Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: New Ride for Baja
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 11:43 AM
New Ride for Baja

Last Fall we became bikeless for the first time in, well, a very long time. Basically, I just hurt and I don't want to break my kids. We've been running around Baja for years in buggies. Frankly, there's no better way to get a family from point A to B, whether it's to go snorkeling, kiteboarding or just to get some tacos. I didn't plan on starting a new buggy build as I already had one I was re-outfitting, but a fresh chassis dropped into my lap, so what was I to do? Chassis built as a sand car, but I'm modifying it into a dual sport (we don't do the dune thing). Hoped to have it done by this Spring, but delays and what not conspired against me (as is often the case with these things). Perhaps next year.

front wheels/tires on the rear for now

These should suck up some bumps

Orig front arms much too wide for the desert, so building narrower ones (getting close).

When finished, it should look similar to this (same body, but this example is different in a number of ways from my build).

Some day.

[Edited on 1-27-2017 by DeMinimis]

[Edited on 2-22-2017 by BajaNomad]

You gonna eat that?
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 12:07 PM

Looks like you got a lot of work ahead of you. Definetley agree on a buggy being the smoothest and fastest way to get places. Just not in my budget right now so Im stuck on the bike or jeep.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 12:12 PM

Unfortunate to give up the bike, but as the say, "with age comes a cage."

Still, a fun win-win.

DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 12:17 PM

Yes, it's been dragging and I've spent a crazy number of hours on the new front arms. My front bypasses will finally arrive Monday. So once I have those, I'll be able to start the final process of the front arms (shock mounts need attention, tube gussets I'm afraid to install for fear of issues with the shocks, and so forth. Looking forward to finally getting this thing standing on it's own feet. After that, I'll knock out the steering, build seat mounts, install the pedals and plumb the brakes. Once it's a true roller, I may turn my attention back to my convertible Bug project. I only have around 80 hours of work left on that (just reassembly). After all these years, and with only 50k miles on it, I'll probably sell it to fund the transaxle and engine for the buggy. Wife will shoot me.

You gonna eat that?
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 12:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Unfortunate to give up the bike, but as the say, "with age comes a cage."

At least I never succumbed to a quad. You know what they say about those.

You gonna eat that?
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2017 at 12:02 PM

Finally got the correct rears on.

Delivered my heavily modified lower a-arms to my guy this AM to finish tig welding. I put way too much time into those expensive pieces of Desert Dynamics junk I got ripped off on.

Too many issue to list (not limited to unfinished welds, improperly place shock mounts, using tie rods jammed into the tubes instead of using properly sized bungs, lies, etc., etc., etc.).

1.5" tie rod jammed into 1.75" tube:

The thin part of the rod end was the only thing inside the a-arm tubes. These would have peeled out right away.

So, after cutting the welds, then pounding out the ties rods, my a-arm tubes were too short, so...

Shock mounts as they arrived. Crooked and unusable (couldn't even install the coilover due to interference with the upper arms).

So, removed the shock mounts and 1.25" cross tube. Notched new cross tubes out of 1.5" and instead of centering between the outside a-arm tubes, I installed them flush with the bottom of the 1.75" a-arm tubes (to lower the shock mounts as this too was needed). Complicated notches, but managed it.

(before I cleaned up the burr)

Tacked in with the coilover portion of the mount positioned, roughly, in the center of the available space, and before I added the center section and the rear, bypass mount, section.

Since the uppers were so bad, i decided it was easier to build them from scratch. It was. The lowers, since out $1500++ (because Dave at DD is a dishonest scumbag), I decided to try and salvage. It would have been much, much, much easier to just build those from scratch as well. Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

[Edited on 2-21-2017 by DeMinimis]

[Edited on 2-22-2017 by BajaNomad]

You gonna eat that?
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 09:41 AM

Looks like a fun project, but I know the work that goes into these. I told myself I would never build another one... I recently sold my buggy and bought a KTM. My wife wants me to sell the bike now and gave me the green light for another off-road car. I definitely have the itch for another buggy! If I get another, I'll try to buy a completed one and modify as needed. That's a DD chassis?

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 09:48 AM

Yes, it's a DD. 4/5 seater sand car that I'm modding into a dual sport (desert car) as I don't do the dune thing. Lots of work. Once it's to full roller status, I'm going to move it out of the working side of the shop and start putting my rare, low mile Bug back together. Then, against the entire fam's wishes, I'm going to sell the Bug to help fund finishing the DD. Never enough hours in the day it seems.

You gonna eat that?
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 09:51 AM

Nice...Are you going Mendeola and LS power?

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 09:56 AM

Weddle HV-25 and LS-3 crate. I have a modified Honda V-6 on the stand, but I think it's going to be too light for this heavy car (got it for my former Chenowth, but ended up with the DD unexpectedly, so the Chenowth went down the road).

[Edited on 2-22-2017 by DeMinimis]

[Edited on 6-14-2018 by BajaNomad]

You gonna eat that?
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 10:19 AM

Here is my old car....miss it! It was a fun, reliable car...

DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 10:22 AM

I'll say! 1-5/8"?

You gonna eat that?
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 10:25 AM

Looks familiar

You gonna eat that?
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 01:58 PM

Lower arms done.

You gonna eat that?
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 02:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DeMinimis  
I'll say! 1-5/8"?

It was 1.5"...

Your welds look great!

[Edited on 2-22-2017 by Pacifico]

DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 02:55 PM

Thanks. I wish those were my welds. I suck at tig, so I do all the cutting, notching and fitting and my guy welds them up. Often gives a free tig lesson while at it, but I must be stupid because I still suck.

You gonna eat that?
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 08:13 PM

Looks like a great project! May know were there is a Fortin 4 speed,
new. U to U me if you want.
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 08:15 PM

Thanks. Those Fortins are a lot of money (non dog fork). Rebuilds are way out of my pay grade, but thank you for reaching out.

You gonna eat that?
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 08:28 PM

LS 3? lot of power! We run LS -1 usually prep once a year, spend
around $1,500 to $3,000 per visit, good insurance for being out
in the middle of nowhere! Hope to see you out there some day.
keep the pics coming with your build. I also have a VW project
that I almost have done. 74 Thing. Wife will not let that go!

DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 08:58 PM

The Waddle is reliable to 500hp (33" tires). A plain ol' ls3 crate is well below that. Yes, we might to have to meet with at Airstreamwilly's one of these days.

Love those Things. Before I sold the Chenoweth, I considered scabbing a Thing around the chassis. The DD is way too wide to do it. Yup, I checked.

You gonna eat that?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.