Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: 2 months in Baja
mickeykreg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 11:18 AM
2 months in Baja

I hope it's ok to place this here.
We leave on Saturday and I wanted to throw my plan out there in hopes of meeting up with other Nomader's. My karma tells me it'd be appropriate to buy some beers as a thank you for the big help this site has been in planning (especially David K). Also been using Walt Peterson book, and Baja Almanac to plan.
My Baja experience is limited to a backpack/hitchhike/bus trip I did in 2005. That report is posted here: Fretwater. In '05 I remember thinking if I ever came back to Baja it'd be with a truck and lots of time, so here's the plan.
We plan to take about two weeks to get to Los Barriles where we have a house rented for the month of Feb., then 10 days or so to get back north in March.
The trip south will hopefully include camps in the Erendira area, and Punta Baja south to P San Carlos. Back to El Rosario for gas then a few days to cross the Catavina area with a backpack trip into Misson (Impossible) Santa Maria. Nights in BdLA, San Francisquito, El Arco, Bahia Asuncion (hope to meet you Shari), and P Abreojos. Maybe look at some property for sale in the Ascunsion area too if it works out.
A few nights around Bahia Conception, the mountains around Comondu, Ligui, then pick up the pace into L. Barriles on Feb 1st.
I'd love to meet some of you, and would love any trip suggestions. We're hoping to scout out an ocean front place to buy under 150K. Ascunsion sounds good. If anybody has any info on something that maybe for sale in the next year or so let me know. I'll be sure to post the full report after the trip.

Thanks again, Mick
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 12:18 PM

Sounds great! Bahia Asuncion is a special place indeed. Shari will be a great connection for you guys.
Doug may move this to the Q&A forum, so you can get more answers. When you are on your trip or after, then please do share the report here.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 01:16 PM

Udo has aplace for sale in Asuncion that is very nice!

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 04:02 PM

I enjoyed reading your blog, thanks for the link.
Have a fun trip!

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 04:20 PM

Great plan! rarely do we hear from folks who are doing their homework slowly, just like you plan to.

Once in Asuncion, be sure to head south and visit La Bocana. You can camp out on the beach, stay in the cabañas right on the beach, or stay at our B&B with a view of the beach as well as lots of stories.

Have a wonderful adventure and you will like being in Los Barriles - so many options for activities, restaurants and really nice folk.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
1-8-2017 at 05:39 PM
mickeykreg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2017 at 05:46 PM

OK, thanks for all the tips. I'll follow up. Got my baja bound insurance today. Super excited. If any of you see my dusty ol' K5 stop by; I'll buy the first round!
3 days and counting...

Mick

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2017 at 05:58 PM

Keep a log of each day's happenings, and I hope the gasoline crisis is abated for you!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mickeykreg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2017 at 06:57 PM

I hope the gas thing calms down also. At one time 16 days to get to Barriles seemed ridiculous, now I'm glad I've got the time. Just see how things go I guess.
I'll try to post progress, but I don't have much faith in my phone's data capability.

mickeykreg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2017 at 04:11 PM
...photos added

Hola Nomads,
Thought I'd throw out an update. Sorry for the late post. Phone signal was ok, but honestly I didn't care to be messing with my phone once we crossed the border.
Lisa and I made it to Los Barriles the other day after somewhere around 1200 miles, and 16 nights on the road. We had a great trip south. Much of the original plan went out the window once we got going. The '77 ran like a new one. No problems with gas, and it was always available when we needed it. I was able to use my CC to pay for gas more often than I thought. Never got ripped off. Always felt safe. Weather sucked, but not as bad as SLC. Mostly just cooler temps than we expected. A couple nights of rain made us pass through the Catavina area way faster than we would have liked. Palapa at Daggets helped us survive a night of 50mph gusts. We met the bajadivide mountain biker crew near La Cuesta de la Ley. Bahia Conception was too much of a raucous to for us to hang around. We did stay at Playa La Perla which seemed different and chill. The lady collecting the $5 fee for the palapa was a sweetie, so Lisa bought a bracelet from her. Also stayed at a super nice place at Juncalito, where we met some people that'd driven from South America.
This was everything we look for in a camping trip and then some. Big views, stars all the way to the horizon, miles of nothing but everything, great street food in the dusty little towns, amazing beach camping!
Sorry we missed you Shari, the masonry guy working out back said you'd be home around 7 so we went south of town and camped in the dunes. You've got the most beautiful place in town!
I'll shut up and leave the rest to the photos.

Camp 1: La Jolla (out of Ensenada), barely made it before dark

Camp 2: Punta San Jose, bought fish for anniversary dinner on the coals.

...a different kind of Nomad

Camp 4: rainy night in the mysterious Boojums south of Catavina

Camp 5: before the storm at BdLA

Camp 6: Playa San Rafael - Pedro is rad as hell!

Camp 7: a cold night in the outback

Camp 8: in the dunes south of Bahia Ascunsion

Dinner in San Ignacio (something like $12 for us both)

camp 10: Playa La Perla, cool old lady, $5 palapa to escape the wind

Loreto - thought I'd post a pic of us

Camp 12 and 13: finally a layover at Punta Conejo

best sunset of the trip at P. Conejo

nights 14 and 15: a couple nights of "fancy" at the Barcelo in Cabo.

Camp 16: Los Frailes, dramatic whale breach 250m offshore

Now it's time to chill out for a month in Los Barriles and shake off the road. March 1st we'll make a slighly faster trip north. So far the return list includes the Javier and San Miguel/Jose Comondu mountain route, and route 5 through San Felipe.

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 2-6-2017 at 04:30 AM

Looks like you're having a great trip. The couple days of less than perfect weather just keeps it interesting.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2017 at 08:01 AM

What a cool idea to mix fancy and camping!

Too bad you missed Shari in Asuncion - there are some places for sale there and you will like the "feel" of it!

We have lots for sale at negotiable prices in Abreojos - it is a good location if u like surfing. The beach is very beautiful there!

La Bocana is great too but we are smaller in terms of ex-pats.

Have fun and consider going to Cabo Pulmo for snorkeling. It is incredible.

Thanks for the update - it is easy to ignore the phone / internet when in Baja!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 2-6-2017 at 08:30 AM

Oh bummer I missed you guys...oh well looks like you enjoyed your trip...I'm sure the universe will unfold as it should for you. There are some crazy cheap deals these days in Asuncion on houses...especially a couple fixer uppers for $15,000 only a block from the beach!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2017 at 10:16 AM

Love your trip report and all your pics!

I had a Blazer also back in the day; I think it was a 77'. Here is an old pic I have from a Baja trip around 1990-91.

Love the "No Shoes Nation" too!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
mickeykreg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2017 at 07:18 PM

Thanks Shari and Blanca for the tips. Lisa and I talked quite a bit about spending time looking at property on the trip south. Kinda decided that we didn't know for sure what we wanted so never got too serious about it. Not sure what happened, but some how ran out of time. Had a bunch of days where we didn't make it to camp until nearly dark.

Pacifico, thanks for posting that pic. I like seeing old iron on the road.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-6-2017 at 08:20 PM

Excellent report and photos. Thanks.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 10:16 PM

Perfect trip!

ranpar01
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2017 at 04:11 PM

I just joined today, thanks for posting - great photos! I had a brown and white K5 like that in college. wish i still had it.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2017 at 05:54 PM

Welcome Amigo, ranpar. These great trip reports are our life's blood. Hope your trip south comes soon. Mikey...come over to Pescadero if the wind gets to ya. Great day trip/overniter. I have lived in Baja for almost 20 yrs. Kinda grows on ya! Tio :coolup:
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2017 at 10:31 AM

Great trip! Very envious and I want to quit my job!
mickeykreg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2017 at 06:31 PM

Guess I'll post the good with the bad...finally had an equipment fail...

Before:

After:

The tire carrier broke clean off!

1400 miles of Baja roads finally took their toll. After the fact I find out I used a weak POS trailer spindle as a hinge. Got nobody to blame but myself for not building more beef into this thing. Guess I can't complain too much since this is the only fail so far.
Pretty lucky actually, happened right in front of the bank in Los Barriles going over a tope. I had a safety clevis that kept it from falling off in the street. Glad it didn't happen on some blind curve where there was no place to pull over. Just so happened that happy hour was going on at Vagos bar so I went there to think for a bit. Gonna be a crowded trip home with that big brute of a tire inside with us.

Alas, it's all part of the adventure right???

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.