Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Short Trip
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 09:05 AM
Short Trip

Or perhaps I should say Trip Shortened. I aimed my old KLR from home toward Mulege Thursday, a 1000 mile ride I have done many times. Nice ride, lots of green and good weather. Got to Guerrero Negro Monday and turning right off the main drag hit a small patch of loose sand that I didn't see and went down hard on my right shoulder. Very painful but nothing broken, I damaged that same shoulder 15 years ago and have had limited strength in it since. Got a room and loaded up on ibuprofen. friends offered to come pick me up but decided to try to ride north. Took all day with frequent stops but got to San Quintin. A little less pain today and I am trying to get to San Diego where I have the comfort of friends and more option to get back home. I have decided that after more than 4 decades my days of riding solo are done, if I can't find a riding companion or two my trips will be on 4 wheels not two.

Could have been worse. The Spot again proved useful, I sent four location messages yesterday to show that I was making progress north which eased the minds of concerned family and friends.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 09:07 AM

That sucks. Glad you're mostly intact.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 09:11 AM

Riding Motos your always better riding with another. Your on the street Im off road.Still always better to have back up.Hope you heal up well.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 09:15 AM

If you need anything in Ensenada or a place to stop in Ensenada, let me know
KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 10:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
If you need anything in Ensenada or a place to stop in Ensenada, let me know

Thanks, doing better today and expect to get to San Diego. A much easier day than yesterday was. I am grateful for all the offers of help which fortunately have not been needed.
KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Riding Motos your always better riding with another. Your on the street Im off road.Still always better to have back up.Hope you heal up well.

The irony is that the old 650 has done about every back road in the middle of Baja Sur over the past 19 years that I have owned it with few problems. This was the first real crash on the street for me in over fifty years and hundreds of thousands of miles of riding. I am not a dirt rider in your category but have many thousands of "rough road" miles on that bike. No single track unless I'm lost but lots of ranch and fishcamp roads. I'm well into my 70's now but in denial about aging. May have to face reality.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 10:44 AM

Kurt,
Those little sand patches catch us at the end of a good ride....the injury to body and pride leave us unsettled. My hat (helmet) is tipped for you, sir, for all those good Baja miles you have as memories will be with you as you replay the movies in your mind.

You may well continue to ride, even solo, as our injury-based decisions wane as we heal over time....so, be careful with your predictions ;)

Sorry to hear of your dump and not seeing you again on your latest ride down....

I am enjoying the myriad of double-track rides in the Asuncion area both along the shoreline and inland....and my sand skills have improved a lot, so no more complaining from me regarding "deep sand" riding. About 90% of my riding has been solo, so I am being somewhat careful....only one fall in a soft sandy corner at about 20 mph the other day is the only fall in about 2000 kms this trip....no injury except to my current "ride record" pride.

The knees are reminding me of my age....as your shoulder reminds you of your adventures.

Heal well, dust of the old girl, and smile as you enjoy your ongoing miles. :coolup:

Don't believe everything you think....
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 10:49 AM

Oh gosh Kurt...so sorry for your crash but in a way perhaps it was what was needed to come to terms with your denial amigo....be safe!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 10:55 AM

Glad to hear that you are getting back on your own, there are so many different scenarios would have progressively worse outcomes!

When I lived in California, I had street and dirt bikes, and like 90% of newer riders, I considered my self to have above average skills. Maybe it was best that I took a break from pushing the limit, because I am still here.

I was so jealous of Motoged and o3dave on our loop ride in November, they were so much more nimble and faster than me! Part of me wants to get back on a bike again, but I had a closed head injury nine years ago that left me with double vision that took six months to return to near normal.

Near normal still leaves me with diminished depth perception, peripheral vision, and balance. That and turning 70 this year puts me way behind the safety curve if I was to get back on two wheels.

Edited to get Dave's username right

[Edited on 2-2-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 11:23 AM

Heal soon, stay strong and have fun. I quit riding dirt bikes at 67, never had a street bike. It's 4x4s now. Remember what the old racer saying is, "with age comes a cage".
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 11:51 AM

Well, as a pup of 65 years, it looks like I still have some moto miles left....:coolup:

Don't believe everything you think....
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 12:31 PM

49 here, looks like I got a lot of years of riding still to go. Glad it wasn't too serious.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 03:09 PM

I'm on the Central Coast also, let me know if you need anything once you're back. Good luck with everything.
KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 07:07 PM

I made it to my friend's place in San Diego a couple of hours ago. today's ride was better than yesterday. I am already showing good progress which makes me think I just have heavy internal bruising. Tuesday evening I could not lift a fork or spoon, this morning I could. This morning I could not lift my right arm, this evening I can. Shoulder is really quite colorful. I have a riding jacket with good protective armor and I think that probably really helped.

As to riding, I probably will until I can't but don't know when that will be. More caution will be involved and no solo riding in remote places. I enjoy our 4x4 since camping can be so comfortable compared to the minimal nature of m/c camping.

This also showed how great it is to have a network of good friends, I had 2 offers immediately to have a truck show up in GN by today and my partner Kathy was starting to hook up our trailer and head south yesterday but I convinced her to wait a bit. Again this is where the Spot (or similar device) proved its value. As I traveled yesterday I sent a "OK" message about once an hour. Most from places she knows which was very reassuring for her and my son and daughter.

Thanks again for all the replies, I'm off to the Jacuzzi!
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 08:22 PM

you've had a good run Kurt :yes:....time to opt for the cage!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 08:29 PM

I'm sure all is OK but just to be sure when you get home see your Doctor just to be on the safe side.

I was riding at Jaw Bone Canyon near CA City after I retired and going up a sand hill I stalled the bike. When I put my foot down there was a hole and I went down with the bike on me. I hit a rock with my butt. That was in August and I still had pain from it six months later. I never had an X-ray but probably should have. For about 3 or 4 months I would be standing and suddenly I would feel a sharp pain in my right hip and almost lose my balance.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 09:06 PM

At 64 Im not ready to throw in the towel. As the guy I ride off road with (Ed knows him) Mike is 76 one day maybe I will catch him. Here is the thing with heavy Dual sports. Deep sand or little sand on paved road you go down real easy.How you rode that KL650 so many miles off road says Your a great rider.
KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2017 at 11:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
At 64 Im not ready to throw in the towel. As the guy I ride off road with (Ed knows him) Mike is 76 one day maybe I will catch him. Here is the thing with heavy Dual sports. Deep sand or little sand on paved road you go down real easy.How you rode that KL650 so many miles off road says Your a great rider.

Not that good a rider, mostly slow and cautious. Also back in the 90's and before the big hurricanes most of the roads in the San Ignacio, Mulege, Loreto areas were in pretty nice shape. The loop from Mulege-San Isidro-Comondu-Loreto and back to Mulege was an easy day ride. The Mision Guadalupe loop from Mulege was one I rode regularly as a short day ride. Those conditions got a lot rougher or impassable due to storms. I live near San Luis Obispo and have lots of fire roads which are my very favorite riding. Not very challenging but some great places like above Big Sur or the Sierra Madre ridge road East of Santa Maria. Of coarse it is easier to find riding companions close to home which is a good thing.

I am in San Diego with friends and planning to ride home Saturday if I continue to improve, otherwise a shuttle plan is in effect to get me home. Once again, I am grateful for the offers of help.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2017 at 11:19 AM

Such a bummer that you fell but hopefully you are on the mend.

I recommend seeing a doc just to be on the safe side.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2017 at 11:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Such a bummer that you fell but hopefully you are on the mend.

I recommend seeing a doc just to be on the safe side.

Thanks, that is the plan.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.