Author: Subject: Mammoth Mountain Cam
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 02:59 PM
Mammoth Mountain Cam

Mammoth Mountain Elevation: 11,053'
Sign post: ~25' tall
Google Maps

The first photo is from today, then going back in time.

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 03:11 PM

WOW!!! Any idea the height of the cam? I hear more storms are coming next week!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 05:14 PM

Explain the very first pic to me. What am I looking at.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 05:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Explain the very first pic to me. What am I looking at.

Snow! Covering the camera that took the rest of the photos.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 05:46 PM

That's 269 inches (over 22 feet) of snow at the summit, according to their snow report. Good news. Bad news is, lift tickets are $149 a day. :o Skiing used to be inexpensive and fun, but with the jacked up lift ticket and lodging prices and the huge crowds, it's lost its allure for me. Anyone with a family is looking at at least a grand a day for a ski vacation, most of which is spent walking to and from the car/condo/lodge, loading and unloading all of your stuff, standing in endless lines for lifts and food, and trying not to get crashed into by out of control kooks skiing or boarding way above their abilities. But if I win the lottery . . . .

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 05:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
WOW!!! Any idea the height of the cam? I hear more storms are coming next week!

I think it's at the top of the second floor (tall floors), so maybe 20'

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 06:37 PM

All that snow, and a Sherpa to snow-boot.

http://pizzamanagement.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/ptz-1....

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 06:52 PM

Mammoth is a beautiful place winter or summer. Last time I skied there was 1992. My wife's office would rent a condo every Feb. that all of the employees and their family could stay for a week. Messed up my knee on the last run of the 3rd day. Tumbled on an ice patch and the binding didn't release. Never skied again. Used to go to the Motocross races in June, fun times. Last time there was Sept. 2011 Motel Six was $65.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 07:05 PM

I tended bar at the MM Inn around '62 or 3. Fun place to work.
Got sick and tired of it one day....walked out, got in my car, and went to Mazatlan for six months.
Better fun.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 07:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DanO  
That's 269 inches (over 22 feet) of snow at the summit, according to their snow report. Good news. Bad news is, lift tickets are $149 a day. :o Skiing used to be inexpensive and fun, but with the jacked up lift ticket and lodging prices and the huge crowds, it's lost its allure for me. Anyone with a family is looking at at least a grand a day for a ski vacation, most of which is spent walking to and from the car/condo/lodge, loading and unloading all of your stuff, standing in endless lines for lifts and food, and trying not to get crashed into by out of control kooks skiing or boarding way above their abilities. But if I win the lottery . . . .

It's gone up a good bit lately, but it's a good bit cheaper than that if you plan just a little in advance.

We go to Mammoth 2-3 times a year and one other big out of state trip.

rogbag
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 07:39 AM

I'll bet Dave McCoy (if he is still with us) is real happy with that snow pack. As are lots of LA folks. They can have that cold stuff. It is 62 degrees this morning and that is chilly enough for me.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 08:11 AM

McCoy was running the place when I was there. He's gotta be around a thousand years old if he's still on the right side of the dirt.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 09:34 AM

jz what an amazing dog! whoaaaaa

those cam photos are amazing. I have never been to MM and will never go as snow does not move me since I don't ski.

thanks for showing us a snapshot of another type of vacation.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 09:55 AM

I had to ski for work and it was free. After I left that job I started Nordic skiing and snowshoing....free, fun and no crowds

Quote: Originally posted by DanO  
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 09:59 AM

Stay off of 395 from now till June. The traffic between LA and Mammoth sucks. They drive like they ski. Makes Mexican drivers look sane

Quote: Originally posted by rogbag  
I'll bet Dave McCoy (if he is still with us) is real happy with that snow pack. As are lots of LA folks. They can have that cold stuff. It is 62 degrees this morning and that is chilly enough for me.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 10:02 AM

I did five years at Alpine Meadows CA, and eighteen years on the ski patrol in Alaska. Best job I ever starved at!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 10:09 AM

Looks like they dug out the cam a wee bit:

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Stay off of 395 from now till June. The traffic between LA and Mammoth sucks. They drive like they ski. Makes Mexican drivers look sane

This is complete and utter bullchit. I've driven up to Mammoth 50+ times. It's a beautiful drive. Rarely much traffic once you clear LA, even on the weekends. Never crazier than any other road and 10x easier than driving MX 1.

The biggest problem is there are many cops and they'll get you if you go too fast.

[Edited on 1-15-2017 by JZ]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 12:06 PM

This is complete and utter bullchit. I've driven up to Mammoth 50+ times. It's a beautiful drive. Rarely much traffic once you clear LA, even on the weekends. Never crazier than any other road and 10x easier than driving MX 1.

The biggest problem is there are many cops and they'll get you if you go too fast.

Ski season 395 Traffic and drivers suck sunday evening southbound, and thurs and friday eve northbound. A lot of jerks jockeying to pass on single lane stretches.

[Edited on 1-15-2017 by mtgoat666]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2017 at 12:08 PM

JZ, good for you - I'm talking about the winter. yes, it is a beautiful drive, one of my favorites. I live up that direction and have been driving 395 since about 1963 and as a passenger about 10 years before then. I'm not talking about the road conditions, it's the drivers. Skiers drive crazy. They want to be the first on the slope and the last back to LA. Holiday weekends are the worst...ever been stuck in southbound traffic backing up for miles through Big Pine, Independence, Lone Pine and Olancha?? ....Oh, and during my 53 years traveling 395 got stopped once by the CHP. My fault. Drive sane and within the limit = no problems with the cops

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.