Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: FMM
fuschiagirl13

[*] posted on 2-2-2017 at 10:30 AM
FMM

We are in trouble! We are newbies to the baja and haven't registered for a tourist permit! We are now in Santa Rosalia. I am stressed out! What can we do?

thanks
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 2-2-2017 at 10:33 AM

Don't worry too much....others will chime in for sure with various attitudes. In all the years of travel in Baja most folks have never been asked for it.....chill

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-2-2017 at 10:37 AM

I would suggest you return to the border, or at least Ensenada and get them.

Doesn't make any difference if you are asked, it's the law.....and some people will tell you to just ignore the law

[Edited on 2-2-2017 by bajaguy]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2017 at 10:50 AM

If it were me I would continue with my trip and have fun and not worry about it. If you are asked for it (which is slim to none) just tell them the truth. The only place I have been asked for my tourist visa in the last 15 years was at Guerrero Negro and the last time was 10 years ago.

My brother and I were in La Paz about 10 years ago and while he had the papers he had not paid for it. He went into a bank in La Paz to pay and they didn't know what he was talking about.

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 2-2-2017 at 10:59 AM

the brown bottles with the yellow caps are great stress relievers! ;)
enjoy your trip
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2017 at 01:47 PM

I'm all for compliance, but the thought of driving back up
for an fmm seems a little cumbersome, although it is the correct
remedy. Speaking only for myself, I would not go to that extreme. Back in the day, I was in Vallarta without an fmt,
went to the airport, got in line with some arriving tourists,
got an fmt. That was when they were free. Not sure the
current logistics would work like that. So your options are limited, as
suggested enjoy your trip, drive cautiously

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2017 at 01:52 PM

Don't worry about it...unless you are taking the ferry... Then you will need your FMM.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-2-2017 at 01:54 PM

Sta. Rosalia has an Émigré office right on the main Hwy 1 on the ocean-front side of the entrance to town, and you can go in and obtain an FMM, and pay for it at one of the local banks. However, because you're now south of the border you will pay a very steep fine for getting it late. Not only the $23 initial fee, but the late penalty is at least 3 or 4 times that much. Dunno what it is now, but ten years ago or so was about $80 per person, may be more now. Your choice; t'was me, i'd drive safely, enjoy my vacation, and make sure to get one next time.

[Edited on 2-2-2017 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

y2kbaja

[*] posted on 2-2-2017 at 03:06 PM

Ten years ago they gave you the papers at the border (GN) and had to have it paid in order to get back north. I remember going to the bank in Santa Rosalia and another trip in La Paz to have them stamped. It sounds different now (since Oct 2015).
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2017 at 03:08 PM

don't go to the immigration office in Santa Rosalia.

We were there years ago and they told another tourist that they were NOT allowed to give a tourist visa, told the person to pay the fine AND go back to the border.

Are you headed further south?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2017 at 04:24 PM

How could you have gotten them if the gas protesters had shut down the INM office when you crossed the border?
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-2-2017 at 04:27 PM

Thanks, Blanca. I got popped there for the fine (for 2 of us) oh, about 8 years ago or so. Did the Guerrero stop usually, but it was right when they'd changed the reg's and on a Sunday (G.'s office was closed), so just went to S.R. the following week. No hurries, no worries...... but man was I surprised, and it was a hefty sum then.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 2-2-2017 at 05:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fuschiagirl13  
We are in trouble! We are newbies to the baja and haven't registered for a tourist permit! We are now in Santa Rosalia. I am stressed out! What can we do?

thanks

How long are you staying, and are you planning on returning by land, sea or air? If it's air, you will likely have an issue. Much less so if by land. If by the La Paz ferry, I think the situation may be similar to flying.

I've only been asked once for an FMM, and it was on the water in Ensenada a couple of years ago. But, I am far, far, from being the most experienced here.

These days, I always get the FMM at the border. I respect the law. However, if I were in Santa Rosalia and was planning on returning by land, I would be very reluctant to go back to the border.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-2-2017 at 08:41 PM

On Monday, near Guerrero Negro, INM was not active, just the guy with the 20 peso drive over spray strip.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2017 at 09:45 PM

too many horror stories out of the S.R. INM office,,, they love to wreck a gringo's day....
had enough problems with getting PR there and had to since we reside in the county it serves...
aren't you supposed to get it at the border and have it stamped at the same time????
Mexico if funny that way......

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
Nashville Frank
Junior Nomad

Mood: Baja happy

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 12:16 AM

Hey bajaguy Terry!
I discussed this very thing tonight, with our Mexican legal rep and he said its not a problem. If some have had trouble its probably when some underpaid official (most of them) sees an easy mark in a gringo.

If its the law, why don't they handle in an open way? Like when you come in on a bus, you get off at their office and fill out your form, then go on your merry way. Not sure how it is on foot. But when you drive in, they look at the stuff in your vehicle and never say a word about the form and the law. Confused? I am! If its the law they're neither communicating it nor promoting its following.

Glad to be back in Baja for two weeks!

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
I would suggest you return to the border, or at least Ensenada and get them.

Doesn't make any difference if you are asked, it's the law.....and some people will tell you to just ignore the law

[Edited on 2-2-2017 by bajaguy]
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 08:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Nashville Frank  
If some have had trouble its probably when some underpaid official (most of them) sees an easy mark in a gringo.
If its the law, why don't they handle in an open way?

Not so sure Mex Imm at the border are extorting $ from Gringos.
Maybe some smaller office within the Country. It is the responsibility of the Tourist to know the regs when
entering Mex. Very easy with all the available info. Mex Imm
is not out there waving tourists into their office. Knowledge of IMM regs,
fishing licenses, etc., are part of the preparation to visit a
foriegn Country. What's that line 'ignorance of the law is
no excuse'

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 09:03 AM

Frank - if your "legal guy" said complying with the national immigration law (being in Mexico without an FMM) is not a problem, I might find a new "legal guy".

If you are going to visit a foreign country, it's up to you to learn and comply with the laws. The Mexican government (or any government) shouldn't have to reach out and spoon feed people. It's another one of those personal responsibility things.

Quote: Originally posted by Nashville Frank  
Hey bajaguy Terry!
I discussed this very thing tonight, with our Mexican legal rep and he said its not a problem. If some have had trouble its probably when some underpaid official (most of them) sees an easy mark in a gringo.

If its the law, why don't they handle in an open way? Like when you come in on a bus, you get off at their office and fill out your form, then go on your merry way. Not sure how it is on foot. But when you drive in, they look at the stuff in your vehicle and never say a word about the form and the law. Confused? I am! If its the law they're neither communicating it nor promoting its following.

Glad to be back in Baja for two weeks! ]
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 09:17 AM

You are in luck, Frank.
Santa Rosalia is an entry point for people on the mainland.
There is an immigration office across from the train in front of town. They are only open 5 days a week, and they are located in a two story white building next to the water.
Don't tell them you have been traveling Baja. It is assumed you came in on the ferry and wanted to get an FMM.
If you tell them you have been traveling Baja...they will send you back to the border.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 09:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
You are in luck, Frank.
Santa Rosalia is an entry point for people on the mainland.
There is an immigration office across from the train in front of town. They are only open 5 days a week, and they are located in a two story white building next to the water.
Don't tell them you have been traveling Baja. It is assumed you came in on the ferry and wanted to get an FMM.
If you tell them you have been traveling Baja...they will send you back to the border.

SONORA is in Mexico, too. Why would one not need to get their FMM at the border with Arizona when entering Mexico?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.