BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: SUN. JAN. 15, 2017 Campo de Cahuenga Reenactment IS TODAY SUNDAY ! Come on out and have fun. Rightb by Universal Studios!...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-10-2017 at 10:13 AM
SUN. JAN. 15, 2017 Campo de Cahuenga Reenactment IS TODAY SUNDAY ! Come on out and have fun. Rightb by Universal Studios! Canons are fireded!

Max Kurillo, author & California mission bell expert, and I will be attending the annual historical reenactment of the 1847 capitulation agreement between Mexican forces and American forces, in Los Angeles.... 12:30-2:00 pm.

http://www.campodecahuenga.com/?event=annual-reenactment-of-...

We will be selling our books and collectible bells.

Here are some photos I took at the first one I attended, in 2013...

Pico and Fremont exchange...

Canon was fired twice and every car alarm in the several blocks went off! The crowd was too big for me to get a photo of it being shot.

Mexican uniform...

American uniform...

Max and the colonel...

Inside the museum...

General Andres Pico

Lieutenant Colonel John C. Fremont

Campo de Cahuenga adobe

One of two glass cases containing the bells on loan from Max Kurillo, my co-author

Our table

[Edited on 1-15-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Nashville Frank
Junior Nomad

Mood: Baja happy

[*] posted on 1-11-2017 at 10:22 PM

A momentous day in California history! My kin didn't arrive in the Republic of California until 74 years later (1921), but their land title carries the original Spanish land grant information. They settled in the Santa Clara valley. Not far away is Fremont Peak (Gavilan), where in 1846 John Frémont raised the American flag!

Wish I could be there! You guys have fun!

[file]34512[/file]

[Edited on 1-12-2017 by Nashville Frank]

[Edited on 1-12-2017 by Nashville Frank]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2017 at 08:02 AM

Thank you!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-12-2017 at 08:22 PM

I remember dressing up and playing soldier....I was about 8 if I recall :biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-12-2017 at 08:29 PM

Well Ged, you had to deal with trying to think of some heroic Canadian figure to dress up as!

Is there one? :o

[Edited on 1-13-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-12-2017 at 08:36 PM

Costume party!
I will come in drag as pocohantas!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2017 at 10:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Well Ged, you had to deal with trying to think of some heroic Canadian figure to dress up as!

You bet there is, eh!?:

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 09:13 AM

Good one David, I forgot about Dudley! Good thing Ged has a sense of humor, and I hear he is into saving damsels!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 11:21 AM

Since the time we Americans were little kids, we are taught that Canadians are helpful, kind, polite... and always get their man!

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 11:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Ken,
Oh, we have lots of Canadians who may be considered to be heroic....they just aren't mostly based on the military, warfare, imperialistic tendencies, and/or stealing land from others (aside from indigenous peoples....so we have a shadow on us there as well as does the USA). Here are some who have contributed to humankind:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100313063646AAmlUXd

Best Answer: This List of Canadian heroes and heroines contains people that Canadians especially admire. These heroes and heroines represent the best that Canada has offered the world.

* Alexander Graham Bell (1847-1922)
Scottish-born and American-dead, A.G. Bell lived portions of the middle of his life in Canada, which is enough for many Canadians to claim him as their own. A brilliant scientist and inventor, Bell invented and patented the telephone in the 1870s, and founded the Bell Telephone Company that still provides phone service to many Canadians today.

* Anne of Green Gables was heroine of a book by Lucy Maud Montgomery that became a part of Canadian mythology.
* Dr. Frederick Banting isolated insulin for treatment of diabetes and was awarded the 1923 Nobel Prize for medicine.
* Marilyn Bell is a long distance swimmer and the first person to swim across Lake Ontario.
* Lt.-Col. William Barker, VC, DSO, MC was a World War I ace fighter pilot who remains the most decorated war hero in Canadian history.
* Billy Bishop was a World War I ace fighter pilot who downed 72 enemy aircraft, the highest number for a British Empire pilot.
* Roberta Bondar is Canada's first woman astronaut.
* Major-General Sir Isaac Brock fell at the head of his troops while defending Canada from an American invasion during the War of 1812.
* Johnny Canuck was the personification of Canada in early political cartoons.
* Emily Carr was a painter and author who changed the way Canadians view the forest landscapes and the First Nations people of the British Columbia coast.
* Leonard Cohen is a poet, novelist, songwriter and singer of international renown.
* Vince Coleman sacrificed his own life to save others from the Halifax explosion
* Louis Cyr has been called "the strongest man in history."
* Lt-Gen. Romeo Dallaire tried to stop the Rwandan Genocide despite the apathetic opposition from his superiors, but still saved thousands of Tutsis
* Tommy Douglas, as premier of Saskatchewan, was first to introduce medicare in a Canadian political jurisdiction and defied tremendous political opposition in doing so. In November 2004, Canadians voted Tommy Douglas "The Greatest Canadian" of all time following a nationwide contest.
* Sir Sandford Fleming played a leading role in the construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway and proposed Universal Standard Time, dividing the world into 24 time zones.
* Terry Fox raised money for cancer research by running across the country on his one leg.
* Marc Garneau is Canada's first astronaut.
* Glooscap Sometimes a god, sometimes a giant, always a hero in the First Nations legends of the East. Also called Gluskab in Abenaki mythology
* Wayne Gretzky is considered by many to be the greatest ice hockey player of all time.
* Ned Hanlan was a world champion sculler and Canada's first international sports hero.
* Rick Hansen circumnavigated the world in a wheelchair to raise money for spinal cord research, promote disabled athletics and show what the disabled can do.
* Paul Henderson scored the goal in the 1972 Canada-USSR match that saved his country's honour.
* Kiviuq is a hero of many Inuit legends.
* Jeanne Mance, one of the founders of Montreal, established the first hospital in North America, the H�tel-Dieu, in 1644.
* Nellie McClung, was a novelist, essayist and political activist, who with four other women ("The Famous Five") challenged the Canadian government and won the right to be classed "persons" in 1929.
* Jos Montferrand Lumberjack and pugilist of the Outaouais region in the 19th century, his exploits were amplified by oral history.
* Poundmaker was a visionary Cree leader known as a peacemaker and defender of his people.
* Pierre-Esprit Radisson was a coureur des bois, who with des Groseilliers, reached Hudson Bay overland in 1661 and initiated the company that was to change the northwest--the Hudson's Bay Company.
* Maurice Richard was a legendary ice hockey player for the Montreal Canadiens.
* Louis Riel was a leader of the Metis people in the North-West Rebellion.
* Stan Rogers was, in the opinion of many, the greatest Canadian folksinger of all time.
* Laura Secord saved a British force during the War of 1812 by warning it of an impending attack.
* Barbara Ann Scott was the first North American to win the World Figure Skating Championships.
* Sam Steele was a legendary RCMP officer.
* David Suzuki is a scientist, broadcaster and environmental activist
* Tecumseh was a Shawnee leader who was allied with the British in the War of 1812 and joined Brock to force the surrender of Detroit, in August, 1812, an early turning point in the war that would lead to the salvation of Canada.
* Pierre Elliott Trudeau was one of the most emblematic Canadian politicians and top Canadian newsmaker in the 20th century; he was Prime Minister from 1968 to 1979 and 1980 to 1984. He took swift and firm action opposing terrorists in the October Crisis and patriated the Canadian Constitution in 1982.
* Tom Thomson was one of the most important Canadian artists of the early 20th Century; created a distinct approach to portraying rugged Canadian landscapes characteristic of the Group of Seven.

A difference in what we consider heroic I suppose is the crucible for this issue...

Now I have to go and untie another girl, I suppose... :biggrin:

Nashville Frank
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 01:48 PM

Awesome list! Oh Canada!

And we should not forget:
*Frederick Arthur Stanley, Baron Stanley of Preston, for his great cup:
The Stanley Cup! That we Predators in Nashville hope some day to lift on high!

Cheers!
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 04:32 PM

Canadians were Americans too? I was taught Canada was in North America. I was taught we won California in a war for independence. I later found out we stole it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 05:40 PM

The event this Sunday is a reenactment of the PEACEFUL treaty of capitulation between the government of Mexico's representative in Alta California and the United States of America. No more fighting in Alta California. Understand the far-off Mexico City largely ignored California and provided little in the way of protection or service, for that period. The Californios had craved independence before the 1846 war.

http://www.campodecahuenga.com/

Nashville Frank
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 11:32 PM

News Flash!
From our Washington Office.
Direct from the White House.

In a last minute, electrifying Executive Order, President Obama rectifies a land grab by his predecessor James K. Polk. President Polk forced Mexico to ceed to the United States approximately 525,000 square miles (55% of its prewar territory) in exchange for a $15 million lump sum payment, and the assumption by the U.S. Government of up to $3.25 million worth of debts owed by Mexico to U.S. citizens.

The Order requires Mexico to take possession on January 19, 2017, prior the inauguration. The areas returned to Mexico include Arizona, Utah, Nevada, California, and parts of New Mexico, Wyoming, and Colorado.

It also must return both the $15 million and the $3.25 million at an interest rate of .01% compounded annually since 1848. The repayment period will be 100 years.

The Gadsden purchase (a small sliver of lower Arizona and New Mexico) will remain a part of the USA, as it was legally carried out. Texas and parts of Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico are not included because they were not part of this Treaty of Hidalgo land grab.

President Obama stated: "We have made right a long-standing wrong and given back this area and its people to its true ROOTS!"

Mr. Trump was overherd saying: "I salute President Obama's decision and am saddened to lose these states."
However, later that night, during a Trump Tower celebration, people could hear shouts of: "Adios "Left Coast"!" "Clear sailing for 2020!", screamed from every floor.

------------------
Ah, what a story that would be! California annexed to Mexico! :coolup:

[Edited on 1-14-2017 by Nashville Frank]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 12:44 AM

Max Kurillo's NEW BIG BOOK on the El Camino Real is fresh from the printers!

[Edited on 1-16-2017 by David K]

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 05:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The event this Sunday is a reenactment of the PEACEFUL treaty of capitulation between the government of Mexico's representative in Alta California and the United States of America. No more fighting in Alta California. ....

David,
I hope your event went well and the weather was good...

Just a minor point of clarification, however:

Capilulate:

ca·pit·u·late
kəˈpiCHəˌlāt/
verb

cease to resist an opponent or an unwelcome demand; surrender.
"the patriots had to capitulate to the enemy forces"
synonyms: surrender, give in/up, yield, concede defeat, give up the struggle, submit, knuckle under; lay down one's arms, raise/show the white flag, throw in the towel
"the rebels had been forced to capitulate"

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 06:41 PM

Hi Ged, that is the wording they used to describe the treaty.

It was cloudy and cold, no wind, however. A very light turnout compared to last year and no canon fire. Max and I each sold some of our new books and a couple other Baja books we had a some of Max's bell collectibles, too.

A big thank you to Nomad 'Agua Dulce' (Mark) for coming out and introducing himself. It was very nice to meet you!

Here is our part of the table, featuring Max's two new books (on the left), then my book, and some of the Baja books we have stock of still at M&E BOOKS. Behind are the collectible bells made by Mrs. Forbes up to 100 years ago...

After the event, Max made a bell donation to the Campo de Cahuenga museum folks...

Max is in the blue jacket.

Nashville Frank
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 07:46 PM

David,
Glad it went pretty well and you didn't get rained out!

Your pics take me back to the late 50's and early 60's when I made drawings of mission life and our school would pile us into buses for trips to Mission San Juan Buatista. I loved those days! They brought the old west to life! This mission is still my favorite.

I look forward to picking up your book in El Rosario in two weeks and learning more about Baja Missions.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 08:28 PM

Great! I am also easy to reach anytime a Nomad wants to chat about Baja and the colorful history of Old California, the land we call Baja today.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 08:53 PM

Show us your costume!

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Hi Ged, that is the wording they used to describe the treaty.

It was cloudy and cold, no wind, however. A very light turnout compared to last year and no canon fire. Max and I each sold some of our new books and a couple other Baja books we had a some of Max's bell collectibles, too.

A big thank you to Nomad 'Agua Dulce' (Mark) for coming out and introducing himself. It was very nice to meet you!

Here is our part of the table, featuring Max's two new books (on the left), then my book, and some of the Baja books we have stock of still at M&E BOOKS. Behind are the collectible bells made by Mrs. Forbes up to 100 years ago...

After the event, Max made a bell donation to the Campo de Cahuenga museum folks...

Max is in the blue jacket.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.