BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Poll: Has the motor fuel supply problem changed your travel plans
Yes, I am delaying my trip until i hear peace returns fuel is available --- 9 (23.08%)
No, damn the torpedoes, full speed agead, i got no worries --- 26 (66.67%)
No, i am a homebody right now and got no reason to travel --- 4 (10.26%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Has the motor fuel supply problem changed your travel plans
nbentley1
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2017 at 04:07 PM

Will be heading to Bahia Conception on Feb 11th and then hitting San Ignacio for our annual whale trip on the way back. As long as we can get fuel in SQ, GN and Mulege we should be fine, any info is appreciated. Hopefully the SQ road blocks will have cleared as well.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2017 at 07:52 PM

We're flying in to Los Cabos next week and renting a car to drive up to Todos Santos. Our understanding is that the tank will be full when we pick it up, and the arrangement (with Dominic's) is to bring it back empty, so as long as we don't go on any road trips in the week we're there, we should have no problems.

Have there been any fuel shortages at airports in Mexico? It would be a shame (NOT!) to be stranded in Baja.

:cool:

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
brucedog
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 08:41 AM

I have heard that there are no issues in Cabo getting fuel. I dropped my wife at the airport on Saturday and both stations by the airport were open. I also just read in the Ventana View that a person arrived in La Ventana two days ago from California and had no issues at all
SomebodyElse

[*] posted on 1-14-2017 at 09:13 AM

Our plan was to drive to San Felipe this week and continue south from there, but news of no diesel caused us to re-think.

We will watch the news and head south on Tuesday if it looks positive. If not, there's lots to do just north of the border and it is warmer than Canada.

At least California provided us with a good leak test of the camper this week.

Peter
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2017 at 06:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
We're flying in to Los Cabos next week and renting a car to drive up to Todos Santos. Our understanding is that the tank will be full when we pick it up, and the arrangement (with Dominic's) is to bring it back empty, so as long as we don't go on any road trips in the week we're there, we should have no problems.

Have there been any fuel shortages at airports in Mexico? It would be a shame (NOT!) to be stranded in Baja.

:cool:

No problems at the airport today. Hundreds of full size SUVs and vans picking up at the airport...my ride couldn't find a place to park between 11 and noon. Same with many others, so they were circling and circling to pick up the arrivals from at least 7 planes.

PEMEX at the airport turn off had two tankers parked on the lot. Lots of people on the highway. No gas shortages in the East Cape today but the gas price increase is a hardship for locals.

[Edited on 1-15-2017 by windgrrl]

[Edited on 1-15-2017 by windgrrl]

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2017 at 06:45 PM

This statement by Mexico's energy secretary may affect my travel plans with a fuel hungry diesel RV.

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/gasoline-supplies-at-crisis-...
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 08:24 AM

[rquote]=1064557&tid=85459&author=windgrrl
--- the gas price increase is a hardship for locals. [/rquote]

That is the base of the problem...... slave wages. Blame the government for that too.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 08:58 AM

I was trying to cross southbound at San Ysidro around 2 pm yesterday. Traffic was backed-up to the San Ysidro Avenue exit (the second to last exit before the border. It hardly appeared to be moving. I suspect that it may have been a wait measured in hours.

I made a U-turn and crossed at Otay Mesa instead. There was only about a 15 minute wait there. Much better.

Going down to Ensenada, I saw no issues suggesting there was any fuel shortage, or any related issues, at all.

Two weeks ago, on Dec 31st, I saw long lines at some Pemex stations in Tijuana. I guess people were filling up before the price-hike.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 11:49 AM

Difficult to understand why Mexico would allow an industry which they owned and operated, and essential to get so bad

However they did .... An now Mexico will be importing, most likely from the United States (think wall) finished product: gas, diesel
and propane, cuz, it comes from the process of refining OIL/Crude

The second ... Mexico will allow others NOT Mexican build "refineries" and then sell under a "brand®" of their own choosing ... "Baja Rub" .. you get the idea

IN the long term, perhaps Mexico can get back into the business of producing energy for their Nation .... Until then, of course the Mexican people will pay for it ... as costs are passed onto the consumer .. basic business ... however, not sure about Mexico ... Still like the beaches and ocean ... don't fish anymore ... but can still enjoy a sunrise and/or sunset ;)

No wonder so many try and come here .... IF your own government does this to ya .... I'd be leaving too ... to stand in line .... like many do ... very sad

[Edited on 1-15-2017 by wessongroup]

[Edited on 1-16-2017 by wessongroup]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 06:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  

.... An now Mexico will be importing, most likely from the United States (think wall) finished product: gas, diesel
and propane, cuz, it comes process of in refinery of OIL/Crude

]
I'm thinkin' Baja, and other points north in Mexico have been getting gas and fuel from the states for some time now. Nothing new.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 10:07 AM

Between the fuel issues (and my diesel is a horrible pig) and this ridiculous wall plan, I'm starting to get concerned about our planned trip in mid March. Keep the info flowing folks (even if the fuel isn't).

[Edited on 1-27-2017 by DeMinimis]

You gonna eat that?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 10:30 AM

The wall is already up along hundreds of miles of the border... the media is playing us... this is to finish what was authorized a dozen years ago and unfunded the past 8 years. Have you not seen the wall in California?

The fuel problem happened after Jan. 4 and lasted about 10 days. I think they will be better prepared for the chaos planned for Feb.?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Cardonal
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 04:08 PM

Goat-friend,

Thanks for asking.. I won't be traveling until April, but friends going down earlier in January turned around in San Quintin and are considering not returning.

There is an impact on us, certainly, but the impact on Mexican workers and families of an increase in gas cost on top of a decline in the value of their pesos is substantial.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.