BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking for companions to ride back from La Paz to CA 1/23 - February
wingedwonder

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 06:37 PM
Looking for companions to ride back from La Paz to CA 1/23 - February

Hi All,

I posted via Baja Nomads way back in November asking for advice, thank you for all the replies! Long story short: I was riding with some motorcycle friends through Baja and had a mechanical issue where my bike needed to be towed to La Paz. On the way to La Paz, my friend was in a motorcycle accident and need to be airlifted back to the states and I ended up having to fly back with her. She is doing well btw!

My bike has been in La Paz for 2 months now and will finally be fixed on Saturday! Haha, another LONG story. I was wondering if there is anyone that would be interested in caravanning back up to California. I would prefer other motorcyclists, but I am really open to anyone that would be heading north that doesn’t mind a tag along (since I do not want to go alone).

Feel free to DM me and I really appreciate the help! I am also keeping a close eye on the gas protest happening too, eventually my bike will make it back home!
lloydsteve

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 06:26 AM

What type/model are you riding.?
I am planning on going out there before or after summer. Depending on work schedule.
Mine is a full dresser Harley.

Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 08:48 PM

Hope your friend is OK!

That could be a long ride. I'm sure you already did ..but check over at ADVrider for sure. Maybe someone coming through from down South that's monitoring the boards.

If you have to do it alone, Take it slow and enjoy the scenery. Don't rush whatever you do.

Stay safe and check in when you get home.

[Edited on 1-22-2017 by Beagle]
wingedwonder

[*] posted on 1-22-2017 at 11:07 AM

Thank you! My bike is a Suzuki VStrom 650. I have posted in AVrider as well and can't seem to find anyone heading north in February right now... most people seem to be heading North in March and April.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-22-2017 at 12:13 PM

I was in Mulege for two weeks in November and met a KLR rider from New Mexico. He was new to the motoworld but reportedly an experienced world traveler. As typical for such riders, he was WAY overpacked (eg. geologist hammer, shovel, new blingy stuff and overdressed. A nice fellow, and was pretty rigid about how to do things....internet info-influenced mostly....and an ADVrider devotee.

He reported a flat in Santa Rosalia and another in Guerrero Negro...now with a bulged tire. He e-mailed me to ask for help getting a tire and tube as I was a bit connected with the Mulege moto guys/shop who indicated he could get tire/tube bussed down from Ensenada in 2-3 days. As he was intent on getting the exact tire/tube replacement, he got his wife to send from the USA through a shop and DHL. I cautioned him that it could take 1-2 weeks for such a delivery and the extra cost of customs....several times....but he had a plan and was sticking to it.

Result?

Two weeks in GN waiting for tire/tube at a greater expense than the Ensenada order would have taken....

While fluent in Spanish, he did not appear to trust local info or system (the old theft paranoia)....his fear ran the show at that time.

He made it back home safely.

I suggest you don't wait for someone else to make your trip happen. Get on the bike and ride back....caravaning with a moto might make you feel safer but won't necessarily make the trip safer re: accidents or flats.

But each to his own.

Ride safely however you do it.

Don't believe everything you think....
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 1-22-2017 at 12:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
I was in Mulege for two weeks in November and met a KLR rider from New Mexico. He was new to the motoworld but reportedly an experienced world traveler. As typical for such riders, he was WAY overpacked (eg. geologist hammer, shovel, new blingy stuff and overdressed. A nice fellow, and was pretty rigid about how to do things....internet info-influenced mostly....and an ADVrider devotee.

He reported a flat in Santa Rosalia and another in Guerrero Negro...now with a bulged tire. He e-mailed me to ask for help getting a tire and tube as I was a bit connected with the Mulege moto guys/shop who indicated he could get tire/tube bussed down from Ensenada in 2-3 days. As he was intent on getting the exact tire/tube replacement, he got his wife to send from the USA through a shop and DHL. I cautioned him that it could take 1-2 weeks for such a delivery and the extra cost of customs....several times....but he had a plan and was sticking to it.

Result?

Two weeks in GN waiting for tire/tube at a greater expense than the Ensenada order would have taken....

While fluent in Spanish, he did not appear to trust local info or system (the old theft paranoia)....his fear ran the show at that time.

He made it back home safely.

I suggest you don't wait for someone else to make your trip happen. Get on the bike and ride back....caravaning with a moto might make you feel safer but won't necessarily make the trip safer re: accidents or flats.

But each to his own.

Ride safely however you do it.

I was also at the same hotel as Ged and it was an interesting process to watch as he gave good advice which was pretty much ignored. The rider had done a strength/weight analysis when buying a skid plate but did not have a spare rear tube. My priorities are a little more basic.

I will be riding around southern Baja starting in about a week and may get to La Paz. Feel free to contact me (U2U) and we might ride together at least part way. Ged is correct about riding solo, don't be apprehensive about it. I've been riding up and down that highway as long as it has existed, mostly solo, and never had any real problem. Fixed some flats along the road though.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.