Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: 2 months in Baja
mickeykreg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2017 at 06:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ranpar01  
I just joined today, thanks for posting - great photos! I had a brown and white K5 like that in college. wish i still had it.

Post a pic of that blazer man...would love to see it!

mickeykreg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2017 at 06:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
Welcome Amigo, ranpar. These great trip reports are our life's blood. Hope your trip south comes soon. Mikey...come over to Pescadero if the wind gets to ya. Great day trip/overniter. I have lived in Baja for almost 20 yrs. Kinda grows on ya! Tio :coolup:

Thanks for the offer, we're going to try working it in to an otherwise full schedule of being lazy! Loved that area passing through a couple weeks ago.

mickeykreg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2017 at 06:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Martyman  
Great trip! Very envious and I want to quit my job!

Sorry for being an instigator, but quit your job! How's the Mark Twain quote go???

"Cast off the lines...leave the safe harbor...catch the wind in your sail...dream...explore...discover."

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 2-18-2017 at 09:22 PM

Great report- thanks for posting!
You picked the right place to have a break down. Baja mechanics can fix anything.

And for the most part- a bad day in Baja is better than most days out of Baja.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
mickeykreg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 08:50 AM

Sorry for being lame and not posting the return trip sooner. We had a great stay at Los Barriles and really enjoyed Bill Collectors place.
Kind of out dated now, but here's a few more pics from the trip north.

street tacos north of LaPaz

First day heading back north was long. Well after dark we made it to this "not a camp, camp" in the mountains between San Jose Comondu and San Javier.

San Jose Comondu

wild baja between San Jose Comundo and San Javier

Mission at San Javier was my favorite in Baja

weird to drive on a 400 year old street

$30 cabin rental at Tres Virgens Volcano

road tacos...everyday

road side gas in Catavina Desert before leaving the highway for three days off road to Punta Canoas. Before leaving home I installed a Derale #13070 remote fuel/water separator to ease my mind in this kind of situation. The gas ended up being fine anyway.

airing down for the trip to remote Punta Canoas

another night in the desert

more backroads

finally approaching Canoas...just to see it fogged in.

flowers were going crazy

drop off to the ocean

retired old fishing panga

back to the desert and out of the fog

Baja Champions; 2500 miles of Baja and no flats

$20 palapa to escape the wind at Gonzaga Bay

the last morning in Baja at Gonzaga Bay

the loyal steed get a wash in Mexicali before the border crossing

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 10:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mickeykreg  
Quote: Originally posted by Martyman  
Great trip! Very envious and I want to quit my job!

Sorry for being an instigator, but quit your job! How's the Mark Twain quote go???

"Cast off the lines...leave the safe harbor...catch the wind in your sail...dream...explore...discover."

Very inspirational. I'm retiring next month and going travelling to Asia for a year!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 11:41 AM

Awesome!:bounce:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 12:30 PM

Wow! that was a great end of the trip report. Are you ready to come back down?

I agree that San Javier is super special. So remote and so splendid!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Chayote

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 01:28 PM

Wow this is great!!! Me and my friends talked about buying an old truck for the trip and some of the options were a K5 or a Bronco. Can you give me any pointers on things you checked or replaced on the truck before you headed out?
mickeykreg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 02:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Chayote  
Wow this is great!!! Me and my friends talked about buying an old truck for the trip and some of the options were a K5 or a Bronco. Can you give me any pointers on things you checked or replaced on the truck before you headed out?

I'm far from expert, but since I started this thread it's kind of hard to advise you on this without feeling the responsibility to go a bit further than answering your question, so please forgive me in advance for all the unsolicited advice. I work in the outdoor industry in Utah and was involved with two rescues this past week due to people being unprepared so it's fresh on my mind.
I've spent several years getting my K5 ready to go. There isn't one inch of this trucks mechanical systems that I haven't personally rebuilt or replaced to work better than when it was new, such as brake system. I understand how the systems work and what is vulnerable to failure. I carry spare parts for anything that can leave me sit on the side of the road if/when it fails and tools to fix anything.
I'm all about encouraging people to head out on a grand adventure, but I think it's slightly more fun if your prepared. It's Mexico, not the dark side of the moon, so there are parts stores and mechanics around if you need, but I wouldn't "buy an old truck to take to mexico". Take a truck you know well and can fix yourself. If you can't do that get a pretty new Toyota.
Prepare for whatever you can think of and don't sweat the rest. Either way you'll have an epic tale to tell around the table at Thanksgiving.
Again, sorry for the ear full, stay in touch, would love to hear what you do.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 03:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mickeykreg  
Quote: Originally posted by Chayote  

I'm far from expert, but since I started this thread ...
I'm all about encouraging people to head out on a grand adventure, but I think it's slightly more fun if your prepared. It's Mexico, not the dark side of the moon, so there are parts stores and mechanics around if you need, but I wouldn't "buy an old truck to take to mexico". Take a truck you know well and can fix yourself. If you can't do that get a pretty new Toyota. ...

Great advice! ;)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Chayote

[*] posted on 6-15-2017 at 10:35 AM

Thanks for the info Mickey. I have a 65 mustang with a 289 so I was leading a little more towards a bronco since I kind of know my way around a ford engine. I was thinking of just carrying spare belts, tools and other misc items. But maybe I should buy it well before the trip so I can daily it to work and slowly replace things I feel like need to be replaced.
mickeykreg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2017 at 06:03 AM

Sounds like a good plan...pretty much what I've done with my K5.
First gen bronco and a 65 mustang gotta be two of the coolest vehicles ever made.

Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2017 at 03:36 PM

Great photos!

Derale #13070 remote fuel/water separator - Great idea!

Thanks

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 6-19-2017 at 03:42 PM

MICKEY

Much thanks for a great trip report !
Meany
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2017 at 08:03 AM

Thanks for sharing your trip. What fun you both are having.:bounce:
CampfiresAndConcierges

[*] posted on 6-30-2017 at 08:25 PM

love the photos, what a great trip!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2017 at 09:13 AM

Excellent trip report with beautiful pictures, that's what Baja is all about.
orgoncoast

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 08:55 AM

Very nicely done!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.