Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: New Ride for Baja
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2018 at 12:05 PM

I was about to pull the trigger on a full-size late 70's Wagoneer so I could scavenged the 401, TH400 (Jeep pattern) and front axle (to shorten), along purchasing and building a Ford 9" from Currie. All for that CJ7 project. Then, not unlike Frank Constanza's Christmas epiphany, I thought, "There has to be a better way." So instead, last month, I sold to CJ7 to a local fella that had been pestering me about it for the past year. Now I can get back to what matters.

First thing was to make tube gussets for the upper arms. Did that and tig'd them in place (after lots of cycling the suspension with shocks mounted to insure no interference problems).

Read enough stories about bulkhead issues with these DDs. Don't think I'll have to worry about that now. Added two additional 3/16 (actually .190) 4130 plates to the existing bulkhead (large holes in to-be center plate .25" larger than orig (front) plate, and to-be rear large holes .25" greater than that). Further, I added two 1.25" 1.20 wall 4130 support tubes ("V" shape) to the upper bulkhead cross tube. After a ton of adjusting, I finally dialed in the right side front end to where I wanted it (8 degrees caster, 2 degrees camber at shock mid-travel). Onward to the left side when time allows. Oh, also bridged the lower front mounts back to the bulkhead. These cars were built with 3/4" heims at the chassis (upper and lower arms). When I built the new arms, I went with 7/8 heims on the lower arms (nearly double the static load over the 3/4 heims). Required drilling out all the chassis 3/4 holes (lower only) and adding weld washers. Front end should be stout. Look for my somewhat yearly update in 2019!

You gonna eat that?
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-11-2018 at 12:50 PM

Like to see progress. Keep the pics coming.
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2018 at 03:14 PM

Some progress.

20180414_152625-800x600.jpg - 177kB

You gonna eat that?
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2018 at 11:47 AM

Looking good! Good thing you beefed up the bulkhead...all my friends who had DD cars had their bulkheads crack.

Love seeing the progress!

Are you gonna run power steering? I had the Fortin 2.5 rack on my buggy and it was flawless. Quality product with zero issues ever!

[Edited on 4-17-2018 by Pacifico]

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2018 at 11:58 AM

Thanks. I have the Howe 118 rack (it's the Howe 2.5 without the hydraulics). Matching that up with Kartek's 400W EPS.

20180416_073939-800x600.jpg - 189kB

[Edited on 4-18-2018 by DeMinimis]

You gonna eat that?
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2018 at 12:44 PM

Just about have the front dialed at mid-stroke. Width at 93+/- Much better than the 100" I had with the factory arms.

However, I keep allowing myself to get sidetracked (and hijack my bank account). Picking up one of these tomorrow (buggy back to the rear burner (simmer)):

[Edited on 6-14-2018 by BajaNomad]

You gonna eat that?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.