 AM

It's not what it used to be. In the last ten years the Semana Santa week has gotten shorter and shorter. Families used to set up on the beaches for the whole week and the party was on. Nowadays we don't see the big crowds until Friday before Easter. There will be some that come earlier, maybe Wednesday or Thursday. But the big crowd, which is smaller every year, arrives Friday afternoon and is gone by Sunday afternoon. They still have LOTS of fun and it is great to be a part of it all. So many smiling kids and happy families.

We stay off the roads over the weekend and settle in and enjoy the show.

It seems these days that people have jobs that do not allow them to leave for the whole week. Especially in the tourist areas. And a few years ago the word was going around that people were afraid to abandon their neighborhoods for a week due to burglaries.

So I think a family could have a perfectly good time down here the week before Easter if they knew what to expect and sat tight over Easter weekend. Enjoy the party.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 1-6-2017 at 10:43 AM

This may help in planning your Easter trip down to Baja, its a link to the official school calendar (https://www.gob.mx/gobmx/articulos/calendario-escolar-2016-2...) you can see that starting on the 7th of April things get crazy because every one is on party mode for the following two weeks, so plan accordingly, stay safe and have lots of fun... We're lucky because our children start their spring break on March 17 thru April 3 and we'll be headed to Tembabichi this year...:bounce:

[Edited on 1-6-2017 by carlosg]

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 12:23 PM

Don't even think of Easter week. Santispac during holy week! Not one inch of space on the entire beach from waterline to the hill. Mexican om pa pa at full volume and more garbage than I have ever seen; they just walk around in and on it.

On the bright side; everyone was friendly and willing to share the beer.
On Good Friday all are gone. This was 1995.
Spearo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 04:28 PM

Bring ear plugs and the patience of Mother Teresa and you'll be ok. Try to do your driving early in the day because everyone will be tanked later, only a few in the morning.

I spent a couple of semana santas on Playa Escondida a few years back and it was fine. Loud, dirty but fine. My buddy and I were adopted by a couple of the viejas and they tried to feed us to death.

Were it not for the abdomen, man would easily reckon himself a god.

Friedrich Nietzsche
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 08:43 PM

Living here in Mulege there are two things I try to do.

One is to ride my bike down to Santispac on Saturday just to see the zoo. Don't get me wrong. No worse noise and behavior than I hear and see across the river from me at least once a week at the sports bar. Drunken gringos doing Karaoke to Led Zepplin gets old fast. Not as much trash though. They sure seem to be having fun (at both places). I guess. Wish they'd turn it down a skosh.

The second is to stay off of the roads on Sunday. I can't attest to blood alcohol content but these are largely families who need to be at work on Monday morning and are pushing the envelope. As the signs say, it's not a road for high speed.

[Edited on 1-10-2017 by Gulliver]
bent-rim
Nomad

Mood: Living la vida mota

[*] posted on 1-10-2017 at 11:00 AM

Easter week is a nightmare and the week after most of the stores are low or out of stuff.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2017 at 08:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
Don't even think of Easter week. Santispac during holy week! Not one inch of space on the entire beach from waterline to the hill. Mexican om pa pa at full volume and more garbage than I have ever seen; they just walk around in and on it.

On the bright side; everyone was friendly and willing to share the beer.
On Good Friday all are gone. This was 1995.

Probably out of date info. In my experience over the last 10 years from the mainland is that good Friday and the Saturday after are the worst. Starts Thursday. But Sunday it's all cleared out. That's the bad travel day.

[Edited on 1-11-2017 by JZ]
nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2017 at 03:21 PM

Do not do it unless you like lots of company!
Bajavan

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 10:14 PM

Been down to Baja plenty but never Easter week.

Planning to head down from Orange County to El requeson Holy Week. Leave Sunday 4/9 spend the night at el rosario then head down to Requeson the next day for 2 days. Plan is to start heading back north wednesday. Spend the night Wednesday at Gonzaga bay and be back home Thursday.. is it crazy to do this on Easter week? I have a 2 1/2 year old son so I am trying to avoid add major hours to an already long trip.

Thanks for any suggestions.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 10:54 PM

not enough to not go! salud
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 11:28 PM

its true...us full timers lock ourselves in the bathroom until we get the all clear to come out.
go and have a great time :coolup:
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 11:37 PM

Go to the pacific side in the middle of Baja, it's much quieter.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Bajavan

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 11:46 PM

Thanks all..What about leaving Friday the 7th and out of Concepcion by Monday the 10th?
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2017 at 07:53 AM

Extremely crazy in Loreto. I try to go somewhere else when I can during Semana Santa. All beaches full, town full, parties all night.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2017 at 07:55 AM

The Pacific side or at least our neck of the woods is really quiet.

Activities with kids would be fishing off the shore, kayaking (there are rentals), biking (some kids are creating bike trails), beach walking, and there is a lagoon boat trip that is not expensive and they take you to these amazing sand dunes which are so fun to roll down on).

The Sea Of Cortez is not THAT far that you couldn't take a day trip to swim in warmer waters.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.