Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: EPN cancels meeting with Trump
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 08:18 PM
SPEAKING GOD SPEAK

While it might "seem" to be the epitome of (delusional ?) conceit, It IS the belief held by Christians who consider themselves pious that their words (at times anyway) are inspired.

However, I KNOW that they are often wrong.

On those occasions when they misquote ME.
gpm414
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 08:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Widely respected historian Enrique Krauze said there was no doubt now that Mexico’s president should not go to Washington.

“Trump is a lunatic who will probably destroy himself. It is necessary to gain some time with patience, strength and dignity.”

Pretty much sums it up. If asked, I'm saying I'm Canadian.

Well, I sure agree with the "----patience, strength and dignity". That's what we all could use these days. Personally, I am not going to second-guess the Billionaire that wrote "the art of the deal" until I see how it turns out.

Trump "wrote" the book with journalist Tony Schwartz. I invite everyone to watch his actions, listen to his words (not what someone writes for him and he reads on a teleprompter) and yes, read what he writes in 144 characters.

Being home owners and living here half the year, our concerns grow everyday...especially today. We love Mexico and the Mexican people. Our Mexican friends are concerned and angry about how they see Trump treating them and their country.

Politics aside, we should be concerned and listen to our neighbors.
Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 09:32 PM

What a nice president, screwing Mexicans and his own folks at the same time.
Take something from Mexico at $ 10. and normally the seller in the US adds let's say for simplicity 50%, making selling price $ 15.
Now Mr.Dump adds 20 %, making the price 12.00, retailer adds 50% making the selling price $ 18.00 that US clients have to pay. So who is paying that wall?
You are screwed with this idiot.

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 01:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Looks like Pacificos and the like are going to be 20% more expensive for us in the US. I'm guessing the tax hike will benefit all of us.....:barf:

^^^^^TRUTH^^^^^
And not just just Pacificos. :fire:

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 06:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
I won't spend time defending Trump or condemning him...
My attention is drawn to another line of thought where the 20% could be a 'leveling' concept; admittedly corporations have moved manufacturing to a place where they pay sub-livable wages to the workers and exploit that by importing into a place where they can access those who can pay what they demand (US). They avoid wage levels, environmental penalties and compensation/matching funds (at least at the level of US).
Competition in the country where they sell is suppressed.

When we look at oil production we see that when the price falls below a certain level, home brewing ceases. When that price rises, US producers jump back in the game.

Perhaps the 20% will level the ability for those manufacturing jobs to return to the US and provide for those within our borders.

OR do we value our personal position in that foreign country so much that we let our countrymen pay the price for our comfort/desires?

This analysis is worth considering.
Most 'things', not services, have a market price. In my business, our material changed from American made to Asian sourced about 15 years ago. We did not lower our price to the consumer - we just made more profit. However, after a dozen years or so, the lower price of materials was factored into everyone's price structure and there became an American-sourced and an Asian-sourced price structure, openly shown the consumer. After nearly 10,000 deals, we can only remember a handful of consumers who spent more money for the American made product.

A good chunk of our customers earn their money to pay us for our product by supplying consumers in Pacific rim countries with their product. I have been told by them that "California" on the label is considered a stamp of quality and luxury, commanding a slightly higher price. Of course, their customers are paying with money from my company because I'm buying Asian-made stuff.

Having someone in charge who is nuanced in their thinking would be comforting.........
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 07:46 AM

I cant say I disagree with ALL of The Donald's proposals, even though I dislike him so much. Just something about boastful, egotistical liars that rubs me the wrong way.

But those jobs aren't coming back, no matter how much of an import tax you put on the goods we get from Mexico or China. It's too late. A very significant portion of those jobs have been given over to robotics, who work 24/7, never get sick or complain or take vacations. In many areas, humans can't compete with robots. And what CEO is going to turn his/her back on the increased profits or the investment in the robots.

No, the time to reverse this trend was probably the 90s, when many jobs were still done by humans.

But it makes Trumps voters feel good to hear about attempts to return jobs to Americans by taxing goods or bullying CEOs or presidents of other countries, with tweets.

Alienate a neighbor, yet coddle Putin. Black is white, day is night, wrong is right under the New Alternative Facts regime.

aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 08:30 AM

Build a wall!!!

Around california. I wonder if the Country of california could survive without federal protection? Could make for an interesting book.

http://www.yescalifornia.org/

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 08:44 AM

Putting a 20% tariff on goods from Mexico is outrageous! It should only be 18%, like they slap on US goods!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 09:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Putting a 20% tariff on goods from Mexico is outrageous! It should only be 18%, like they slap on US goods!

The Donald has to "one up" everyone. His ego won't allow anything less.
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 10:08 AM

I'm going to wait and see what really takes place.....Is it possible everything we hear right now is chatter, and the real responses will come later?? Obviously a 20% tariff will be paid by all consumers, not Mexico. Trump might be a blow heart, but I don't think he is stupid. So, I suspect there is something else brewing.....
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 11:23 AM

BajaNaranja
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 11:25 AM

I'm afraid that any brains our Prez has are so heavily compromised by ego, greed, pride, compulsion, impulsiveness, and sundry other character defects x1000 that in the end he's going to make a helluva mess that will have lasting effects that many future US presidents will be dealing with.

And that mess may hit those of us who love to visit our neighbors to the south.

But I hope I'm wrong.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 12:20 PM

One thing is becoming very clear. There has to be some constitutional recourse to a President issuing all these executive orders, with no means of countermanding them by the other branches of the government. We're becoming a dictatorship. And it's been going on longer than just The Donald; though he has set a new standard for it, before his first week is out.

Executive orders should be for IMMEDIATE threats to defense and welfare of the country.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 12:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
I cant say I disagree with ALL of The Donald's proposals, even though I dislike him so much. Just something about boastful, egotistical liars that rubs me the wrong way.

But those jobs aren't coming back, no matter how much of an import tax you put on the goods we get from Mexico or China. It's too late. A very significant portion of those jobs have been given over to robotics, who work 24/7, never get sick or complain or take vacations. In many areas, humans can't compete with robots. And what CEO is going to turn his/her back on the increased profits or the investment in the robots.

No, the time to reverse this trend was probably the 90s, when many jobs were still done by humans.

But it makes Trumps voters feel good to hear about attempts to return jobs to Americans by taxing goods or bullying CEOs or presidents of other countries, with tweets.

Alienate a neighbor, yet coddle Putin. Black is white, day is night, wrong is right under the New Alternative Facts regime.

Good point. If we are going to create jobs they will have to be forward thinking and preferably economically beneficial to the US--driverless cars and the associated synchronization of the transportation signal networks, hyperloops, solar, hydrogen fuel cells and fusion power for examples....things we can use here and also export to help the trade imbalances. Of course we'll need oil for a long time still---but that's Mexico's big export to the US (maybe that's Trump's alterior motive-- to get the price of gas high by peeing off Mexico into an oil embargo...I imagine there has to be some kind of collusion with Putin to get oil higher because its killing the Russian economy, not to mention our own oil fields).
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 02:53 PM
Waiting, Wondering and Watching

To what extent many (most ?) of these Executive Orders (and Memorandums) will be implemented is open to question.

They tend to be filled with escape (Weasel-Wording) like "should to the extent possible", "where possible", "where practicable", "should consider", "determine IF", etc, etc, etc.

Which makes sense, but also means that the First Impressions may be off.

That said, there ARE going to be a LOT of BIG changes.

Good, Bad and (really) Ugly.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 03:59 PM

Now comes word of the executive order I feared the most; a renewed push to spend more on defense because The Donald and his puppet masters feel the US has become weak, with respect to our weapons and the amount of personnel in the military. More military madness.

Where has the US been shown to be lacking in a conflict, in terms of hardware and personnel in the last 20 years?

The Donald is confusing Obama's decisions to get out of fights we have no business in, with some kind of need to build our military up again.

It's BushCo/Cheney all over again. It's LBJ all over again. No surprise with the cabinet he's picked.

This is madness!

Pro-life, indeed...........what a joke.

[Edited on 1-27-2017 by Hook]
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 04:00 PM

One thing is becoming very clear. There has to be some constitutional recourse to a President issuing all these executive orders, with no means of countermanding them by the other branches of the government. We're becoming a dictatorship. And it's been going on longer than just The Donald; though he has set a new standard for it, before his first week is out.

Executive orders should be for IMMEDIATE threats to defense and welfare of the country.

Executive orders are not laws but merely implementation of existing laws.
Trump can keep signing all his orders as photo opportunities but nonthing will happen without laws and funding provided by other branches of government.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 04:03 PM

Defunding Obamacare and allowing lenient exemptions is implementation of existing laws??????

Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2017 at 01:02 PM

Defunding Obamacare and allowing lenient exemptions is implementation of existing laws??????

I think that congress needs to come up with a way to do it. Also the imposing of import duties on Mexico would be quite difficult and nearly impossible to do.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-28-2017 at 02:03 PM

This is probably out of place, but here it is anyway; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZkAoosVLkA

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.