BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Booking a Whale Watching Trip
jkvm

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 06:26 PM
Booking a Whale Watching Trip

Is it necessary to book a whale tour for Bahia Magdalena. We aren't sure when we will be arriving. In late Feb. but not sure what day. In 2006 we camped out there on the beach past the Salt Operation, and just booked a trip that night for the next day. Have things gotten too busy to do this nowadays? Also which bay is better? Ojo de Liebre or Magdalena. Thanks for the help.This is my 1st post. Kv
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 11:39 PM

Welcome check out Shari and Whale Magic. She might be out with them already.

http://www.whalemagictours.com/

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 08:39 AM

Morning whale lovers and a whale of a welcome to the Nomad sandbox! All the lagoons have different qualities. Ojo de Liebre is the principle lagoon with around 2,000 whales there in an enormous lagoon with 5 different companies operating in different observation areas....this is where I do my research and guided tours. Where you camped at the Ejido campground is a great place to just jump on a boat as they leave on demand whenever there are people who want to go out and I bet this year is pretty slow for tourism.

San Ignacio has around 3-400 whales and is a bit trickier to get to but has great whale encounters and several companies as well and you can camp there too.

Mag Bay is the most accessible and has around 2-300 whales at the peak in mid to late February and is probably easy to get a panga without a reservation.

There are most likely seats available on tours but keep in mind February and the first week of March is very busy and often hotel rooms are full. You may not get the day you want if you dont make a reservation but if you are flexible, you can most likely get out in any lagoon. If you want to see more of what I do check out www.whalemagictours.com

[Edited on 1-20-2017 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 01:11 PM

We booked with Sherry last year, 6 adults and 2 young children. Outstanding...We had the time of our lives, Sherry was what made the trip. Her knowledge, patience and delivery can not be duplicated by anyone else there. Do your selves a large favor and arrange to go with her.

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 02:39 PM

thank you kind sir...I'm blushing!
After working with whales for around 30 years I do have a unique prospective on them and my mission in life is to tell people about whales so they may see them in a new more informed light.

Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 09:20 AM

Then again maybe it was the brownies.........

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 09:42 AM

Yum....chocolate and whales....great combination !

Don't believe everything you think....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 09:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Terry28  
Then again maybe it was the brownies.........

Do you need a prescription for the brownies?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 10:25 AM

I did the Ojo de Liebre with shari it was great in the morning. Calm water, lots of whales up close. Broke for lunch and decided for the afternoon launch. That was a mistake. The wind picked up, there were too many people in the boat for me to be comfortable. Maybe 10-12? I sat in the back row, 3 adults and felt cramped. The boat felt unsteady. Worse part was the wind and choppy water. Esp. returning. I'll never do p.m. again.

For a morning tour, I'd want to know how many people were going out. Smaller is better.

shari was first class beginning to end. I'd choose to go with her and arrange a small group.

Touching a whale is truly magical. shari leads a charmed life. Juan too.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 06:47 PM

Gracias Lee...ya just never know....some of the most memorable trips are when it was miserable out...it's like often whales reward you for toughing it out and they really fight the elements to get close to you!

or....those magical flat calm afternoons

and also in the afternoons, the whales are warmed up and excited and are more animated than first thing in the morning...fact is...it is different every trip every day every boat!

tick tick tick tick....cant wait

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 06:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
I did the Ojo de Liebre with shari it was great in the morning. Calm water, lots of whales up close. Broke for lunch and decided for the afternoon launch. That was a mistake. The wind picked up, there were too many people in the boat for me to be comfortable. Maybe 10-12? I sat in the back row, 3 adults and felt cramped. The boat felt unsteady. Worse part was the wind and choppy water. Esp. returning. I'll never do p.m. again.

For a morning tour, I'd want to know how many people were going out. Smaller is better.

shari was first class beginning to end. I'd choose to go with her and arrange a small group.

Touching a whale is truly magical. shari leads a charmed life. Juan too.

Whale watching is similar to going to Disneyland. Some days it's too hot (or Windy) Some days the crowds are too much. But it's always the happiest place on earth :)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.