Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: baja 4000
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by tecatero  
I am all for the adventure this race offers, but we were passed by 15-20 of these bozos on the road yesterday. They have no clue on Baja road etiquette , they think because they see you, you see them. Nearly got clipped by some hipsters in a new 4Runner. Saw them at the gas station, with a bunch more hipsters, these guys were Euro hipsters. I said, you better learn to signal when passing and to make sure people ( I.e, locals) see you or your gonna kill someone or yourself. They giggled. Be I retesting to see the stats once it's done

What's worse, baja 4000 rally-driving hipsters, baja 1000 race team/fan knuckle draggers, or semana santa road trippers?
:lol:

The challenge these days is to find the time between all these events that allows some Baja signature solitude and peace. I'm not interested in packs of racers nor huge crowds at the beaches.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 12:50 PM

Off road activity is out of control....Little organization, even less respect for landowners and the public...I wonder if there is fiscal ownership re: Insurance or Bonding....And .....Are any of these events authorized by any legal body? And Trash....trash- trash

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 01:00 PM

I'm hearing some fairly fast moving stuff headed South out of Mulege right now. Hard to say whether they are entrants or possible support vehicles.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 01:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
I'm hearing some fairly fast moving stuff headed South out of Mulege right now. Hard to say whether they are entrants or possible support vehicles.

there are no support vehicles, no helicopters, no ambulances, everyone is on there own.
for christ sake's people, this is a amateur rally designed as a charity to help abandoned and orphaned children of baja!
they have a website, how about learning about it rather than fothermucking it!:light:
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Off road activity is out of control....Little organization, even less respect for landowners and the public...I wonder if there is fiscal ownership re: Insurance or Bonding....And .....Are any of these events authorized by any legal body? And Trash....trash- trash

in this rally you can be awarded points for PICKING UP TRASH and cleaning up wilderness areas. its for charity!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 01:53 PM

Thank you for your input, Willard!

bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 02:45 PM

Gulliver - is there some way to know or confirm if the fast moving stuff is actually part of the rally? Because if it is and there are no support vehicles, then it would seem some of the participants are a day ahead of their posted schedule, no?
BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 03:13 PM

Looks like an eclectic mix of participants.

http://www.bamakoadventures.com/en/teams/

After seeing some of the people's attire, I couldn't help but think of this movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2GEKV1dOgY
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 04:15 PM

It is good to know per Willard that the group who almost wrecked Tecatero and the group blasting through Mulege a day ahead of schedule are not connected to the rally...Likely just kids having fun....My comment was/is somewhat generic....I stand by it...

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 06:25 PM

i live about 200 meters from Rt. 1 and maybe a kM. South of town.

Normally curiosity would impel me to go and have a look but I am in the grip of some dreadful pestilence. I believe when horses get it they are put down forthwith to minimize suffering. Referred to by vets as THE SNOTS! And no orifice to be trusted.

Barbara refuses me relief from this mortal coil on some spurious excuse based on taking care of her her dotage. I caught it from her!

I am reading The Mask of the Red Death by Poe for solace. I'm approaching the last line. "And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all."

The only half way decent data I can offer is that I can recognize a VW engine with an open exhaust at a great distance. About one every half hour all afternoon. Perhaps it is just random stuff. It's died down now.

[Edited on 1-16-2017 by Gulliver]
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 07:43 PM

Thanks Gulliver - hope you'll be feeling better soon - sounds like you've got a nasty bug.

Just trying to get a handle on when the vehicles will be coming by here.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 07:53 PM

Maybe I'm hearing the garbage trucks. I think a garbage collection rig based on a buggy might be cute.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 08:51 PM

Maybe I'm hearing the garbage trucks.

What comes with age, grayness, baldness, saggy/blotchy skin and crazy nose hairs is hearing loss.
To your aged (ancient) ears, everything sounds like garbage trucks. Removing the wax does not help.

Sad!
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2017 at 06:15 AM

Everything sounds like garbage, period.

Took me a while to trust my judgement and turn off horrors like rap.

Post war music started out bad with the Sha Boom, Sha Boom stuff and now is ending bad.

Grump.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-16-2017 at 08:28 AM

Everything sounds like garbage, period.

Took me a while to trust my judgement and turn off horrors like rap.

Post war music started out bad with the Sha Boom, Sha Boom stuff and now is ending bad.

Grump.

What war are you talking about?

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2017 at 02:41 PM

I forget. Maybe it was the Harding administration. They all start to blur together after a while.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2017 at 03:49 PM

I just had a tooth out...10 more minutes, packing comes out, shot(s) wisky, 6 Prozac and I'll be on the same plain as you...:P

pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2017 at 03:17 PM

Seems more like a gumball type rally?
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 1-22-2017 at 05:31 PM

they started hitting the finish line at the petersen auto museum a few hours ago, looks like a good time was had by all, and a good cause!
maybe next year! :coolup:
cliffh
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2017 at 09:48 AM

Just returned from week at Conejo, great weather. Wife only saw 4 or 5 cars , must have taken Highway to San juanico. Great week !!
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.