Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: CHORIZO
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 06:20 PM
CHORIZO

Chorizo is a Chile and garlic flavored sausage, much beloved by Mexicans and we of the American Southwest. It was originally derived from the Spanish sausage of the same name, but has evolved over the last few centuries to be distinctly Mexican.

In Mexico, Chorizo is commonly made of pork, but also of young goat, javalina, venison, occasionally beef, or where meat is scarce, just about anything available.

Many of us think the finest chorizo is made in the Mexican state of Sonora, and this recipe hails from there. It is a fresh sausage, so if you make it with pork, cook it thoroughly. It is highly flavored, so a little goes a long way. It is convenient if it is wrapped and frozen in small packages.

Chorizo is great for breakfast. Thaw out a package, fry it up lightly while breaking it up, and when fried, scramble in a few eggs. This is wonderful by itself, or with tortillas.

Instead of the eggs, you can add a cup or so of Mexican beans to the fried Chorizo. Mash them well while they fry, and you have "Frijoles Refritos con Chorizo", excellent when eaten like grits or potatoes, and also excellent as a taco, burrito or sandwich filling. Chorizo is also good to flavor up a red chile sauce, a stew, or anything else that could use a bit of good Mexican bite.

To Begin Chorizo: In a large bowl place:

2 Lb. ground pork.
3 1/2 tsp. salt
6 Tbl. pure ground red chile
6-20 small hot dried red chiles; tepine, Thai dragon, pico de gallo or the like, crushed
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbl. dry leaf oregano
2 tsp. whole cumin seed, crushed
1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
4 Tbl. good cider or wine vinegar
2 1/2 Tbl. water

Have everything cool. Break up the meat, sprinkle evenly with the rest of the ingredients, cut in with two forks until evenly mixed, then knead a bit with your hands until well mixed. At this point the chorizo will keep for at least a couple weeks in your refrigerator, or let it season for a couple days in your refrigerator, then wrap it in small packages, (3-4 oz. is about right for two people), and it will freeze fine for months. It can also be stuffed into casings and smoked like any other pork sausage.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajaloco
Nomad

Mood: wishin I was fishin

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 06:55 PM

Thanks for the recipe Bruce...I definately will try it. Chorizo is one of my vices along with good carnitas. A good Mexican amigo once said that the only part of the pig you can't eat is the oink...

Carry an Organ Donor card. You could save someone\'s life... http://www.organdonor.gov
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 07:00 PM

bajaloco sounds lick we have the same taste in food. probably a good Idea for us to Carry the organ Donner cards. I make all kinds of sausage all the time. I have many recipe's.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Cyndarouh
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 07:10 PM

Thank you Bruce. I think I will try using some of the venison I have in the freezer and mix a bit of pork in also. Yumm Sounds good to me.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 07:14 PM

I've read the ingredients for Mexican chorizo on many packages and always noticed that the two primary ingredients are lymph nodes and salivary glands.

Spanish chorizo is a hard sausage, fully cooked and eaten like salami but spicier.

I've never seen Mexican chorizo in Spain not Spanish chorizo in Mexico.

On another interisting aside, in Spain a tortilla is an omlette, usually baked and with added ingredients of potatoes and sausage. Yum.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 07:51 PM

you are right about the ingredients and dirty hands to that is why I make my Owen.

the Mexican is a fresh sausage and the Spanish is a dried cured sausage. they are like apples and oranges . the Mexican evolved from the Spanish.vary few Mexican food include things that take a lot of time to prepare they cant stand to Waite for diner. in this case they cut the time frome about 3 months to overnight.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 09:36 PM
chorizo

Mike

You can get spanish chorizo in mexico, the brand is campestri available in La Paz Sorianas, You buy it in the package just cut it and eat like pastrami.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 10:05 PM

Thanks Comitan.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 07:50 PM
I love real chorizo, too......

......but have any of you tried the soy chorizos they are selling in Mexico or the one marketed by Trader Joe's up here.

Surprisingly good, and never a chewy knuckle or lymph node or whatever those are. Also freezes well.

One brand in Mexico is packaged in a series of sealed "links", each one the perfect amount for two people with eggs.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 08:05 PM

Soyrizo

The wife made a chili/bean dish with the stuff from TJ's last Monday for a party that had some non meat eaters attending. She gave me a taste and it was good. I was surprised when she told me it was soy product.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.