Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Mulege off road trip feb 4 y 5
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 1-12-2017 at 05:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Given that this is a Pure trip, with no alchohol allowed...You might request permission from Reverend Airstream to have a Bottle of MEDICINAL Tequila in the stores should a venomous issue occur..jes sayin....

Is this a mormon or AA outing?

If it's a mor(m)on outing there better be at least two of 'em on the roster....... if there's only one he'll drink all your booze...

And that's from experience talking. ;)

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

missadventuring

exclamation.gif posted on 1-12-2017 at 06:19 PM

This sounds like fun and I could use the support on my first trail ride out this year. I have a new (to me) KTM 450 and it's somewhat more capable than my skill level. :!:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 1-12-2017 at 06:29 PM

One of the advantages of going on a trip like Richards...lots help with if you need it, and you always find someone of your skill level to hang with..

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2017 at 06:50 PM

AND (ahem) you can usually find some sympathetic four wheeler to haul your tent and sleeping bag.
salttram
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2017 at 07:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Given that this is a Pure trip, with no alchohol allowed...You might request permission from Reverend Airstream to have a Bottle of MEDICINAL Tequila in the stores should a venomous issue occur..jes sayin....

Is this a mormon or AA outing?

If it's a mor(m)on outing there better be at least two of 'em on the roster....... if there's only one he'll drink all your booze...

Now THAT'S FUNNY . . .

[Edited on 1-13-2017 by salttram]
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 05:07 PM

In, with the moto.

Will be asking 4-wheelers to carry my campo stuff, liquor, beer in exchange for beer and lies around the fire.

I'll go check out the 'rough ride' north to south. If I can do that it is easier S to N.

Assuming your vehicle has brakes! (J/K!)

Gulliver must be cleared as having new tubes/tires and the means to fix!:D
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 06:47 PM

I'm so stinking over prepared this time. So something else will bust probably.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 08:23 PM

Just got this from a couple of guys down from Alaska. A big BWW adventure bike and a smaller dual sport. Report is from Jan. 11th.
==============
The road was great. From the pavement on the 1 to San Isidro was 1.25 hour on the big bike. Couple of slow sections along the river for big bikes but not for the DR. Thanks for the info we rode from kurts to San Juanico and back in 8 hours.
==============
"Kurt's" means at Posada on Bahia Conception.
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 12:13 PM

I rode out to the canyon climb at Chuparossa, south end of the valley from Mulege.

The road up to the pass is totally destroyed by the floodwaters from the Sept hurricane.

I got 3/4 mile in past the vacero's palapa at the bottom on the canyon, then hiked up another 1/4 mile. There had been an attempt to regrade with a bulldozer to that point, but the effort was abandoned.

Road bed is totally destroyed. 3 to 4 foot overfalls and boulders. Goes on like that for a long way up the canyon.

Chatted with the cowboys at the bottom about the 'south" pass, over by Guajademi junction. From what I could gather, that pass is worse.

So, forget about this route as a through-alternative back to Mulege!

I'd consider an out and back to the Guajademi canyon area from La Purisima, until the climb north got impossible (sounds like large boulders and water cuts across the already destroyed roadbed. It is an impressive canyon/cactus area.

[Edited on 1-20-2017 by MulegeAL]
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 12:24 PM

Update... Folks from GN, SI, SR,Loreto, CC, La Paz, and Mulege will be going on the trip. About 30 people have confirmed. 3 pick ups or more, are willing to haul gear and booze. Besides the bunk house there is now a small Hotel in Comondu and I am trying to get contact info. The race in Lopez Mateo will not be close to us, it will down near LM where the whale festival is happening on the same dates.
There is a tienda in San Nicolas and possibly San Sabastion.
Al, that settles that! Thanks! Quick trip in the canyon is a good idea. The rams on the cliffs were pretty cool.

[Edited on 1-20-2017 by willyAirstream]
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 02:00 PM

Well, if Al can't get through then the even the goats are going the long way around. I've ridden with him and he is experienced, skilled and has a decent bike.

It might be quite a while before that one gets fixed as government finances are stopping almost all back country repair work. I've been amazed to find that there has been work done on the Mulege to San Juanico road.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 02:59 PM

Geez,
I was telling you guys in November that Guajademi was closed with last year's storm damage...

Richard is pretty plugged into the local conditions...and knows that not everybody sees Baja as a reason to drink...while seeing there are times for that.

RICHARD: here is the contact info for hotel in Comondu....they want reservations and have several rooms by the look of it as well as a nice restaurant:

Hacienda Don Mario
01(613) 131-1494
JACKYLAPAZ@HOTMAIL.COM
WWW.HACIENDADONMARIO.COM

The church annex is very rustic....so hardcore keyboard riders like Chuckie would love it :biggrin: ...no other accommodations there that I am aware of....and not sure in either village where a group could park/camp, but the majority of folks doing the trip will be Mexican, and their resourcefulness will win out.

Sorry I will miss this ride...but enjoyed the hell out of the November ride with Gary (AKgringo) and David (David03).

Don't believe everything you think....
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 03:29 PM

!!Thanks Ged!!

I think we can get 30 people in that church jajaja

Here is the FB link guys
https://www.facebook.com/Hacienda-Don-Mario-HotelMuseo-63627...

btw, The above site url is jacked, so don't book there, it is in Australia :)

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 04:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
Just got this from a couple of guys down from Alaska. A big BWW adventure bike and a smaller dual sport. Report is from Jan. 11th.
==============
The road was great. From the pavement on the 1 to San Isidro was 1.25 hour on the big bike. Couple of slow sections along the river for big bikes but not for the DR. Thanks for the info we rode from kurts to San Juanico and back in 8 hours.
==============
"Kurt's" means at Posada on Bahia Conception.

I may have met these guys heading down on December 26th over the snow and mud around Tecate. Kurt's the Black Dog guy, right?
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 06:24 PM

Yes.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 09:53 PM

email Jackeline for rooms. 55usd for a double room. They may have singles and triples, sorry, not sure of what is available

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 10:21 PM

Not that far on pavement from Comudu back up to San Juanico. Cowabunga has double cabins for 450p. Places to eat too.

Oh, yeah. I have yet to find anywhere to eat in Comundu when passing through. Maybe with a room though.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 01:48 AM

The hotel in Comondu has a restaurant.

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 07:54 AM

We might totally overwhelm them with our mob. And far from everyone is planning on staying in a hotel. If I stay near there I'll be camping.

It might be prudent to bring your own food as things can be unpredictable. When Barbara and I were poking about there last Winter we found a little tienda where were able to buy a couple of candy bars but they were out of soda and hadn't had any that week. It's a small place and not very geared to tourism.

The demographics seemed to be that of a dying place. Hardly anyone but babies and grandparents. We did see a lot of family gatherings where the adult children with their own children were home for the weekend visiting their older parents. Work is somewhere else but they are trying to stay in touch.

Sort of, "Come on. We're going to grandma's house for the weekend."
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 09:34 AM

When we stayed in Comondu in November, the three of us nearly overwhelmed the accommodation challenge....the hotel guy told us at 2:00 pm that he couldn't tell us if they had hotel room(s) available until later that afternoon (too late to wait for confirmation as La Purisma was about an hour away....and too late to gamble on room availability there)....so I pressed him a bit for "otro habitacions"...and after several conversations, he indicated that he arranged accommodations in two places (homes) beside one another for us....we agreed....and I asked for a guarantee....and he gave it with a handshake....

"Phew....problem solved" I thought...

He walked us down the street to a building beside the church....the door was falling off the hinges, there were several sleeping rooms, each with sleeping cots and blankets, a kitchen and a bathroom that hadn't seen use in a long time, no water, and an odor that never really went away even with the best ventilation we could create (floor was mopped with some horrible kerosene-smelling concoction....and the mop was in the room emanating its toxic aroma until I figured that out and moved it outside. There was a courtyard with pomegranate trees, a table and a few chairs....and cold water running from a tap that we used to fill a 5 gallon pail for our shower.....the toilet facilities were at the hotel back down the street.

Gary and Dave were valiant in there adaptation to such humble offerings....I figured it was better than sleeping in the desert w/ no bag or tent....we all sucked it up and settled in....the restaurant made us a simple meal of chicken soup w/tortillas (poor Dave was hoping for something different....:biggrin: ).

All in all, it was a great "adventure tale" to be told in depth around a campfire. The rooming fee was $200 MP each....and NO chocolates on the pillow....and no pillow.

I am not complaining at all, and kinda liked the situation.....

While I was initially disappointed that only two guys showed up for that ride despite a flurry of initial interest, a week before the ride I realized that the logistics for food and lodging were going to be a challenge for any more than 4-6 people...so was happy with our trio.

In no way am I wanting to discourage Nomads from Richard's trip, as his route is a bit easier (not going to San Juanico via Raymundo) and the group dynamic will be "more dynamic".

Pack some food and what you need to sleep in case you don't find rooms....and a roll of TP for your squat behind a cordon....and you won't need to worry about accommodations....

A ride from San Juanico to Comondu and back, or even La Purisma and back to Comondu isn't really practical in my opinion to try to solve the room issue....San Juanico has two B&B places with several rooms and a hotel with about six rooms....all which may or may not be available....However, as I said earlier, as most attending will be Baja locals, I trust their resourcefulness in solving such concerns.

Hammocks are cool, but really limit their use as not everywhere has a place to hang them....tent would be better for this trip :light:

Go prepared w/ edibles (especially for stay in Comondu) and sleeping set-up....and you will have a smug smile come night-time.

Oh.....and have some fun :coolup:

Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.