BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Pedro Mártir and Meling Ranch
GypsyJan
Nomad

Mood: "If a dog will not come to you after looking you in the face, examine your conscience." Woodrow W

[*] posted on 1-28-2017 at 07:15 PM
San Pedro Mártir and Meling Ranch

KPBS TV San Diego just showed a repeat of their excellent travelogue: http://www.pbs.org/video/2335200650/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-28-2017 at 08:40 PM

Thanks for posting! I have never been to either of those places, and did not realize the scope of the observatory.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-29-2017 at 10:12 AM

Thanks Jan. It has been 16 years since I was last up there, and need to get back.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2017 at 12:46 PM

Yesterday's Crossing South with Jorge Miraz was illuminating and it is on a Baja bucket list.

This is the third best viewing site on the planet, wow, and it is in our backyard. We are fortunate to have this site.

The Meling Ranch got a deserved great review. This sounds like the place to stay, if the lodge at the top is not available.

Jorge had the privilege of staying at the astronomers lodge. I wonder if that is available for any others who wish to see all that they see?

Having an interpreter/guide is invaluable. Thanks Jorge. I never miss your show, whether they are reports or not. The charm with which you conduct yourself, always captures my heart strings. Thanks to all here.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2017 at 12:48 PM

I meant to say, whether they are repeat showings or not. They are always worthwhile, whether they are repeats or not.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2017 at 02:31 PM

The Hispanic Huell Howser of Baja California!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-29-2017 at 02:50 PM
High altitude

Quote; "The Meling Ranch got a deserved great review. This sounds like the place to stay, if the lodge at the top is not available"

The map I have shows Meling ranch at 2100 feet elevation. Anyone with impaired respiratory or cardio function would be well advised to overnight at low elevation, particularly if they are accustomed to living near sea level.

At over 9000 feet, the observatory is at a level that may cause problems for some people.

Edited by the dept. of redundancy dept.

[Edited on 1-30-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2017 at 03:02 PM

The history of the Meling Guest Ranch (Rancho San José) is very interesting and far more detailed than Christian Meling had time to describe on the show.

To learn more about the Meling and Johnson family history in Baja California, this book is a must read...

bajamary1952
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2017 at 04:21 PM

Someone told me you need a 4x4 to get to the Observatory. I visited the Ranch a couple of years ago and was not impressed with it.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-29-2017 at 04:58 PM

The Meling Ranch IS what it is---------a working ranch. If you ever get the chance to stay there, I suspect you will find it is a unique and wonderful experience. I have, many times.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2017 at 05:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajamary1952  
Someone told me you need a 4x4 to get to the Observatory. I visited the Ranch a couple of years ago and was not impressed with it.

====== ===
Now days the road is paved all the way. Only heavy snow would be an issue. Check the web cam and see what the road looks like or check the weather report.
GypsyJan
Nomad

Mood: "If a dog will not come to you after looking you in the face, examine your conscience." Woodrow W

[*] posted on 1-29-2017 at 05:50 PM
The Meling ranch is a Time Capsule Treasure

A working ranch that has gracefully accommodated adventurous travelers of all descriptions and experience (or lack of) over the years.

The last time I was there, at breakfast in the dining room, I met a couple who had flown in from Dusseldorf, rented a compact Subaru in San Diego, headed for Meling, navigated the rocky dirt road, waded the river that was somewhat swollen by spring runoff and were planning to drive all the way to Cabo San Lucas.

I hope they made it.

[Edited on 1-30-2017 by GypsyJan]
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 1-29-2017 at 05:54 PM
Don't bad mouth Meling

Quote: Originally posted by bajamary1952  

Great people
Great food
Great hospitality
Comfy, if Spartan conditions
Maybe you should stick to the Ritz Carlton in Laguna Beach
For me, I will take Meling and good vibes and good memories
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 1-29-2017 at 06:05 PM

Love "Spartan"........ reminds me of the bunkhouses at Rancho Sta. Inez in Cataviña. Stayed there one rainy night in August 2003, had a room with 3 beds in it all to myself, and like Goldilocks and the Three Bears, one was too soft, one was too hard, and one was...... just right...... :coolup:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2017 at 07:07 PM

Great to see the show. Funny, because after spectating the Baja 1000 with Coco in 2006, we stopped at the observatory and Meling on the way home. We arrived at the observatory just before sunset.

El Diablo Peak

Looking east across Laguna El Diablo toward San Felipe

Meling. And btw, the breakfast at Meling was off the charts - everything was grown on the ranch, the oranges for the juice, the eggs, the bacon, etc. - the food was awesome x20!

ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2017 at 08:22 PM

We drove up to the National Park on last month on Dec. 28th, intending to tent camp there - but there was about three feet of snow on the ground. Luckily they had one cabana available ($37) which seemed like a great deal, even though we had to haul our gear about 100 yards through the snow. It had electricity and lights, a kitchen counter w/sink, gas stove, a wood burning stove and firewood, bathroom and shower, bedroom with bunkbeds. We couldn't believe our luck! But hey this is Mexico . . there was no hot water, the stove didn't work, the fireplace flue went sideways through n open whole in the wall and the pipe on outside had fallen off into the snowbank (resulting in a room full of smoke), and the power was shut off right after the sun went down. It still beat camping in the snow, which we were not prepared to do.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2017 at 08:28 PM

Where was that cabin, ElCap?

Great photos StuckSucks... That straight dirt road from Hwy. 3 at the foot of Borrego Mountain to the top of the dry lake points right at the observatory. It is fun to look up 8,000 feet and see the white building from down there at 1,000 feet.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2017 at 08:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
The Meling Ranch IS what it is---------a working ranch. If you ever get the chance to stay there, I suspect you will find it is a unique and wonderful experience. I have, many times.

We were thinking about visiting...unfortunately they charge in dollars. We can stay in a beautiful room at Mission Hotel down the hill for just under $40 or pay close to $90 for a room at Meling. I'm okay forking over the money but have issues with companies that tie their prices to the US dollar.

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-30-2017 at 10:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

We were thinking about visiting...unfortunately they charge in dollars. We can stay in a beautiful room at Mission Hotel down the hill for just under $40 or pay close to $90 for a room at Meling. I'm okay forking over the money but have issues with companies that tie their prices to the US dollar.

Did the room at Meling come with a dinner and a breakfast? I thought the place was great and the family was very gracious.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2017 at 10:25 AM

Historically, it is American Plan, which means meals included... or it used to!

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.