BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: tire electric pump recommendation (Shell beach tire deflation)
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 09:55 AM
tire electric pump recommendation (Shell beach tire deflation)

Wow... great info on the forum but now...

If we want to camp at Percebú (Shell beach/island) and have to deflate our tires, I guess we should have a way to inflate the tires.

What electric pump have people been using? I saw that someone got one at Harbor Freight and it wasn't so good.

Do we have to really deflate our tires to get on the beach at Percebú or are there places we can reach w/o doing that? I guess it's good to have a pump either way (and patch/plug kit).
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 10:07 AM

MV-50, on Amazon. Around $80, fills my 265/75-16" truck tires from 18 to 34 psi in under 3 minutes.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 10:09 AM

bought a Viair a while back. Worked well on the 35's, but it's no speed demon, but it is continuous duty.. I would think the took about 20 minutes to go from 10- 50#'s on a 35inch tire.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 10:10 AM
Just wait!

Holy Smokes Kevin - just you wait - the flood gates will very soon open and you'll be deluged with a variety of quality and prices, adamant opinions, wild guesses, and the like. This is one of the hot topics that sparks reply after reply.

So, my choice - Viair 400p - reliable and not inexpensive.

John M

[Edited on 1-19-2017 by John M]
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 10:15 AM

Cheapo deluxe at Harbor Freight. $15. Takes a while but it does work.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 10:47 AM

Those MV50's used to be awesome. I'm on my third one but dont trust it anymore as a primary pump. Both its predicessors intake flapper thingy broke. The original had ansmall screw holding it in place and #2 had a rivet which doesnt allow it to be replaced easily like the screw did.

I've gone the CO2 bottle route.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 11:09 AM

Viair on one rig and 21# CO2 on the other . Both work
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 11:22 AM

I went from a Quick Air II, which I had for 17+ years, to a Smittybuilt 2781. I like the Smittybuilt so far except it's bulkier than the Quick Air.

https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-2781-5-65-Universal-Compre...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 11:29 AM

Here is my post for July 3, 2016, in the Nomad Off Roading forum:

One of the most important items to have in your Baja bound vehicle is an air pump to reinflate tires. Deflating tires off the pavement is key to both puncture resistance and traction/ flotation.

Another use for the air pump is to refill a flat tire after you plug a hole (if you didn't deflate before off pavement driving). So, have a tire plug kit, as well!

I have had three models of electric tire pumps over the past 35 or so years.
I started with one that plugged into the cigarette lighter... It was not so bad because at the time, my 4x4 was a Subaru with 13" tires, and I would just wait the time it took to refill.

When I started off roading in a Tacoma, with 16" x 31" or 32" tires (265/70 or 75 x 16) the cigarette lighter powered unit was just too slow, adding air at the rate of 2 psi per minute. That meant to go from 15 psi to 35 psi (20 psi added) would take 10 minutes per tire or 40 minutes for all four.

The great aridologist, Mr. Neal Johns, recommended the General Pneumatic brand pump with a power cable that clips directly onto the battery... was on sale for $49.95 at Harbor Freight. That unit filled my tires at the rate of 6 psi per minute, three times faster (3.3 minutes/tire).

On the negative side, the power cable gets very hot and the fuses would melt (not blow, but the plastic housing would melt). The large hard plastic carrying case was a bit bulky, too.

I acquired an MV-50 SuperFlow pump and it was perhaps a tad slower but the wires did not overheat and it fit into a smaller, canvas carrying case. It gave me years of good service until my last use, last year, just south of Gonzaga Bay, when I was refilling my tires and when moving the fill hose to reach the last tire, accidently P-nched the tube (while the pump was running)... and that blew out an internal check valve and ended its life!

That was not the pump's fault! But, TURN OFF the pump between tires, just in case!

Well, for Father's Day, my kids got me a new MV-50 along with some of those automatic deflator devices you screw onto the tire stems. I did an in garage test, using a stop watch... Here are my findings:

Using a precision dial pressure gauge, I deflated my tire to 20 psi then timed how long to add 15 psi (back to 35 psi). The answer was 2.5 minutes for a 265/75-16 all terrain tire.
1 min = 6 psi ADDED
2 min = 12 psi
3 min = 18 psi
4 min = 24 psi
5 min = 30 psi

The gauge on the pump was pretty accurate when the pump was not running, but jumps almost 10 psi when on and filling. So, to know when to remove the fill hose, I ran the pump until the gauge was just below the 45 psi line (for 35 psi in the tire. You can toggle the on off switch to see the more accurate pressure.

2 minutes???
In 2 minutes, it will add 12 psi to a truck tire, if the tire is flat, you may need closer to 6 minutes if your tire needs around 35 psi for the highway. Obviously more time if you have a higher pressure tire.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 11:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
Viair 400p - reliable and not inexpensive.

My choice as well. Like all tools, go the cheap/inexpensive route, and you get what you deserve.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 11:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by kevin_in_idaho  
Wow... great info on the forum but now...

If we want to camp at Percebú (Shell beach/island) and have to deflate our tires, I guess we should have a way to inflate the tires.

What electric pump have people been using? I saw that someone got one at Harbor Freight and it wasn't so good.

Do we have to really deflate our tires to get on the beach at Percebú or are there places we can reach w/o doing that? I guess it's good to have a pump either way (and patch/plug kit).

buy cheap, and buy it twice!

$15 air compressor should work at least two times before it overheats and dies :lol:

kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 12:41 PM

Thanks everyone! I searched but didn't find all those recommendations. I'll do some shopping today!
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 12:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
Holy Smokes Kevin - just you wait - the flood gates will very soon open and you'll be deluged with a variety of quality and prices, adamant opinions, wild guesses, and the like. This is one of the hot topics that sparks reply after reply.

So, my choice - Viair 400p - reliable and not inexpensive.

John M

[Edited on 1-19-2017 by John M]

Ooops :-). That will teach me to do a better search....

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 02:28 PM

The compressor should be one to connect directly to the battery terminals and not the cigarette lighter. My MV-50 adds air to the tires three times faster than a Coleman cigarette lighter powered pump I used to have, ie. 3 min. vs. 9 min. per tire. A 12 minute ritual way way beats a 36 minute one, specially in the hot sun.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 03:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Here is my post for July 3, 2016, in the Nomad Off Roading forum:

One of the most important items to have in your Baja bound vehicle is an air pump to reinflate tires. Deflating tires off the pavement is key to both puncture resistance and traction/ flotation.

Another use for the air pump is to refill a flat tire after you plug a hole (if you didn't deflate before off pavement driving). So, have a tire plug kit, as well!

I have had three models of electric tire pumps over the past 35 or so years.
I started with one that plugged into the cigarette lighter... It was not so bad because at the time, my 4x4 was a Subaru with 13" tires, and I would just wait the time it took to refill.

When I started off roading in a Tacoma, with 16" x 31" or 32" tires (265/70 or 75 x 16) the cigarette lighter powered unit was just too slow, adding air at the rate of 2 psi per minute. That meant to go from 15 psi to 35 psi (20 psi added) would take 10 minutes per tire or 40 minutes for all four.

The great aridologist, Mr. Neal Johns, recommended the General Pneumatic brand pump with a power cable that clips directly onto the battery... was on sale for $49.95 at Harbor Freight. That unit filled my tires at the rate of 6 psi per minute, three times faster (3.3 minutes/tire).

On the negative side, the power cable gets very hot and the fuses would melt (not blow, but the plastic housing would melt). The large hard plastic carrying case was a bit bulky, too.

I acquired an MV-50 SuperFlow pump and it was perhaps a tad slower but the wires did not overheat and it fit into a smaller, canvas carrying case. It gave me years of good service until my last use, last year, just south of Gonzaga Bay, when I was refilling my tires and when moving the fill hose to reach the last tire, accidently P-nched the tube (while the pump was running)... and that blew out an internal check valve and ended its life!

That was not the pump's fault! But, TURN OFF the pump between tires, just in case!

Well, for Father's Day, my kids got me a new MV-50 along with some of those automatic deflator devices you screw onto the tire stems. I did an in garage test, using a stop watch... Here are my findings:

Using a precision dial pressure gauge, I deflated my tire to 20 psi then timed how long to add 15 psi (back to 35 psi). The answer was 2.5 minutes for a 265/75-16 all terrain tire.
1 min = 6 psi ADDED
2 min = 12 psi
3 min = 18 psi
4 min = 24 psi
5 min = 30 psi

The gauge on the pump was pretty accurate when the pump was not running, but jumps almost 10 psi when on and filling. So, to know when to remove the fill hose, I ran the pump until the gauge was just below the 45 psi line (for 35 psi in the tire. You can toggle the on off switch to see the more accurate pressure.

2 minutes???
In 2 minutes, it will add 12 psi to a truck tire, if the tire is flat, you may need closer to 6 minutes if your tire needs around 35 psi for the highway. Obviously more time if you have a higher pressure tire.
It depends on the truck tire. I have one of those and it takes 20 minutes to take a tire on my f-350 from 20 psi to 40 psi, and the thing gets so hot you can't touch it.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 04:04 PM

If you have an inverter or generator onboard, these don't take up much space and work pretty well. Still not super fast though.
https://www.amazon.com/Senco-PC1010-1-Horsepower-1-Gallon-Co...

"The future ain't what it used to be"
salttram
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 04:19 PM

+1 on the Viair 400P, which I've had for years and has never let me down. That and a set of Starn deflators make airing down and up SO easy and fast!

The fittings are of low quality, so I replaced with a quality brass chuck/gauge. Eventually I'm going to convert it to Anderson connectors with a longer power cord so I don't have to open my hood, and then I can cut the air hose down to 2 feet.
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 05:21 PM

The 400P looks good but it's quite expensive for the number of times I may use it. I don't have an inverter, etc. so the Senco is out. The MV-50 looks like the winner even if it takes a while. It's really for backup hopefully :-)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 05:34 PM

The 3 minutes per tire is to add 18 psi (16 to 34 psi, for example) for my 16" x 32" tall truck tires (265/75-16). I have never had either of the MV-50s I have owned overheat and shut down during a 4 tire fill up. Yes, it gets hot and needs to cool a bit before putting it away.

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 05:37 PM

I have a Viair, and love it! They make a family of portable compressors with specifications on how fast they fill tires. The faster ones are bigger and more expensive. Check them out online.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.