Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Mulege off road trip feb 4 y 5
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 08:40 AM
Mulege off road trip feb 4 y 5

A large group will be doing a 2 day trip and all are welcome to ride, motos, cars, side by sides etc. Mulege to the end of the bay via the hwy, loop thru San Sabastian Cove back to the hwy to San Isidro to Comondu, camp there and return the next day via the same route or via San Javier/Loreto/hwy to Mulege. If the Guajademi trail is doable, some may return that way. We usually drive hard for an hour, then stop and let everyone catch up, then continue. It is a good group, mostly racers of all ages and abilities.

healthdetective
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 11:02 AM

I wish : (

“The average man does not want to be free. He simply wants to be safe.” — Mencken
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 12:20 PM

I want a report! Suerte!
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 12:36 PM

Sounds like fun but a bit early for us. We're thinking to head south to LaPaz for Carnaval the end of February then take a couple weeks to wind our way north again. It's a real winter up here with lots of snow, freezing rain in the valleys and some cold temps thrown in just for a tickle. Hoping the mogas prices and social unrest are resolved for that. Some buddies just drove to Mazatlan and report no problems getting there and a lack of tourists in general the further south they got. How's the crowds in Baja Sur?

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 10:57 PM

These have been great trips in the past. Lot's of support in the case of breakdowns and see roads that you might have the ambition to do by yourself.
chivatojoe
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 12:16 AM

So Willy when you say via the Hwy I guess you mean from center of town via blacktop to the dirt road to the west ? about 32 miles on pavement? Then what is the usual fare when you say "camp " at Comondu? Places to eat and drink or BYOB and everything else?
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 07:44 AM

Health Detective - Time to get a baja bug and move to Baja :)
Elf....claro
Sweet.....usual amount of gringos on the beaches, things are normal here. Come early and play!!
G... yep, this will be the 4th annual trip, always a good time for all ages and abilities and vehicles
Joe....here is a map. There are no hotels in Comondu, maybe a bunk house with 12 cots. Bring your own food and beverage and enough to share. Usually there is cheviche, Tamales, bolanga sandwiches etc.
If you are on a bike, a car or truck, can haul your stuff. Several full time mechanics will be going. Will have a vhf radio to talk to the ranchers. The interest is huge this year, class 9, class 5, class 7, several jeeps and 4x4s, Rzrs etc.

about 40 miles of pavement, one way. Return via highway or dirt, TBD

feb2017tripsm.jpg - 109kB

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 07:57 AM

AND? I suppose there will be BEER drinking? Oh the shame of it all...

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 08:26 AM

Just to be clear....This is a family event, not an excuse to drink. There has never been much drinking on these trips, except around the campfire.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 08:28 AM

Just to be clear, I was making a joke..Your sacred cow is safe...

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 09:03 AM

btw, I like your new avatar chuckie

Prairie-Dog-Flickr-Reuse.jpg - 150kB

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 09:04 AM

:lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 09:11 AM

Aint that sweet!

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 09:44 AM

I've been thinking about aiming the KLR for Mulege late this month so I very likely will join you. I've done all those roads and being with a group would be fun. In years past the short coastal ride from San Sebastian to San Nicolas has been a favorite. Great views, especially when southbound. I'm pretty sure I would be the slowest rider but riding sweep has never bothered me. I figured out years ago that I would never be a fast rider so I just putt along and gawk at the scenery.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 09:47 AM

Shari did post about a tiny motel in Comondú, but that was a few years ago.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 10:02 AM

The word from Pag at the shop is that there may be impossible washouts on the direct over the hill route from San Isidro to Mulege (Guajademi trail). I'll try to go have a look soon.

I have no reports since this Summer's storm on the Comundu to San Javier road. Going South the usual difficult spot around Palo Chino is downhill so it will take a lot to stop us.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 10:53 AM

I drove the road from just east of San Javier. to San Jose Comandu in my Kia Sportage just after Thanksgiving. There were a few rough spots to crawl over, but the rest of the road was in pretty good shape! It was in better condition than the road from San Isidro to Mex 1.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 11:59 AM

Much relieved to hear that. The last time I was in there was several years ago on my bike and the climb past Palo Chino was one rock step up after another with loose stuff and a drop off so, since I was traveling solo, I turned back.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2017 at 07:34 AM

Kurt glad you can make it. !!! We would give you a head start, but I think you will be right up front.
I have a message to a ranch in Paso Hondo who will know the condition of the Guajademi trail and will pass it on. I did the first 10 miles or so of SJ to Comondu in the Willys in Sept. It is no problem if you have good clearance. Many friends have done the san Isidro to the hwy recently, reporting no problems. There are many options for the return trip and I am guessing motos will return via dirt, while some of the cars will return via SJ/Loreto via pavenment.
Some of the guys from the La Paz 4x4 club will be joining wit h some very tricked out jeeps and safaris, things.
Looks like there will be a wide variety of vehicles, drivers of all ages and abilities. Should be fun!!!

salttram
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2017 at 06:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  
If the Guajademi trail is doable, some may return that way.

I just tried Guajademi Canyon Dec. 27th. Above the ranches at the head of the canyon, it's a very chunky rock climb. I also tried it on my KLR last April. On my fully-loaded KLR (with hwy gearing), it was just too much of a wrestle past the Mulege/El Cerival/Guajademi sign, so I vowed to return with my Tacoma and four big low-range paws on the ground.

So this time, in the Tacoma, we got to about a mile past the turnoff west toward San Patricio. It was just my wife and I, in a lone vehicle, and the road really started deteriorating. That and the threat of rain finally made us turn around. It's certainly possible we could have gotten through, but the ranchers down in the canyon said it wasn't doable.

I could see a switchback road over the pass to the east that looked better, but we couldn't find a way to it in the time we had. Our tracks looked like the first in a long time. As they say, YMMV!

The better part of valor being discretion and all that.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.