BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Full gas cans into mexico?
chivatojoe
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2017 at 01:08 PM
Full gas cans into mexico?

I know in the past it was advised not to bring full gas cans into Mexico. I have always bought a empty and filled it at first stop. Some times I forgot and had a full one in the back of the pickup and no one has ever asked one way or the other. Now with the current situation I was thinking of bringing several cans full before I cross at Mexicali so I can make it to Mulege. Doesn't seem to be a problem with resupply down that way . So anyone have any first hand knowledge of being able to travel with surplus?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-6-2017 at 01:18 PM

Please tell us how it works out for you.
Just what is your plan if they turn you back with all the full cans?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ljprusko
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2017 at 01:48 PM

Although each port of entry is different, I'm sure you can't bring extra fuel into Mexico no matter where you cross. I keep a boat in Rocky Point, and fuel is expensive in Rocky Point. I cross into Mexico via the San Luis port of entry, and have 6-8 five-gallon fuel containers in the back of my truck, in order to buy fuel in San Luis, Mexico (versus Rocky Point which is expensive). As soon as I cross the border they usually see my gas containers and always pull me into secondary to make sure they're empty. They will not let you cross into Mexico via the San Luis port of entry with extra fuel.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2017 at 02:04 PM

A few yrs. ago, I would take 5 gal. for a short trip so. to avoid
Mex gas, it was buried under camping equip.
Was a guy with 25 gal of diesel turned back at TJ, had no place
to get rid of it, had to cancel the trip

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2017 at 04:09 PM

For several years now, Mexican gasoline has been superior to what is sold in California. It is pure gasoline and not diluted with corn (ethanol). Mileage will be about 10% or more, saving you money and less burning of fuel. Ethanol is not good in gasoline engines... just tolerable.

Years ago (the 70s and before), Mexican regular gas was very low in octane. The gas was called NOVA (for awhile, as NO VA translates as "Doesn't go") and required octane booster or retarding the timing to prevent pinging and dieseling (which is damaging to the engine.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2017 at 06:11 PM

Don't even think about trying it. There is little benefit, even if you succeed in breaking the law and smuggling gas into Mexico. And what a hassle it would be when they turn you back with your full gas cans.

Even Tecate, which tends to be more relaxed on the rules, always asks about my 6 gallon orange water can. It occasionally gets the sniff test, even after I tell them it is water. I've had to do some serious pleading to allow a 1 gallon can of chainsaw pre-mix.

Mexican Customs (Aduana) is increasingly serious about enforcement in recent years, per my observations.

[Edited on 1-7-2017 by Maderita]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-6-2017 at 07:10 PM

I'm wondering if anyone with those in-bed fuel tanks with the pump and nozzle are being stopped and checked.

Gasoline and diesel are about a dollar more per gallon in Mexico, as opposed to prices in AZ. Only about .50 cents more than CA gas prices.
chivatojoe
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2017 at 10:28 PM

Thanks for the views. Like I first stated I do know the rules but with the potential of no gas available it comes down to go or don't go and I'd like to get down to my house. Of course there is always the bicycle now that the roads will be clear of vehicular traffic.. Just trying to work the angles and once I make it down I'll have to have enough to get back... still have time commitments so can't do the ho hum manana thing. I have assembled 8 six gallons motocross dump cans so if I do find gas I can store up. I was just hoping that there would be some consideration for the current crisis that perhaps would allow for some logical thinking and forgo the possibility of being stranded......
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 04:57 AM

Try it. Just be prepared to give it away if they stop you. We had to give away half a 55 gal drum of race gas because they wouldn't let us go north at tj.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 06:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
I'm wondering if anyone with those in-bed fuel tanks with the pump and nozzle are being stopped and checked.
===== ===
no issue. Son has a 100 gal in the bed and I have a 30 gal. With all the inspections I have gone thru - never a question about the in bed tanks.
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 08:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

I was stopped and asked if my bed tank was full. It was and I told them so. However, I do not have a pump on mine as it is only an aux diesel tank for the truck. After explaining this I was allowed to proceed. Don't know how it would have worked out if there was a pump or if it was gasoline.

YMMV (pun intended)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 10:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Try it. Just be prepared to give it away if they stop you. We had to give away half a 55 gal drum of race gas because they wouldn't let us go north at tj.

North??? Who was "they"?

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 12:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

North??? Who was "they"?

US customs. Said we needed to get a fuel permit. It was midnight and we had to drive to az. Didn't argue much. Gave the drum to a guy on the street.
hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 06:11 PM

If you are headed through Gonzaga there was gas and diesel there yesterday per Gono Frenandez at Papas so I wouldn't sweat it.
hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 06:14 PM

Just for clarification the fuel was at the Pemex across from Rancho Grande not at Papas.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 05:52 AM

You may want to check DOT's regulations on transporting gas anywhere, not just into Mexico.
Spearo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 06:23 PM

I was hassled at San Luis last year for a full 5 gal jerry in the back of the Tacoma. My truck tank was full and I had nowhere to put it. I requested to speak with el jefe and he rolled his eyes and told me to go.

Just bring them empty and fill up at the first Pemex. No ethanol and the price difference is nothing.

Were it not for the abdomen, man would easily reckon himself a god.

Friedrich Nietzsche
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 07:52 PM

They have checked my cans more than once to see if they were full.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 08:13 PM

Knowing what the rules were, I headed for the border with a brand new gas can, intending to fill it at my first Mexico fill up.

After passing through Blyth without topping off, I realized that I wasn't going to make it to Brawley or El Centro with the gas on board. No problem, there is a place called Glamis on that route, so I got a couple of gallons there for only $6.50 per gallon!

Next time I will be traveling the open road with extra fuel on board, and dump it in my tank before I cross the border!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 08:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  
You may want to check DOT's regulations on transporting gas anywhere, not just into Mexico.

Holy potatoes at this guy, smh.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.