BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: San Felipe Recommendations?
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2017 at 08:19 PM

We were there for 2 nights over new years, Rooms were clean, water was hot, Think we paid about $70.00 US. per night. We also had a great meal at El Nido! have a great trip.
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 08:49 AM

Looks like we'll try to cross the border, fuel up our jerry cans, get some supplies, head to SF and get some shrimp or fish or ??? and head to Percebú. I don't really want to deflate my tires to get onto the beach though and hope we can find a good location there.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 09:12 AM

Stopped by Percebu a couple yrs. back, as I REMEMBER, there were a few
metal roofed camping palapas near the restaurant, nothing that stands out, I might
look at other camping oportunities so. of SF, if that is the area
you are headed to

[Edited on 1-19-2017 by sancho]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 09:41 AM

No need to deflate for Percebu. You can walk across the lagoon to Shell Island at low tide.
However, deflating for sand or dirt roads is a common practice, so I recommend you get a good electric air pump. This is important also if you have to plug a hole in your tire (get a tire plug kit).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SomebodyElse

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 09:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajamedic  
Kevin, if you make it to the Malecon... Baja Mar, Stuffed Shrimp, wrapped in bacon, it is well worth the trip to San Felipe. JH

I can second that! Camarones Costa Azul are plump tasty shrimps wrapped in bacon and drizzled with Mozzarela. I had it at Bajamar 2 nights ago and it was awesome.

The shrimp here live up to their reputation. We are eating them lunch and dinner. Guys come by the camper with pails of them or sale as well.

On the practical side, the gas stations are open. The town seems deserted. I am not sure if that is a mid-week January thing or the effect of gasolinazo a we have never been here before. The restaurants and businesses seem very appreciative to have some customers.

SanFelipeGirl.jpg - 128kB
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 10:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SomebodyElse  
Quote: Originally posted by bajamedic  
Kevin, if you make it to the Malecon... Baja Mar, Stuffed Shrimp, wrapped in bacon, it is well worth the trip to San Felipe. JH

I can second that! Camarones Costa Azul are plump tasty shrimps wrapped in bacon and drizzled with Mozzarela. I had it at Bajamar 2 nights ago and it was awesome.

The shrimp here live up to their reputation. We are eating them lunch and dinner. Guys come by the camper with pails of them or sale as well.

On the practical side, the gas stations are open. The town seems deserted. I am not sure if that is a mid-week January thing or the effect of gasolinazo a we have never been here before. The restaurants and businesses seem very appreciative to have some customers.

I asked in a separate post but any recommendations on a pump? If I need to deflate my tires, I'll need to get one. :-)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 10:11 AM

See your other post. MV-50 is what many of us have.
There are photos of in in other threads on tire pumps in the Baja Off Roading forum here on Nomad.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 02:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SomebodyElse  

Guys come by the camper with pails of them or sale as well.

From your pic, it looks like Club Pesca beachfront, I believe the
maniquin thing has been there for yrs. Are the locals shrimp
fishing? With the ban on panga nets off SF, was curious if
shrimping was affected. Not much of a SF Malecon restaurant
goer, but the bacon shrimp has me convinced, thanks for
the recommindation

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 07:20 AM

From the malecon we could see 37 boats fishing yesterday. All looked like shrimp boats. Seems a bit excessive .
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
From the malecon we could see 37 boats fishing yesterday. All looked like shrimp boats. Seems a bit excessive .

Speaking of shrimp fishing, I would like to believe all of us
here are to a greater/lesser degree concerned about the
Sea of Cortez.
Not to sound too sappy but most of us know
the techniques the large shrimp trawlers use, that is dragging
the sea floor. Kinda destroys anything that is in the way.
Lot of bycatch for the amount of the target species.
On further review, maybe I'll take that to heart

[Edited on 1-20-2017 by sancho]
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 06:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
No need to deflate for Percebu. You can walk across the lagoon to Shell Island at low tide.
However, deflating for sand or dirt roads is a common practice, so I recommend you get a good electric air pump. This is important also if you have to plug a hole in your tire (get a tire plug kit).

David,

Any recommendations on where to camp on the "safe" side? I was thinking about pulling into the Rancho and seeing what's there but .....

I'd love to try and get to the "island" but not sure I want to risk it since we'll be alone and at the start of our trip.

Kevin
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 07:03 PM

You can camp at Nuevo Mazatlan (look for the sign at K32). No need to deflate your tires and you'll probably have the place to yourself. Couple of restaurants a few K down the road or grab some supplies at on of the markets before leaving SF.
SomebodyElse

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 11:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kevin_in_idaho  

I asked in a separate post but any recommendations on a pump? If I need to deflate my tires, I'll need to get one. :-)

I followed the advice in this post.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 12:11 AM

Kevin, it is an island so around a full or new moon phase you may not easily get onto it or wish all that sticky mud to be under your truck. Percebu is across from the north end of Shell Island, so you can walk to it at low tide. Nuevo Mazatlan is a favorite camp since the 1960s. The restaurant at km. 35.5, called Chelo's was a great treat. Maybe you will run into Ivan Stewart there?

You really should have that tire pump for any Baja trip and not just for Shell Island.

kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 06:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Kevin, it is an island so around a full or new moon phase you may not easily get onto it or wish all that sticky mud to be under your truck. Percebu is across from the north end of Shell Island, so you can walk to it at low tide. Nuevo Mazatlan is a favorite camp since the 1960s. The restaurant at km. 35.5, called Chelo's was a great treat. Maybe you will run into Ivan Stewart there?

You really should have that tire pump for any Baja trip and not just for Shell Island.

Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure if you could camp near Rancho Percebu or along that side of the beach. The pump is arriving today or Monday for a Wed. departure :-).
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 07:08 AM

We just stayed 2 nights at the Los Angelos hotel. About 1 mile south of the last pemex heading south. 35 bucks for a double. Large, clean rooms. Very nice place. Has a big fence and security cameras.
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 07:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
We just stayed 2 nights at the Los Angelos hotel. About 1 mile south of the last pemex heading south. 35 bucks for a double. Large, clean rooms. Very nice place. Has a big fence and security cameras.

Thanks. I google it but can't find anything about it but will take a look if we don't want to camp near the beach, etc. May need a shower, etc. by then :-)
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 08:15 AM

Big green 3 story building. Huge cell phone antennae is across the street. Free wifi if you need it.

[Edited on 1-22-2017 by ehall]

[Edited on 1-22-2017 by ehall]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 08:32 AM

We eat a Chelo's frequently for breakfast. Only open on weekends. When Chelo is closed the restaurant just south is usually open. Food at both places is good. The trip to Chelo usually results in travel to Shell beach.
We park before the mud and walk to the beach. The result is I have never driven on the beach.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 10:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by kevin_in_idaho  

Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure if you could camp near Rancho Percebu or along that side of the beach. The pump is arriving today or Monday for a Wed. departure :-).

Rancho Percebu is a campground... all the beach camps seemed to have added "rancho" to their names a few years ago... Perhaps for tax purposes?

It was called Laguna Percebu before. There is a cafe/ cantina there. It is at Km. 20.7 (ie. almost Km. 21).

That's the north end of Shell Island, across the lagoon at Percebu.

Shell Island access is Km. 26+ (cinder block columns at the road). A mile and a half of drift sand 4WD driving to the mud/ salt flat then 1/2 mile across that to the beach (island). There are two routes. The one straight ahead was once an elevated causeway with a bridge at the end, offering anytime access. That has pretty much eroded back to the flats and the bridge is useless as the road is well below its original level. The other route (the original road) forks to the right part way towards the bridge. Those tracks are very firm, so even if water is covering them, if you stay in the tracks, you are fine. Get off of them, well... it is like oatmeal and you may not get out so easy.

Nuevo Mazatlan (Km. 32) is also a campground... trees, a sand beach, flush toilets and showers (not hot). No other services.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.