Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Build your own mosquito traps demonstration in LaVentana
laventana
Nomad

Mood: sharing

[*] posted on 1-17-2017 at 07:31 AM
Build your own mosquito traps demonstration in LaVentana

I with the help of a friend Jon, I will be putting on a DIY discussion on how to make your own mosquito traps that work on the disease spreading AE mosquito that we have here in the baja. You should gain the knowledge of how to make your own traps by the conclusion of the event, though I show how to do it on my website. I have successfully made a one-way or dead end mosquito trap for the AE mosquito and tested it and it works. Basically, this is a what is termed a ovi-trap that does not allow the mosquito to escape is my improvement for 15 cents of screen material. Ovi-traps have been used for over 50 years. You can read up on my website. www.mosquitoswithoutborders.com I have a good location secured that has plenty of seating space available in LaVentana where the farmers market is held. My trap can be made with 15 cents of screen hot glue or silicone and a coke bottle. Just add water, we will explain the theory too. It does have the capability to stop dengue, zika, and so on dead in its tracks. If you are not crafty minded I will also sell the components that you just put in a 3-liter soda bottle for a low price. You should have about 4-6 around your home, these should last for 5-10 years just adding water. You will need to bring a chair to sit on, and several uncrushed rinsed out 3-liter coke bottles is the donation to me so I can make more traps. The date I am planning on is January 26th right after the farmer’s market in LaVentana, which is also the same day of the LaVentana Classic tournament if you wish to stick around for some events. This will be easy to find because it is on the main road just after the main campground and plenty of the signage for the farmer’s market on the main road. Tentatively at 12:30 right after the morning farmer’s market. Please bring a chair as there are none available at the location. Contact me though my website, see ya there. Dean.

jdshipman83

[*] posted on 1-17-2017 at 03:57 PM

I'm impressed with your website (and design), but I still can't decide if you are just trolling us :)
brucedog
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2017 at 06:29 PM

Dean is very active in the community and definitely not trolling
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 1-17-2017 at 06:33 PM

trolling or not - mosquito traps REDUCE the amount of mosquitos
they don't eliminate them
it takes only one sting to get Dengue/Zika etc

use mosquito spray on your skin religiously
and even with that I have Dengue about once a year (La Paz)

Harald Pietschmann
laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2017 at 07:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
trolling or not - mosquito traps REDUCE the amount of mosquitos
they don't eliminate them
it takes only one sting to get Dengue/Zika etc

use mosquito spray on your skin religiously

yes one should wear repellant when one is at risk specially out and about where precautions are not taken.

awe that is where you may be mistaken. Mine works a bit different. I do not set out to eliminate all mosquitos as that is impossible. I am trying to trap the mosquito who is laying eggs who 2 days before bit someone. Could be someone infected. This mosquito does not fly far from its water sources.

It takes 7-11 days for a mosquito to pass any diseases once it draws blood from an infected person. Thus the goal is to nab the egg layer in her 2-4 cycles before she can pass the disease.

this mossy wants to lay eggs in many places each egg laying cycle. "literally do not put all your eggs in one basket" technically they call it skip ovipostation.

So if you have enough locations of these 15 cent traps you increase the probability of catching her. Ovi traps are nothing new they have been used for 50 years to just forecast how bad the problem will get critical by mosquito control districts. I just do not let the potentially infected one get away, that have till this date.

As far as trolling jds, you are correct that would be too much effort to make the pictures and so on just for a reaction. But you never know until you show up to my DIY free seminar. (well you have to give me three clean 3-liter bottles, so not free)

[Edited on 1-18-2017 by laventana]

[Edited on 1-18-2017 by laventana]

jdshipman83

[*] posted on 1-17-2017 at 08:34 PM

This is very helpful. I was totally ignorant on this issue, so I am grateful for the post. Dean - I would most definitely join your upcoming DIY if I were going to be in town. Hopefully I can catch the next one :)
laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2017 at 09:04 PM

jds then you may want to start drinking the 3-liter bottles now so they are empty...

Actually this may be the only event I do, being hearing impaired from birth I do not like public speaking, even being in a crowd is not comfortable for me, that is why my friend Jon will do the talking. And I do the trap making demo.

I am hoping those that do attend can then show and tell in there locals thereafter. Kind of a pay it forward with benefits if we are all successful.

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2017 at 10:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Interesting since most medical experts seem to believe that once you have it you then have lifelong immunity from that strain.

Then if you get one of the other 3 strains the odds are greatly increased that it will be much more serious.

There are only 4 known strains.

So having it more than 3 or 4 times and not being near death on the last couple of times is pretty amazing.

Even having it more than 4 times is pretty amazing.

Or, perhaps you had a flu?

Some people have just seen or been or done it all have they not?

Hopefully it will skip you this year.
laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 07:11 AM

The link below one of the best resources I have found from a MD on dengue, if I remember in some of the comments some people have lingering effects for a lifetime. Rare but happens.

He would not let me post to cover septic systems for years till the US military did a research project in PR about 4 years ago where they sampled the septic systems and found the AE mosquito in the ones that did have larvae. The scientific conventional wisdom till that was done is this mosquito can not breed in dirty water. And to give him credit once I found that study he did allow me to post my cover your septic and house system vents with a 10 cent screen...

I had tried/applied to get funding in 2003 from the gates foundation and confident this is why they would not have funded me to develop a one-way trap for septic systems. Now that a few years ago the military found them and proved what I had been saying since 2000 when I discover it maybe I would have had a chance for funding. But the Gates foundation right now is not accepting funding requests.

Here is the MD that has the best info from a doctors standpoint I have run into.

https://yucalandia.com/science-health-issues/dengue-fact-she...

[Edited on 1-19-2017 by laventana]

laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 04:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by laventana  

I had tried/applied to get funding in 2003 from the gates foundation and confident this is why they would not have funded me...

You tried connecting with the local research community about this? Between the CIBNOR, CICIMAR, UABCS, CICESE and who know what else, lots of researchers around...

How's your Spanish?

I was looking for funding first. If I had found funding would have involved local departments. But without funding confident an outsider with an engineering degree is rarely welcome. Maybe if I had a PhD in Biology i would stand a chance.

So as I noted I figured out a way to design and test this summer because of the kids larvae infested turtle water I was always cleaning out. I used those hatching mosquitoes in a controlled test system I designed till I was at 98% effective. First trap design i had with just a screen and a plumbing T tested was 0% effective, they were more clever than I thought. Next version about 20% and on and on, till about 4-6 interactions to hit 98%.

Then put my traps around my property to see if it worked in the real word, ya it worked in a controlled "lab test" but real world can be brutal. I had 7 of the 10 containers to have larvae in them.

Next process was to make it easier for others to make at home and me to mass produce, and I have a scalable way to do this now. So now time to get people to make their own, and those who are not crafty a way to buy them at a low price.

Right now another step is also why I am doing this seminar is to get independent results and get people to teach neighbors to teach neighbors to do it and explain how it actually works.

In the USA the feds just awarded about 180 million in grants to universities and states for zika. I am just not networked into such organizations.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
1-19-2017 at 04:35 PM
laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 05:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by laventana  
In the USA the feds just awarded about 180 million in grants to universities and states for zika. I am just not networked into such organizations.
Point being that those local investigators with "PhD in Biology", probably are, or have the institutional credibility necessary to open doors which you might not. Seems like crowdfunding would be a viable option with a credible case presented.

I'm curious: What's the point of setting traps on septic tanks, rather than just eliminating them as laying spots?

Ya I understand where you are coming from, and do not take it as a critique, just optimism on your part. I have been developing products for me and other companies for 30 years including being dir of R& D and VP of engineering of small companies.. I have knocked on more doors than you would ever believe for funding products and have a good sense of what it takes. I did have about 10 top researchers from US national labs PhDs as well as some MDs signing a letter of support when I went to the gates foundation and several other foundations. It really comes down to there is only so much time one has in a day.. and like this networking.

Already on another forum a person has popped up that of all things owns a company that makes metal screens and is going to see if he can help. He will be at my place on Monday for a detailed explanation and take samples to his engineers. Though I think I have the screen making process down really cheap unless I was to automate which would be about 1 million dollars is my rough estimate because of some of the complicated issues.

My last production issue for using bottles is cutting the holes in the bottles, and may have a prototype on its way tomorrow from a fiend in Georgia who is a heater inventor and has a full machine shop at his home.

Ya never know, may run into a expert in blow molding next on this forum or someone with a direct person contact/link to CDC.

You are correct on the crowdfunding too. Been there and done that on other projects. The crowdfunding will be done for this one if I ever find a person who can do the video. I have tried crowdfunding before for a product or two, one that has won 9 national and international awards (for instance best new product new your stationery show), but could not get crowdfunding, those videos are tough to get the quality you need to get people involved and fund.

[Edited on 1-20-2017 by laventana]

laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 07:51 PM

I'm curious: What's the point of setting traps on septic tanks, rather than just eliminating them as laying spots?

The reason is it is obviously a natural lure. As a case and point, the Mexican child i care for reported to me that the school had mosquitos all over in the class and in the bathrooms. I received permission from the teacher and during the summer break modified their septic tank vent tube to be a trap. She has reported to me no mosquitos at all, all school year there (sept-now). Again this is typical from my observations. So why not use them as a qualified lure.

[Edited on 1-20-2017 by laventana]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.