BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: State of BCS plans to implement a new tourist tax, $350 Pesos.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 10:22 AM
State of BCS plans to implement a new tourist tax, $350 Pesos.

If this is successful, what's next?

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/foreign-tourists-will-pay-ta...

[Edited on 1-25-2017 by Howard]

[Edited on 1-25-2017 by BajaNomad]

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 10:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
If this is successful, what's next?

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/foreign-tourists-will-pay-ta...

[Edited on 1-25-2017 by Howard]

The article explains some logic to the fees. MX is a poor country. $16 for more than one day is not a bad thing. Tourists will spend the money or stay home. Totally worth it in my opinion.

I've wondered about the ''slums'' in Cabo and saw some recently. All things being relative, this wasn't a slum like other parts of the world (Rio).

Took the Cabo exit from the airport road and the road goes through the slum area. Didn't see any cars, lots of shacks and dirt unlike any other area of Cabo I've seen before.

Be happy you can visit free for a day.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 10:36 AM

There is a disconnect in Los Cabos. IMHO. Its considered by some to be the most expensive place, parts of it anyways, in all of Mexico and that is probably correct. Meanwhile the 'help' lives in abject poverty. That and the fact that gringos are seen as walking ATM's because we are all millionaires after all means that the politicos can use that to justify a tax on ALL of Baja. I'm guessing it does not pass but one never knows.

I read somewhere recently that George Clooney and his buddy sold their compound in the area for $100 million US. :O

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 11:00 AM
State of BCS plans to implement a new tourist tax, $350 Pesos.

Foreign tourists will pay tax to stay in Baja
Visitors from abroad will pay 350 pesos to spend more than a day in Baja California Sur

Mexico News Daily | Tuesday, January 24, 2017
The governor of Baja California Sur intends to enact a controversial new 350-peso (US $16) tax on tourists coming from abroad and staying for more than one day.

Governor Carlos Mendoza’s reasoning is that the state has to find additional means to increase its income during times of crisis.

He expects to collect up to 525 million pesos (US $24.5 million) a year with the measure.

To justify it, Mendoza points to the poor quality of life for many people in municipalities such as Los Cabos, a situation that cannot be compared with the economic growth in tourist areas.

“We have neighborhoods that I call “Cardboard-land” in the Los Cabos area. Cardboard houses, no sewage, no running water, that’s the reality for those people living there,” said a local Deputy from the National Action Party, which is that of the governor.

“That is so not because things aren’t done, it’s simply that the budget falls very short with respect to the zone’s growth,” said Alejandro Blanco.

Blanco is a member of the Association of Hoteliers in the state and owner of the iconic Hotel California in Todos Santos.

While he acknowledged that the state must find additional sources of income, the legislator abstained from voting on Mendoza’s proposal because the governor didn’t consult with the state’s hotels before introducing the new tax.

A group of over 70 hoteliers from Los Cabos have obtained legal orders, or are in the process of doing so, as a means to spare them from having to collect the tax.

Hoteliers have accepted that the state must find new sources of income but “we do not believe this is the best way to do it,” said the hotels association president.

“Guests will not only feel that we’re trying to squeeze the last cent out of them, but they will also feel discriminated against because this is a discriminatory tax . . . that they’re not charging domestic tourists,” said Enrique Turcott.

He suggested it must be considered alongside what he called “the Trump effect,” and could become a tool to be used against the state in recommendations that U.S. President Donald Trump might make regarding travel outside the U.S.

The governor, his party and political allies believe the new tax will have no impact on foreign tourism.

“I don’t think that this 15 or 16 dollars will scare tourists away, when they spend that on chewing gum . . . .” said Labor Party Deputy Camilo Torres.

The U.S. and Canada supply 70% of the state’s tourists; the remaining 30% come from South America and Europe.

Seventy per cent of the population depends on tourism and 80% of that number live in Los Cabos.

The tax is the first of its kind in any state in Mexico. How it will be collected has yet to be defined.

- See more at: http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/foreign-tourists-will-pay-ta...

NOTICE; This will apply only to BCS Gringo tourists. I would also like to know how Mexico is planning on distributing the money gained to the local people who currently live in deplorable conditions.
:no:
:o
:no:

[Edited on 1-25-2017 by BajaNomad]

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
1-25-2017 at 11:02 AM
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
1-25-2017 at 11:03 AM
Keith R.

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 11:20 AM

That's where the hard working hospitality staff/workers live - you know the ones cleaning the $500/day rooms and serving the $15 margaritas and $150 gourmet dinners.....
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 12:31 PM

but I really find it hard to believe that the money will really benefit the slum folks.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 12:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
but I really find it hard to believe that the money will really benefit the slum folks.

:bounce::bounce:
:bounce::bounce:

Udo

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 12:49 PM

He says it's for the poor, to improve their conditions. That they have no money to fix Cardboardlandia.

I suspect it will go to building further infrastructure for the wealthy.......and to line the pockets of the politicians when they leave office.

It's crazy how often I read about this governor or that governor suddenly disappearing with all this money after leaving office.

aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 01:00 PM

Absolutely. Can't imagine there's much of a watchdog group.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 01:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

The article explains some logic to the fees. MX is a poor country. $16 for more than one day is not a bad thing. Tourists will spend the money or stay home. Totally worth it in my opinion.

Ridiculous. Mexico is not a poor country. Just poorly run.
"Pay to play" will just be another nail in the coffin.

[Edited on 1-25-2017 by DENNIS]

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 01:38 PM

It wont. Employment will benefit everybody. [a Trump echo]
Quit trying to compete with China with slave wages and give real incentives to foreign investment.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 03:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Ridiculous. Mexico is not a poor country. Just poorly run.
"Pay to play" will just be another nail in the coffin.

Mexico is not a poor country? Don't think you can document that. Poverty down here is well documented.

Pay to play is probably a non-issue in Cabo. Tourists have money and like spending it. Yup, $15/margs, cruise ships stopping in Cabo charging $300/$500/night. Corridor starting at $200/night.

Poorly run country, yes.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 03:52 PM

[Edited on 1-25-2017 by DENNIS][/rquote]

Mexico is not a poor country? Don't think you can document that. Poverty down here is well documented.

Relative to what...and where?
I don't need to document anything but I'll give you this tidbit of reality:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Mexico

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 04:11 PM

Give Mexico an alternative reality!

Udo

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 04:25 PM

.............................WHY??..............................

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 04:45 PM

What do they do with the hotel room tax they collect?

I don't remember what it is for Baja Sur but Ensenada collects a 16% Value Added Tax plus a 3% city tax.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 06:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  
[Edited on 1-25-2017 by DENNIS][/rquote]

Relative to what...and where?
I don't need to document anything but I'll give you this tidbit of reality:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Mexico

Relative to what? Try to follow this.

Relative to Cabo. Cabo has poverty relative to Cabo. Not Chiapas, not Guerrero. Not writing about Acapulco. Cabo.

Your tidbit says nothing. Don't document anything, just make provocative statements, and continue sounding like prez pu$$ygrabber. Alternative facts fine with me.

I don't know if the tax will have a positive effect on poverty. I'm writing that it sounds good and any improvement down here is a good thing. The Gov might be corrupt. Benefit of the doubt.

F*ck it.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 07:38 PM

[/rquote]

Your tidbit says nothing. Don't document anything, just make provocative statements, and continue sounding like prez pu$$ygrabber.

Shameful....disgraceful. Moreso for posting this on a board read widely by an international audience.

[Edited on 1-26-2017 by DENNIS]

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 06:34 AM

Won't happen, but, Mexico needs to raise income taxes somewhat on the well to do Mexicans, and raise the income taxes on the somewhat wealthy even higher and raise the income taxes on the very wealthy even more, and then slowly (but surely) raise the minimum wage. After that, Mexico needs to lower the IVA slowly but surely as well. Also, the Mexican government needs to go after non-government monopolies and monopolistic companies and break them up.

If the Mexican government did that, their middle class would grow and the ranks of the poor would decrease, domestic spending and GDP would increase, thereby creating more business opportunities and creating more jobs. Then the great disparity of wealth and income in Mexico (Mexico's disparity of income and wealth is in the top five in the world) would be reduced...which, after all, is the big picture salient problem. The people of Mexico have to pay intelligent attention and vote only for the non-corrupt people first, before this could happen.

Ah, just a pipe dream...it'll never happen, ever.

[Edited on 2-3-2017 by MitchMan]

[Edited on 2-3-2017 by MitchMan]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 08:07 AM

Ohhhhhh...the irony of it all that a retailer is the largest private employer in poor, impoverished Mexico.

http://en.mercopress.com/2010/08/05/walmart-is-latin-america...

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.